Cyclist Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm going to see what all the fuss is about and become a cyclist for a weekend...

I haven't ridden a bike since a ill-fated, 10 day cycling trip in Romania (where after 3 days I called a car rental place, which was kind enough to send a car from Sibiu up the transfagarasan highway (which we were halfway up)). That was a few years ago...

So I got myself an excercise bike to train in the evenings...

I'm thinking
10 minute warm-up, followed by:
Week1: 20 minutes, 3 times (mon/wed/fri?) at a reasonable speed...
Week2: 30 minutes, 3 times (mon/wed/fri?) at a reasonable speed...
increment 10 minutes each week, until a 1-hour period is reached.

Then - add Sat/Sun cycle for a few hours "outside" for 2+ hours...

At this point, keep the 1 hour cycling target; but focus on speed, heart-rate and not passing out... (and not hitting a car when outside).

Target is to ride 150 miles in 20 hours (should be easy...) in June/July... (London - Paris via Dieppe)

So... I need:
- Advice on the training schedule
- Advice on a bike (I have a mountain bike which won't work. Some of the routes are a little bumpy, so a road bike wont work. Hybrid/touring? How do I pick a bike?)
- Any other advice?

M.

I was actually thinking/planning on buying the bike second-hand on ebay - then putting it back there afterwards... Bad idea?

I can't see myself liking this - merely putting a check on my bucket-list...

If I were you, I would get that mountain bike going again and train on that, to start with at least. They are much harder work than a proper road bike, and will help you get into your stride quicker as a result.

This gives you plenty of time to find a road bike on Ebay for the event itself.

By the way, in my opinion training for speed for a 20 hour event is just plain suicide. Train for stamina instead. Your sessions should be as long as you can manage.

I am not a fit person (by any stretch of the imagination), but I can disappear for a bike ride cross country (a mix of fields/roads/hills/canal towpaths) for most of the day, putting in 50 miles if I feel up for a good session. I think this sort of work would benefit you most.

If I wanted advice on buying/running a Mercedes, I'd probably not ask on a cycling forum.

Good advice from corned, but you might find a cycling forum to be more useful on this question.

Last edited:
Get the most padded cycling shorts you can find :thumb:

Then put some more padding in them.

Learnt my lesson about padded trousers in Romania... didn't sit properly for a week!

Regarding asking - this forum has proved to be a treasure trove of information over the years; and airing my views (I strongly believe bicycles have no place on the same roads as cars) on a cycling forum would get me.. .well... lynched :p

Regarding training outside - it's cold, wet and ugh at the moment... I have a nice kettler golf pro exercise bike in the guest room now... speaking of which, let's see if I can get 20 minutes in for today...

Regarding stamina - any advice on how to build up stamina?

M.

If I wanted advice on buying/running a Mercedes, I'd probably not ask on a cycling forum.

Good advice from corned, but you might find a cycling forum to be more useful on this question.

There is a multitude of talent on this forum,I would not hesitate to ask any sort of question on here,that's what makes it the special place it is.

Spinal;1384456 Regarding stamina - any advice on how to build up stamina? M.[/QUOTE said:
I visit my gym at least 4 times a week for spinning and rpm classes on a static bike. During these classes we up our stamina instead of going for all out speed.

After a 5 to 10 minute warm up at about 85 to 90 cadence and at a gear setting where slight resistance can be felt, the 45 minute class starts in earnest.

For stamina, set the gears of your bike where the resistance slows you down and with a cadence of about 75 keep to this for 2 minutes. After, up your cadence to 95 to 100 for 30 seconds then drop back to 75. Repeat this 3 times.

After, drop your resistance to warm up level and increase your cadence to 85. This action will clear the lactic acid from your leg muscles. Then get back to the stamina gear and cadence at the increased level.

Repeat the exercises until 40 to 45 minutes is up. Then complete warm down exercises to stretch the calf, quads, and glutes. Take it easy initially until you build up stamina.

Good Luck

Hello

Even if you buy a bike off the bay I would suggest you visit a bike shop to get measured.

If you do like it you could look at the bike to work scheme, big discounts off new bikes.

Get a Helmet also !! and in this weather / dark nights / mornings, some good lights and hi viz jacket.

You also may want a computer and or heart rate monitor.

I would suggest a MTB with road type tyres or a hybrid bike rather than a full on racing bike. I but semi slicks on my MTB to ride to work and you can get more air in them = easier and they are narrower. I also find bar ends make it more comfortable on the hills.

Do you have a mate you could go with? cycle tracks, off road paths. You may find this way you actually like it...

I have done a few long rides in the past. Up to 300km. Best to get a road bike for that distance assuming you are not going off road. Secondhand bike certainly possible but get measured at a proper bike shop so you know the right size. Build up the training slowly. A trainer is no substitute for the road. You need to toughen up the posterior over some bumpy roads! Road bikes take a little getting used to if you have not riden one before. Stamina is more important than speed. Try to get some practice riding in a group like in the peloton. You will be amazed the difference it makes. Your big enemy at speed is wind resistance. Riding in a group can increase your speed by 20% or more.
Before doing the 300km rides I was doing training rides of 40-60km or so. Probably not long enough. My friend did a lot less. He completed the ride but then spent 6 weeks in plaster for achilles tendonitis. Training is important if you are going to enjoy the ride.
Good luck

Thanks - so just did 30 minutes...
Stats:
25.2kmph avg
12.58km total
584kJ
71 rpm avg

Right, so I have my old mountain bike - should I be worried about weight of the bike? (looking online at some info) What about brakes and suspension? My bike is old, steel/iron, no suspension and old bike brakes (not disks). I reckon I can fit some road tyres to it... At least it's a start for the weekends, right ? Better that than nothing?

My other half is the one pushing me into this, so I presume (hopefully not mistakenly) that she'll be joining me on any rides "outside"...

I also need to find a way to incorporate some jogging (1 day a week or so?) and rock-climbing (currently 3 days a week, but I'm going to cut down to 1-2 days a week while I get ready for the cycle trip) and throw in some swimming (currently once every month, probably will stay at that as much as I like swimming).

Sigh... my "free" time is starting to look as busy as my work-schedule...
m.

Riding any form of static bike is no substitute for road work.

Stick with it though - it is a fantastic form of exercise.

My input. Pick up car keys, turn engine on. Engage heated seats and climate control. Turn on radio, turn on wipers and lights if needed. Select D.

Job done.

Judging by my one summer of cycling into work in London, my advice would be to buy a pre-paid funeral plan and update your will.

Or stick to the brand?

elegant-and-handy-the-2008-fitness-bikes-201108241425381219.jpg

Oh, and register as an organ donor, there might be one or two usable when they scrape you up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom