• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

COMAND Diagnostic Question

amwebby

MB Enthusiast
Car
CL500
I finally worked out how to access the COMAND Diagnostic Menu from my 2.5 COMAND. Prior to the MY2001 update you could use the Mute+1+3 button press method from SYS. Once I'd upgraded to MY2001 that simply wouldn't work. As I have no Aux input that wouldn't work and I tried switching to Tape but that didn't work either.

What I discovered today was that it DOES work from TV. This is on a W215 so you might want to update your instructions on mercupgrades Richard.

This is what I found.

img071007-170007.jpg

img071007-165732.jpg

I now understand why I never receive a text message when I miss a call as SMS is not enabled. Is there an easy way to enable SMS or does this require a visit to the dealer, paying the accompanying charge?

In addition I'm currently looking at upgrading from the Motorola fixed phone to the early Nokia fixed phone, would I have to do this all over again after that?

I also see that the D2B bus is configured for the CD Changer to follow the BOSE amp on the D2B ring, as you would expect, followed by the telephone. However it seems that the Telephone is after the amplifier, then followed by the CD Changer. Is there an easy way to fix this? I.e, can I reset the config or is there an easy way to swap the Telephone and CD Changer so their actual position matches the config?

Edited to resize pictures.

Last edited:
Sorry for the large pictures. I've switched to a wide screen monitor and don't always notice this. I hope the resizing will help people with small ones (ooeer missus!) to answer my queries. :D

Sorry for the large pictures. I've switched to a wide screen monitor and don't always notice this. I hope the resizing will help people with small ones (ooeer missus!) to answer my queries. :D

It's not the monitor size that matters so much, more for the poor people who may still be using dial-up;)
No prob with my BB here, but I know some people have had problems in the past. Thanks for down sizing them.

amwebby - Thanks, i've added the info to my document.

Enabling the SMS only helps if the phone controller supports it, and I think that this was only introduced with one of the later Nokia 6xxx series controllers.
You'll have to get someone with Star Diagnosis to enable that, and to fix the ring order.
Changing over the phone system to a new one won't require any reconfiguration (apart from if you want the SMS enabled or the ring order fixed.
If you're going to change over the phone system, you could consider switching to UHI, but given that the cheap Bluetooth HFP doesnt work with D2B UHI (lots of echo), your plan of a Nokia 6xxx system lets you use the Viseoo which doesnt echo.

Richard

Thanks Richard. The Motorola 2700 handset I've plugged into my W215 does have SMS functionality but, as it is different from the Mercedes 2700, the buttons don't work properly and so I can't access text mode to read any messages. I have tried sending a text and the icon appears on the handset but, as I said, I can't access it from the handset.

The Motorola 2700 handset I've plugged into my W215 does have SMS functionality but ...

The issue is whether the controller (between D2B and the motorola system) does the extended phone system stuff from the D2B standard - and I suspect (strongly) that the 2700 controller does not.

What I quite can't remember is which Nokia controller first supported it. I think it was the 6210i controller (i.e. not the 6150 one) that was the first.

R

So the SMS message gets to the handset via the Motorola transmitter/receiver but may not get from there to the D2B interface and the only reason I see the option greyed out on the phone screen on COMAND, and unselected in the diagnostic screen, is because the MY2001 update added the option to COMAND?

Just got into the dianostic menu (using above and richards instructions) and it seems I don't have the MY2001 update. (The infos screen ONLY shows "Warm start, Battery voltage and TEL: Audio is not muted." There's no other text on the screen so that means not MY2001 right?)

So do I have to buy an update CD from stealer? Or will they have it and charge me some kind of upgrage price? What is that likely to cost and what benefits will I get from having the upgrade?

Thanks,
shr.

Actually, I dont know what the MY01 update does to a S/CL - which is why my document says the menus may differ. It may not change all the menus.

R

On my CL it improved the graphics on the Sat Nav, including putting the red cars on the correct side of the road when there is a tailback, and added a few other things I've forgotten now but noticed at the time. It also altered the entry point for the Diagnostic menu from Sys to TV. As Richard's screen shots show, you can also see a lot more diagnostic information from there once you've upgraded as well.

Actually, I dont know what the MY01 update does to a S/CL - which is why my document says the menus may differ. It may not change all the menus.

R

I have a feeling that it allows DX disks to be used on early S/CL units. Not certain though as I would need to test it first.

I was already using a DX disc before the update, the update did make the software more useable, improving the display and moving the broken down cars to the correct side of the reaod though. :cool:

Does the actual and config difference make a difference? The reason for asking is mines is out since fitting comand since i've never had a chance to get it coded for the dashboard.

None that I've noticed so far, the phone and the BOSE amplifier both seem to be working fine and they interact as you would expect, phone mutes sound on CD player etc.

I have a feeling that it allows DX disks to be used on early S/CL units. Not certain though as I would need to test it first.

My current disc is a DX.
So how much are stealers charging for the upgrade or do I need to order the CD through parts dept?

BTW, when my COMAND powers up, I get the Mercees logo on the screen.
Doesn't that only happen if the MY2001 is in place?
I can receive SMS but don't think I can send them.

Could it be that I have the MY2001 update already but, as richard says, the screens are different on the old shape S Class?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom