• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

2013 SL Class - Press Release

Can I just say that even with all the faults etc that have been pointed out in this thread by the folks that really hate the thing, if somebody wants to give me one to run about in during the summer, I am sure I will be able to bring myself to live with it.

8685-2013-mercedes-benz-sl-spy-pics-info-c_3_media_1265454_immagine_newsdet.jpg

THIS RENDERING IS SO ATTRACTIVE.. mainly the front...the rear arch is horrib... How could they mess it up in real life.. i can not imagine :( :( :(

But the dash screen doesnt match up on the SLS either!?!

sls is perfect symetry (apart from instrument cluster ofcourse)

2012-Mercedes-Benz-SLS-AMG-Roadster-Interior.jpg

just angle in last pic was off.. as a comparison, the sls interior above is perfect and stunning and looks like it flows..

the sl interior as follows is ill aligned and distracts from an otherwise pleasant place

2013-mercedes-benz-sl-class-feature-2-635x360.jpg

and the slk is even worse

mercedes-SL-2012-dash.jpg

i just feel that the interior is a big let down in terms of the way they have designed the layout.. it looses its elegance and overall smart sophisticated design that the rest of the car shows.

other members may ask why i am so worked up..

the reason is simple.. i have pride in the brand, and i always am happy when they develop the brand in a way that makes it shine proud and has design cues in keeping with its history and evolution to its future, but when i see this, it just saddens me to think that this could ever be put up on the hall of fame as one of their best car designs ever..

more thought should have gone into the layout.

i mean this dash from 90's is also misaligned

51104870.jpg

but it does not disturb too much as the mis alignment is quite substantial, it does not look like a mis fit, whilst the others do, in my opinion only ofcourse.

i think they got it just right on the outgoing model

mercedes_benz_sl_class_sl65_amg_roadster_2009_dashboard_dashboard-ucc.jpg

oh well.. as long as those who can afford it are happy, i guess that is all that matters...

its just one less car i would potentially be aspiring to... for now anyway

@The Boss,

I know what you mean, about something not being quite right about the design. From some angles it looks as though different people designed different parts and then lumped everything together producing this.

However, I often find that when a new Mercedes-Benz model arrives it jars. It seems wrong. You say to yourself: 'Oi! they can't do that. It's just not right. etc. etc.' Slowly and inevitably, it stops being ugly or challenging. It becomes familiar and comfortable, then it starts to grow on you. Over time, you love it more and more. Then, when they replace it with something fresh and equally different, the shock of the new starts the whole cycle all over again.

All in all, I think the new SL is fabulous. I want one.

I feel interiors was the one place I always felt Mercedes was a let down. These are getting better and better in the new models.

Then you sit in a Jag and realsie they could still do so much better. But it's heading in the right direction. As long as you like most of it black that is.

This is a better dash picture instead of the rubbish carbon wrap. But it still looks like the top half of the dash is from a different car then the bottom half.

The centre vents dont line up with... the centre of the car!

d33589bb118c.jpg
This version of the 140 interior looks a lot better IMO. Seems well matched and in sync to me, despite the off centre air vents

I feel interiors was the one place I always felt Mercedes was a let down. These are getting better and better in the new models.

Then you sit in a Jag and realsie they could still do so much better. But it's heading in the right direction. As long as you like most of it black that is.
Hmmmm.....not sure about that. A good friend has just bought an XF and although it looks very pretty inside with it's novel opening air vents and popping up gear selector (which I hate by the way, reminds me of the old routemaster bus gear selector!), it has too much ambiant lighting and the panels creak and rattle when driven. My 211 and now CLS interiors feel much better constructed, the 211 staying rattle free for the whole time I owned it. Jaguar could ditch the pretty pretty "perceived quality" stuff and start building real quality interiors.... Just my view.

With that in mind, my friend's XF gear selector has stopped selecting Drive!! Back to the dealer, again!

The one thing I can't stand in new Mercs is all this cheap silver plastic - it just looks, I don't know, cheaper...

A mon avis:

It's as though MB are apologising to Bruno Sacco with this delightful design. They are saying sorry we messed up your beautiful R129 Signor, the R230 really was an abberation, but here we are returning to your classic lines. Apologies Signor.

s500colin-albums-mercedes-125-years-brooklands-pt1-picture4536-dsc-0130.jpg

oo an sl60 amg would me amazing from 1999...

From wiki...

"The SL 60 AMG was the most numerous of these rare cars. Sold from 1993 to 1998....."

I have a MY '98 which was one of the last sold.

Why would you expect the dash to be perfectly symmetrical?

If I was driving a 2 seater sports car (or any car for that matter) I would not be standing on the rear parcel shelf. I would be sitting in the drivers seat and so would expect the dashboard to be biased towards me as the driver.

Many cars see the dash curve around the driver to a point.

The only viewpoint that matters on a car like this is from the drivers seat. Nothing else matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom