• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Current high temperatures.

I worked in the US Mid-West off and on and the outside temps could be 40-45c in summer and very humid. I had to wear a jumper in the office and restaurants/shops the a/c was ferociously cold!
I must admit I'm a massive fan of US air con. They get the temperature & humidity just right for me.

I worked in the US Mid-West off and on and the outside temps could be 40-45c in summer and very humid. I had to wear a jumper in the office and restaurants/shops the a/c was ferociously cold!
I did a stint in NewOrleans (hot & humid) and always had those awful sweat soaked armpits. One of the guys suggested I try a T shirt under my shirt. Purchased a few V Necks and problem solved. That was in the 90s and I still wear a V neck white t-shirt no matter what my outer shirt is.

I lived in Saudi for four years - but . . .

My apartment was air conditioned. My car was air conditioned. My office was air conditioned. Restaurants were air conditioned. Shops were air conditioned.

It's not really the same here.
Ditto - total of 6 years in Qatar (2 tours) . I recall an outing where we were searching for fossils in a land depression and the temp on the dash display was 55 c.

People here get stupid when it gets hot. The arabs sleep all day and go out at night.

We were in Adelaide (2008 or 9), where we had 45+ temps for about 3 weeks and the central a/c in my rented house was not working properly. I was happy to go to work every mornng.

I’ve lived in really hot places most of my life but it usually had a/c. Here we don’t have it and the houses are not designed to be cool.

In Kazakstan we went from -20C average in winter to +50C in summer and my first summer there we had no a/c in our rooms.

Peak temp. was 7 p.m. here in SW France. Thermometer in shade on terrace showed 39C as did the one in the car.

Every year we have been here - 15 years now - we have had 40+ degrees for a week or so in July/August. Highest was 46C. This year is below average.

There are wildfires in the Gironde, mind, about an hour and a half north west of here.

41.7C is the highest in two places, one being Biscarosse, where there are wildfires.

I must admit I'm a massive fan of US air con. They get the temperature & humidity just right for me.
Same with US cars… the Air Con is 😍 heating isn’t the best though I must admit lol

Breakfast news spent 20 minutes yacking about the weather, including a presenter making a big deal that he had been shit on by a bird. Then another seemingly half-hour on ladies football, the current fad just to satisfy the diversity police. All SO more important than the cost of living crisis, a government in disarray & a war on our doorstep. Regarding the latter we've learnt nothing from the 1930's lead-up to WW11.
Perhaps the broadcaster was providing content for those people who wanted to see/hear something other than cost or living, politics and the war in Ukraine?

Or would you prefer every programme on every channel to be about those topics? The great thing is that you don’t have to watch/listen if you don’t want to.

Like anything in society if something happens regularly then it’s expected, and if it’s expected then it’s prepared for, and life goes on because it’s normal.

The challenge comes when dealing with unusual events as they generally aren’t expected or prepared for, and so it has a bigger effect on daily life.

Extreme weather is a good example. UK buildings aren’t designed to manage such extreme temperatures, instead they’re designed with other priorities in mind.

In hot countries daily life has evolved to deal with the heat, like not working and staying indoors when the heat is most intense, and that’s normal.

People in the UK aren’t used to it though, and so they feel the heat more. Unless told some people in the UK will think “wow a beautiful day, let’s make the most of it by…”

Sumbathing all day
Picnicking at lunch time
Going for a long walk
“Doing” the garden

Unfortunately many won’t stay in the shade, they won’t drink enough water, they won’t wear sun block, they won’t cover up, and too many will drink too much alcohol.

That’s not everyone, but for those not used to this type of weather it would be easy to make the wrong decision and put themselves at risk. I bet A&E are busy now.

The extreme weather warnings aren’t too really intended for those who are expecting it and are prepared for it, they’re for everyone else.

I did a stint in NewOrleans (hot & humid) and always had those awful sweat soaked armpits. One of the guys suggested I try a T shirt under my shirt. Purchased a few V Necks and problem solved. That was in the 90s and I still wear a V neck white t-shirt no matter what my outer shirt is.
I do this as well after spending time in Houston. Actually feels a bit weird not wearing an undershirt now!

I do this as well after spending time in Houston. Actually feels a bit weird not wearing an undershirt now!
It just feels more comfortable and cooler - I even wear them under T-Shirts.

Spotted some white dog poo when i was out cycling in the lovely weather. Have not seen that since the 1980 when i was a kid knocking about on my bmx. Brilliant that we are having lovely summer weather in the UK.

Ditto - total of 6 years in Qatar (2 tours) . I recall an outing where we were searching for fossils in a land depression and the temp on the dash display was 55 c.

People here get stupid when it gets hot. The arabs sleep all day and go out at night.

We were in Adelaide (2008 or 9), where we had 45+ temps for about 3 weeks and the central a/c in my rented house was not working properly. I was happy to go to work every mornng.

I’ve lived in really hot places most of my life but it usually had a/c. Here we don’t have it and the houses are not designed to be cool.

In Kazakstan we went from -20C average in winter to +50C in summer and my first summer there we had no a/c in our rooms.
I worked in Bangkok about 25 years ago for 3 years and although we had air conditioning in the apartment we usually used just the ceiling fans except in the most humid couple of months. Found minimising the use of aircon helped us acclimatise. Then had a house in North Africa for 17 years and did the same, usually only the aircon in the bedroom July and August when temperatures were 35- 40 c . Always used a large fan as well to keep the body cooler when sleeping,
The media panic with absurd headlines is a joke , only 35 c here yesterday and it was the first time I’ve been nice and warm since I moved to Wales 8 years ago😂

I worked in Bangkok about 25 years ago for 3 years and although we had air conditioning in the apartment we usually used just the ceiling fans except in the most humid couple of months. Found minimising the use of aircon helped us acclimatise. Then had a house in North Africa for 17 years and did the same, usually only the aircon in the bedroom July and August when temperatures were 35- 40 c . Always used a large fan as well to keep the body cooler when sleeping,
The media panic with absurd headlines is a joke , only 35 c here yesterday and it was the first time I’ve been nice and warm since I moved to Wales 8 years ago😂
The houses in hot countries are designed to stay cool. Large eaves, small windows, good airflow etc. Ceiling fans do the job well. I find it is the lack of moving air that makes me uncomfortable.

Like you, I’m struggling to deal with the UK weather having lived most of my life in hot or very hot countries. However I am under strict orders from the Minister of Finance that we are staying close to the grandkids. I’d rather be somewhere warmer (and drier) than North Yorkshire. Even the UK south coast would be better.

The houses in hot countries are designed to stay cool. Large eaves, small windows, good airflow etc. Ceiling fans do the job well. I find it is the lack of moving air that makes me uncomfortable.

Like you, I’m struggling to deal with the UK weather having lived most of my life in hot or very hot countries. However I am under strict orders from the Minister of Finance that we are staying close to the grandkids. I’d rather be somewhere warmer (and drier) than North Yorkshire. Even the UK south coast would be better.
Minister of Finance?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I must admit the apartment in Bankok was on the 17 th floor and had full width patio doors in every room which could be opened to catch the breeze. In North Africa our house had a 6 m high dome in the bedroom and french doors to a balcony so also made the most of the breezes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom