Code readers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've used an MaxiDiag Elite MD802 from Autel. Great bit of kit and has worked on various air bag and engine resets on Mercs and other cars!

One thing to be aware of with these Autels is that there are a lot of Chinese fakes which of course dont carry any warranty so buy from a UK supplier

Yours sounds a tidy bit of kit especially as it works on other car makes if you don't mind me asking what did it cost and where did you get yours from.

Stevellew said:
Yours sounds a tidy bit of kit especially as it works on other car makes if you don't mind me asking what did it cost and where did you get yours from.

I can't remember the price exactly but it was over £200, but it came from a genuine guy selling them on eBay (I think they were £300 retail) so I did take a chance but checked it out once I got it with the Autel site and all was good. I even had the sd card corrupt in it on an upgrade and he replaced the whole unit foc and next day courier

Has anyone bought a code reader that is definitely compatible with a 639 Vito? I want one that will clear the MIL and get me out of limp mode. Looks like there are plenty on ebay with this function but not sure if they are van compatible

Has anyone bought a code reader that is definitely compatible with a 639 Vito? I want one that will clear the MIL and get me out of limp mode. Looks like there are plenty on ebay with this function but not sure if they are van compatible

I have one that definitely works with a Vito (which ever MB actually). But are you sure you need it for clearing codes? What you have to do is fix the fault, the permanent code disappears and most often no code clearing is needed (a stored code will remain but it does not prevent normal operation).

If you don't know what causes the limp-home-mode, you may need a diagnosis tool to find out the fault.

I had the code read and cleared, looks like an airflow sensor fault. Just waiting to see if it recurs before having the work done. I just wondered if any of the cheapish readers would work, seemed like a handy thing to have in the toolbox.

I can't remember the price exactly but it was over £200, but it came from a genuine guy selling them on eBay (I think they were £300 retail) so I did take a chance but checked it out once I got it with the Autel site and all was good. I even had the sd card corrupt in it on an upgrade and he replaced the whole unit foc and next day courier

Thanks for that that's a bit to expensive for me there is lots of those autel ones on eBay with some in this country I will have to keep looking in to things at the moment I might have to just get the Mercedes only one.

hi i have read most of this thread, regarding fault code readers i have been looking for one on e bay as well, most state they are compatible with petrol engines from 2001 and diesel engines from 2004.
i have a mercedes benz A170 cdi diesel on a 03 plate, my nephew tried a D900 code reader today and it would not connect with the car could not find host etc.
my car has the socket next to the bonnet release catch,so if it has the socket i assume it is wired and working. has any one had any experience of a fault code reader for an A170 and if so what make and model was it. Any info greatly appreciated
cheers dave

Which is presumably why they say download the free app and test it before coughing up the ££ to unlock all the functionality.....

I used it with my existing Bluetooth ODBII reader, it found a couple of ECUs but missed the majority of them, and then it found several 'faults' with my COMAND unit which works fine. And yes you have to cough up forty quid before it tells you that it did not actually find any ECUs...

To be fair, it might work better if I bought and used their own BT adapter, as opposed to the generic one I have now, but I do not know....

It is to do with the fact that until 2004 the ODB in a diesel did not have to conform to the standards. I had the same in my Saab. I once sat for ages with a fault and the 1st engineer could not get any codes.
the car did the same error again and the 2nd engineer came, saw the car was a 2001 plate diesel, asked if the first engineer had tried an ODB reader. I said he had, he called him a name and then old me about the ODB and diesels.

So it sounds like as my diesel is from 2005 it should work with the ODB readers? Anyone know a capable one for the w220?

used it a few times now, and it has some bugs but I can work round on those, very easy to use and does communicate with all the ecu's, the text that describes the faults not always in keeping with what a star machine gives, but since it goes the codes it easy to look up after, resetting the faults was very easy and I bought a cheaper Bluetooth obd module from ebay and its worked perfectly so far., all in all a good buy even though it doesn't have the functionality of star to perform test functions, but hopefully over time they may add this.

Oh yeah forgot to say I tried it in w219, w211, w204, w203 and w212

Last edited:
Diesel Benz said:
I have one that definitely works with a Vito (which ever MB actually). But are you sure you need it for clearing codes? What you have to do is fix the fault, the permanent code disappears and most often no code clearing is needed (a stored code will remain but it does not prevent normal operation). If you don't know what causes the limp-home-mode, you may need a diagnosis tool to find out the fault.

Hi , can I ask what reader you have for the vito?
Cheers

Hi I normally do my own maintenance so I would like to have a code reader there ready should a fault arise but I want one that will do the ABS/SRS etc and any gearbox faults basically the best I can get for around £100 but if the autel one would do much the same as the icarsoft i980 I would prefere the autel as I could use it on most makes of car.

Hi there, I'm a Merc virgin but not to shabby when it comes to working on cars

I bought a cheap bluetooth obdII reader off Amazon for a fiver, yes a fiver! it's called a Super Mini OBD II ELM 327. It works on android ios and windows. I was sceptical but it seems to work on my ford focus it can clear the dtcs but as the ML270 I just bought has a dead battery, blown engine and turbo (oil pump issue), I can't read any faults as dead battery cleared them all. But is does connect and can recognises the ECUs with the free android app called iVini app Mercedes (mercwhat 4.11)
and Torque which comes in free and pro versions.

I think gone are the days when we need full blown dtc readers as apps are catching up quick and connecting hardware is dirt cheap

I'm thinking of spending £150 max on a code reader / diagnostics something that can read all or most of the car and I've see these autel ones on eBay for around £100 has anybody used them or is there any better ones out there any help and advice would be a big help thanks.
PS I have a ML270 jan 2004 model
I do have Autel MD802 and in manual selection I couldn't find ML270 so it may be not supported by this device (its regularly updated). So I'd rather ask seller/producer for compatibility confirmation before buying anything.

Last edited:
Autocom CDP+

Hi there, I was just looking at this thread and thought I would throw my 2p into the mix.

I have an Autocom CDP+ and it seems ok.... I am still getting used to the software, but it picks up ECU for gearbox, engine, climate, ESP and many others....

It also appears to be able to code keys (one that was mentioned in a previous post) I am still getting used to working on my car, so I have a steep learning curve to go through.

If anyone is close to Dewsbury and wants to have a look, I will be happy to let visitors use it and could even be coerced into offering a cup of tea or coffee whilst chatting about Merc stuff :D

One of the software packages even offers estimated repair times if people are wondering if their garage if over pricing......

(Cost £80 inc software, connects via USB and Bluetooth apparently, although I only use the USB option)

Last edited:
The autocom CDP + sounds good for the money can you use it on a laptop as my only other alternative is a I/pad and I/phone and they only work with a ELM 327 WIFI and I cant see anything any where near what your looks like it will do on Apple products

Yes, I use it on my laptop.

It comes with Delphi software, but you can find Wurth WOW software for it.... I prefer the Delphi Software to be honest.....

Hope this helps.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom