Courtesy car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscls

Car
2005 CLS 500 V8
MB have given me a B class courtesy car while my CLS is being repaired. The B is an excellent car for a family of 4 or a pensioner but for a busy professional with clients that expect a lux saloon pick up etc its not suitable.

Am I warranted to request a better car as I am convinced if a new CLS owner was in receipt of a repair that he/she would'nt receive a B class. I simply want some relativity, even a CLA or A class would be considerably better than a B IMO.

Relativity...the B class is probably worth more now than your CLS.

Just ask...the worst they can say is no.

Is the courtesy car a courtesy (and free)? If it is the case, it could have been a good deal worse in the 'Here's your courtesy car' stakes. They are not meant to be a direct replacement for your vehicle but a stop gap to keep you mobile.
If you would like something that meets your expectations of prestige, it might be better to hire independently. Just a thought.

Indeed, ask yourself this...could the owner of a brand new B class expect a CLS courtesy car...given that he has paid a great deal more for his car than yours is worth, then by your reasoning, the answer must be yes.

You know the answer.

Is the courtesy car a courtesy (and free)? If it is the case, it could have been a good deal worse in the 'Here's your courtesy car' stakes. They are not meant to be a direct replacement for your vehicle but a stop gap to keep you mobile.
If you would like something that meets your expectations of prestige, it might be better to hire independently. Just a thought.

This is true if I felt entirely to blame for the repair, e.g skipped a service interval or something. A service carried out last month failed to inspect essential components, likely making MB somewhat liable for the repair currently. I feel in this case the least they can offer for inconvenience and a large bill to come, is to give me an equivalent courtesy car.

Although, I welcome opinions should the situation be your own.

Indeed, ask yourself this...could the owner of a brand new B class expect a CLS courtesy car...given that he has paid a great deal more for his car than yours is worth, then by your reasoning, the answer must be yes.

You know the answer.

Simply one perspective, yes.

From a dealer pov, surely its logical to give a customer a relative model, especially if this customer is experiencing persistant problems with his "older" model? If I was a Sales Executive, I would be licking my fingers for a future sale.

I'm sure if your car was 2-3 years old they might think that...but it's 9 years old and they probably don't imagine you will buy new. However, the new B Class owner might well be tempted higher in future.

This is true if I felt entirely to blame for the repair, e.g skipped a service interval or something. A service carried out last month failed to inspect essential components, likely making MB somewhat liable for the repair currently. I feel in this case the least they can offer for inconvenience and a large bill to come, is to give me an equivalent courtesy car.

Although, I welcome opinions should the situation be your own.

So, what did they miss during the service and thereby liable, in your opinion, for the repair?

To put matters into perspective, when I took an A Class in for service my courtesy car was a Smart car. Fun but it really made me appreciate the A Class when I got it back.:bannana:

If they gave you a better courtesy car it might make you want to buy it…

I agree. As a rule of thumb, I have generally found that dealerships have given me the next model up as a courtesy car. The Smart car was an aberration.

I had a B Class when I put my C63 estate in for bodywork. They did a rubbish job on the repair and it went back after an escalation to MB UK, second time round....I got a B Class. Plus point is it was quick, especially over speed bumps.

Another pointless thread.

If you don't like what the dealer has offered, speak to them.

Another pointless thread.

Not at all. If the courtesy car is Petrol, it will no doubt have points, distributor cap, rotor arm, etc., etc.,

Not at all. If the courtesy car is Petrol, it will no doubt have points, distributor cap, rotor arm, etc., etc.,

No, petrols are pointless too, man. Coil packs now, man.
Not as pointless as diesel, man. ;)

Yawn.

Another thread that turns into the SAGA project of pointless puns...

Do you all sit there nodding while incontinently peeing yourself?

Yawn.

Another thread that turns into the SAGA project of pointless puns...

Do you all sit there nodding while incontinently peeing yourself?

Yes, you are right. As always.

But to answer the OP, a new car in replacement for a 9 year old car is not a bad deal.

@ Dieselman, hi-jacking as usual and I know I am not alone in saying that.

The rules are simple, if you dont like another thread, avoid flaming and the fire will extinguish naturally.

I am only asking what others would expect in a similar situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom