• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Current high temperatures.

The media appear to be pushing the notion that the current hot summer weather is bad for human health.

The opposite is the truth.

Excess deaths attributable to cold vastly outnumber those attributable to heat according to this piece in the Lancet published just this month.

Here in Buxton we have just passed our previous record hi, and that was yesterday.

I can't stand it any longer, so I'll sit down for a nice cuppa.
Then back to a bit of gardening.

“I worked in the US Mid-West off and on and the outside temps could be 40-45c in summer and very humid. I had to wear a jumper in the office and restaurants/shops the a/c was ferociously cold!”

I remember someone saying to me once “America - land of cold summers and hot winters” referring to exactly that.

Last edited:
I think the temperature at Heathrow might be distorted just a little by the vast areas of concrete and tarmac, and the amount of heat thrown out by jet engines.

I think the temperature at Heathrow might be distorted just a little by the vast areas of concrete and tarmac, and the amount of heat thrown out by jet engines.
To be recognised as an official reading the temp must be recorded by a thermometer (calibrated digital or alcohol) within a Stevenson screen at a prescribed height above the ground and facing north.

It's started raining!😳😳😳
I hope TV will tell ne what to do!🤣
Stay inside and shut all your windows, and only drive if essential. The advice is the same for virtually any situation.

Reactions: Ted
Here in Buxton we have just passed our previous record hi, and that was yesterday.

I can't stand it any longer, so I'll sit down for a nice cuppa.
Then back to a bit of gardening.
Buxton you say? Record you say? I reckon it will be mid teens at best, there’s sometimes snow on the ground in July 😁

To be recognised as an official reading the temp must be recorded by a thermometer (calibrated digital or alcohol) within a Stevenson screen at a prescribed height above the ground and facing north.
Yesterday , my neighbour was standing in the sunlight with his thermometer complaining about the temperature being way higher than the forecast. Obviously never learned about Stevenson screens at school.

We had rain this evening - just as I finished work, got in the car and put the roof down! It was already overcast and had been most of the day, but after the rain the temperature quickly dropped a couple of degrees to 34.5 deg C, in the shade at 2020! 😳🥵

I am expecting deliveries from ebay and the tracking info says “due to the extreme hear deliveries may take longer than usual” and i have no idea why they would take longer its not like the van is going to get stuck in a sun drift or something like that!

I am expecting deliveries from ebay and the tracking info says “due to the extreme hear deliveries may take longer than usual” and i have no idea why they would take longer its not like the van is going to get stuck in a sun drift or something like that!
It’s perhaps acknowledging that the number of parcels delivered by a single driver will reduce slightly due to the heat.

It’s a physical job and outside, and the heat will slow the driver down, and they should pause to take more regular rest/hydration.

Throughput will reduce for occupations too, but the nature of couriering means that it’s either on time or not, hence the message.

40.2C at Heathrow.
I got that too...but the parcel arrived yesterday...4 days sooner than expected.

Increased rolling resistance between sticky tarmac and hot tyres?🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom