• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Command NTG2.5 dead (S211)

Billski

Car
S211 E280CDI
Hi all,

I'm in a bit over my head here and hoping someone can help...

I have a MY2009 S211 (W211 Estate) with the Comand APS NTG2.5. It started to fail by first showing the logo for about 10 seconds then shutting off. Then nothing except for a pop out of the speakers every 20 mins or so. The local MB dealer got a "software error" code and offered a second hand replacement for A$5,000.

I bought the major chassis/components - everything except the DVD changer, Hard drive and front pane/display - quite cheap from an online Chinese wrecker! I swapped out the chassis with all the major boards and was actually surprised it booted up straight away. However:
- All FM stations found and displayed but no sound. Note - this is not a Harman Kardon system.
- No navigation - "please insert disc"
- Bluetooth connects with my phone all the way up to inputting the code on the Comand and phone but then goes into and endless "please wait" and nothing happens.
- When I go to audio settings there is balance but no fader. Also a picture of a two seater - not a wagon (I assume it's a SLK).
- Steering wheel controls and display in speedo console seems to work with Comand unit.

My guess is that there is vehicle specific data stored in EPROMS on one or more of the boards in the chassis that I swapped out but it's seems tantalizingly close to working!

Can anyone give me any pointers if swapping any of the boards from the original Comand may cure the problem (which I am technically capable of doing). Or is this something that the dealer can program? Note: The nav data is original and I don't think the firmware has ever been updated but I can't check now.

I also bought a cheap Audio 20 (MF2770) from a local wrecker out of a 2006 W211 E200 sedan which I would be quite happy with instead of Comand. It has the same connectors - can I plug this in to give it a try or is there some devious pin reassignment that MB did to prevent any simple task being performed by the owner!

Bill

Hi all,

I'm in a bit over my head here and hoping someone can help...

I have a MY2009 S211 (W211 Estate) with the Comand APS NTG2.5. It started to fail by first showing the logo for about 10 seconds then shutting off. Then nothing except for a pop out of the speakers every 20 mins or so. The local MB dealer got a "software error" code and offered a second hand replacement for A$5,000.

I bought the major chassis/components - everything except the DVD changer, Hard drive and front pane/display - quite cheap from an online Chinese wrecker! I swapped out the chassis with all the major boards and was actually surprised it booted up straight away. However:
- All FM stations found and displayed but no sound. Note - this is not a Harman Kardon system.
- No navigation - "please insert disc"
- Bluetooth connects with my phone all the way up to inputting the code on the Comand and phone but then goes into and endless "please wait" and nothing happens.
- When I go to audio settings there is balance but no fader. Also a picture of a two seater - not a wagon (I assume it's a SLK).
- Steering wheel controls and display in speedo console seems to work with Comand unit.

My guess is that there is vehicle specific data stored in EPROMS on one or more of the boards in the chassis that I swapped out but it's seems tantalizingly close to working!

Can anyone give me any pointers if swapping any of the boards from the original Comand may cure the problem (which I am technically capable of doing). Or is this something that the dealer can program? Note: The nav data is original and I don't think the firmware has ever been updated but I can't check now.

I also bought a cheap Audio 20 (MF2770) from a local wrecker out of a 2006 W211 E200 sedan which I would be quite happy with instead of Comand. It has the same connectors - can I plug this in to give it a try or is there some devious pin reassignment that MB did to prevent any simple task being performed by the owner!

Bill

The comand needs coding properly and then the maps loading.

You cannot put the 2006 unit in without a loom conversion. It will go 'bang' if you do.

I suspected the older radio may not be an easy install.

Is the coding (eg from SLK to E wagon) done by the dealer through Star Diagnostics then? In other words could I be confident in taking the working, but incorrectly programmed car to dealer and getting them to sort it out?

Bill

I suspected the older radio may not be an easy install.

Is the coding (eg from SLK to E wagon) done by the dealer through Star Diagnostics then? In other words could I be confident in taking the working, but incorrectly programmed car to dealer and getting them to sort it out?

Bill

All depends on the dealer to be honest.

Some are very good at these sort of things, others not so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom