• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Current high temperatures.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Obviously this weather is freakish and temporary but just out of interest: Does anyone use screen sunshades or dash top covers to protect the plastics against sun damage? From many overseas trips I've seen loads of cars with damaged dash tops due to prolonged exposure. Maybe this is going to be the new norm.

I keep the car in the garage and don't take it out. I do have have something I put on the front screen for use on holidays in France and would use it here if this weather became the norm. This time tomorrow it will be all over and starting to cool down. Frankly I'm fed up with heatwave hysteria from the media. We were promised record breaking temperatures but today has maxed out at only 32.4 and is now falling even though it was forecast to be 36 in my location. Mind it's more than hot enough and very pleasant to come in doors which I've managed to keep down to 24 even in the hottest south facing rooms. I've gained a new respect for how well the house is insulated. It supposed to be hotter tomorrow but I suspect the hysterical media reporters will end up with egg on their faces. Is this the time to try frying an egg on the bonnet instead; I think not.

Obviously this weather is freakish and temporary but just out of interest: Does anyone use screen sunshades or dash top covers to protect the plastics against sun damage? From many overseas trips I've seen loads of cars with damaged dash tops due to prolonged exposure. Maybe this is going to be the new norm.
We do the Greek thing with a beach towel draped over the steering wheel & dash

It's no different really than most years. 2003 it was .3°c less than the hottest (Cambridge in 2019).

This media hype sensationalism and panic is ridiculous.

Looking at the bright red weather map you think that the fires of hell had come down and it was judgement day.

It's a case of a) Time of year b) Gulf stream directly heating upward instead of across Europe.

This time next week it will be 14°c with localised flooding.

Thanks for your replies. Personally I'm not bothered about what the media says so I don't get too upset and take most with a pinch of salt. I do however listen to what people on here say and draw my own conclusions, there is a fountain of knowledge and a raft of experience here.

It's long-term exposure to strong sunlight and high temperatures that does the damage to interiors. We don't really get that here.

Reactions: HB
It's no different really than most years. 2003 it was .3°c less than the hottest (Cambridge in 2019).

Looking at the bright red weather map you think that the fires of hell had come down and it was judgement day.

It's a case of a) Time of year b) Gulf stream directly heating upward instead of across Europe.

1976 wasn't quite as hot but that did go on for months. The odd hot day or two is neither here nor there really.

We experienced 40C in the south of Germany a few years back. They put temporary speed limits on some roads due to the surface softening, but apart from that life went on pretty normally.

This heat is normal (and prolonged) where my car was designed and built, I'm sure the materials they use are well capable of dealing with it.
It's only because we have the hot air (as KillerHERTZ says) that it is as warm as it is. The sun is no stronger now than any other year and solar gain within the car is the major influence on in cabin temps.
As an aside my car really cools very quickly and without any creaking or clicking plastics. The ventilated seats are impressive in their effectiveness. I know where I'd rather sit in this weather :cool: 😁

Reactions: 190
Been perfectly comfortable here on the Costa-del-Sussex today.

I keep the car in the garage and don't take it out. I do have have something I put on the front screen for use on holidays in France and would use it here if this weather became the norm. This time tomorrow it will be all over and starting to cool down. Frankly I'm fed up with heatwave hysteria from the media. We were promised record breaking temperatures but today has maxed out at only 32.4 and is now falling even though it was forecast to be 36 in my location. Mind it's more than hot enough and very pleasant to come in doors which I've managed to keep down to 24 even in the hottest south facing rooms. I've gained a new respect for how well the house is insulated. It supposed to be hotter tomorrow but I suspect the hysterical media reporters will end up with egg on their faces. Is this the time to try frying an egg on the bonnet instead; I think not.
Breakfast news spent 20 minutes yacking about the weather, including a presenter making a big deal that he had been shit on by a bird. Then another seemingly half-hour on ladies football, the current fad just to satisfy the diversity police. All SO more important than the cost of living crisis, a government in disarray & a war on our doorstep. Regarding the latter we've learnt nothing from the 1930's lead-up to WW11.

Breakfast news spent 20 minutes yacking about the weather, including a presenter making a big deal that he had been shit on by a bird. Then another seemingly half-hour on ladies football, the current fad just to satisfy the diversity police. All SO more important than the cost of living crisis, a government in disarray & a war on our doorstep. Regarding the latter we've learnt nothing from the 1930's lead-up to WW11.
What tell the people the stories that really matter?!

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 11.42.55 AM (1).jpeg

I use a reflective lightweight windscreen shield Mrs C bought for use years ago, does a really good job of reflecting the sun.
As others have said, it will all be over in a couple of days and the media will move onto the next 'hot' topic.:rolleyes:

i don't know why they're giving us all these warnings about not going out - my air conditioned car and the air conditioned supermarket are both a lot cooler than my living room.
I worked in Tokyo for a few years. Summers there were incredibly hot and humid.

There was a rail ring line around Tokyo. People would get on with picnic meals and spend the day on the (airconditioned) train going round & round in the cool either because they did not have a/c or could not afford it.

My sister is visiting the UK from her home in Abu Dhabi. She has a wry smile at the hysteria here that its going to be hot.
Try Mid May to late October where it hardly drops below 40c and has weeks at close to 50c
The latest media coverage smacks of a nanny state talking down to imbeciles that have no clue what to do when its a bit warm.
Fortunately, it won't last.

My sister is visiting the UK from her home in Abu Dhabi. She has a wry smile at the hysteria here that its going to be hot.
Try Mid May to late October where it hardly drops below 40c and has weeks at close to 50c
The latest media coverage smacks of a nanny state talking down to imbeciles that have no clue what to do when its a bit warm.
Fortunately, it won't last.
I lived in Saudi for four years - but . . .

My apartment was air conditioned. My car was air conditioned. My office was air conditioned. Restaurants were air conditioned. Shops were air conditioned.

It's not really the same here.

I lived in Saudi for four years - but . . .

My apartment was air conditioned. My car was air conditioned. My office was air conditioned. Restaurants were air conditioned. Shops were air conditioned.

It's not really the same here.
I worked in the US Mid-West off and on and the outside temps could be 40-45c in summer and very humid. I had to wear a jumper in the office and restaurants/shops the a/c was ferociously cold!

Reactions: Ted
I use a reflective lightweight windscreen shield Mrs C bought for use years ago, does a really good job of reflecting the sun.
As others have said, it will all be over in a couple of days and the media will move onto the next 'hot' topic.:rolleyes:
We always used them in Africa, Oz & ME. Work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom