DAB 'Device Unavailable' Message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alfie said:
If you run Autotune/Autostore the stations should come back.
The BBC national stations come back as soon as you leave the area with more than hundred stations.

richard said:
You should report this. This is caused because when the DAB tuner sends >100 stations (now it is fixed) the COMAND head unit ignores anything over 100, and sometimes in fact chops the list really short (down to about 50) - I know this because I put a MOST analyser on the fibre optic network :) I can't report it because I don't have a car with factory DAB :) Cheers Richard

Here's the details

Evening all, thanks for the info. Pretty annoyed having bought a new C63S Estate a few weeks ago to find the dreaded 'device unavailable' message on my dash this evening. The car is booked in, but nothing before the 29th December.

Seems the more you pay, the worse the service.....

Maybe I expect too much, but 20 days to sort out a problem of their own doing is unacceptable. I know we have Christmas, but if I'm driving a 5* car, then I expect 5* service to go with it.

I know we have Christmas, but if I'm driving a 5* car, then I expect 5* service to go with it.

Good luck with getting that from 90% of MB Main dealers. I couldn't wait until my car was out of warranty and I could then use a real garage that know what they are doing with realistic prices.

Hello from a new member!

Just to follow on this thread - I had my c250cdi into Mercedes Waltham Cross yesterday for this issue, they have updated the software on the COMMAND system and now all is well - issue fixed.

I live near enough to London for there to be many stations and have had no issues immediately from the update. Interestingly didn't need to retune to get all the BBC stations either.

Cheers

Andy

The plot continues. Took my C63 in and was told it had been fixed. Jumped in the driver's seat and switched on the radio and it was still just the same....

Not impressed.

Left it with them another day and have now been told it's a problem with a module in the boot. Apparently it's corrupted and won't pair up reliably every time. Works one minute and not the next.

Parts have been ordered, so it will be another couple of weeks with the New Year shut down and availability of a courtesy car.

Anyone know anything about a module in the rear of the car for Bluetooth or similar or am I just being fobbed off?....

Sounds more like an issue between the Dab tuner and the comand head unit than a Bluetooth problem.

Just picked up on this thread. I had a 2016 E Class with COMAND NTG 5.1 and the DAB worked perfectly. Just changed car for a 2014 SLK with COMAND 4.5 and the DAB is virtually unusable. The first dealer I took it to said it was a known SLK issue and although they were working on it, there was no fix. Pretty poor response I thought.
So I went to another dealer for a second opinion. They said it required a firmware update, which they did and said all was now good. It was only slightly improved so I took it back. At first the service rep said no more could be done. I insisted that in a car of that value and reputation, that was unacceptable, especially given that my daughters £7000 SEAT worked flawlessly. His response? "I agree sir" He then brought the service manager who seeing I wouldn't be fobbed off gave me the following info.

"The problem is a UK only problem due to the Mercedes DAB operating frequency. The latest NTG (which apparently my E Class had) resolves the issue. The known problem to older versions (at which point I said my car is still within warranty so I don't consider it old!) is a frequency clash with the motorway smartnav software systems."
I insisted they replace both the DAB aerial and amplifier, which they reluctantly have agreed to do although he was at pains to point out that it may not have any effect! Mercedes Germany are aware. I won't be holding my breath!

Just picked up on this thread. I had a 2016 E Class with COMAND NTG 5.1 and the DAB worked perfectly. Just changed car for a 2014 SLK with COMAND 4.5 and the DAB is virtually unusable. The first dealer I took it to said it was a known SLK issue and although they were working on it, there was no fix. Pretty poor response I thought.
So I went to another dealer for a second opinion. They said it required a firmware update, which they did and said all was now good. It was only slightly improved so I took it back. At first the service rep said no more could be done. I insisted that in a car of that value and reputation, that was unacceptable, especially given that my daughters £7000 SEAT worked flawlessly. His response? "I agree sir" He then brought the service manager who seeing I wouldn't be fobbed off gave me the following info.

"The problem is a UK only problem due to the Mercedes DAB operating frequency. The latest NTG (which apparently my E Class had) resolves the issue. The known problem to older versions (at which point I said my car is still within warranty so I don't consider it old!) is a frequency clash with the motorway smartnav software systems."
I insisted they replace both the DAB aerial and amplifier, which they reluctantly have agreed to do although he was at pains to point out that it may not have any effect! Mercedes Germany are aware. I won't be holding my breath!

Thats the first ive heard of that excuse. Not sure I believe it myself given that the DAB consortium when developed here in the UK would doubtless have known about the issue and it would affect all manufacturers. Plus, how do they explain it not working correctly in rural areas?

Thats the first ive heard of that excuse. Not sure I believe it myself given that the DAB consortium when developed here in the UK would doubtless have known about the issue and it would affect all manufacturers. Plus, how do they explain it not working correctly in rural areas?

I'm far from convinced either, as different dealers tell you different things. It's booked in for 3 July so will report back after that.

i had a fw update to my dab at a reduced cost of £70, but it still cuts out, even on M25!

Hey all

I’ve been lurking around this thread for ages. Could you enlighten me on a fix for this. I had a sw update to erridacate the device not present.

The dab still cuts out even when stationary in a good signal area.

OK.

Further some investigation I've managed to fix it.

Ive unplugged the Kom Module (no longer have a tomtom traffic subscription)
also the aerial that is integrated in the rear screen is the wrong polarity - it is horizontal polarised and DAB band III in the uk is vertically polarised.

I have a fakra internal aerial on order which will be mounted on the o/s back passenger window (coupe) which will hopefully eliminate any further dropouts .

Hopefully this should assist anybody that suffers from the same issue.

Hello there, I own a Mercedes W212 2015 model with NTG 5.1 Screen. I have recently purchased a reverse camera interface from China for my car and I have an unsolved problem. After doing all the steps read from the manual, my car's screen shows "DEVICE UNAVAILABLE" and radio is not working. Anyone who had something like this or anyone knows what i have to do? I have unistalled the interface now so I will do it again if anyone could help me. Thanks anyway

Ok, do you mean DAB radio, or all radio. And precisely what did you actually do ..

R

Hi,

I have a new-to-me CLS with this issue. I'm going into my local dealer (Tonbridge) on Thursday for something else but had mentioned this. The chap I spoke to was a little vague but spoke to a colleague and said there was an update at £138 (IIRC).

Could someone clarify, please, am I asking for a Comand update or just a specific fix? And is there any info I should give, say a fix code or similar?

Oh, and has anyone had any luck haggling with an out of warranty car?

Many thanks.

Chris

Just to update. Tonbridge Mercedes have run the DAB update and, so far, all is good. Whatsmnore they didn't charge me and washed my car :banana:

Thanks to the contributors to this thread for pointing me in the right direction.

Was the DAB update a general COMAND firmware update? Do you know what version they installed? I'd happily cross the Thames if I thought they could fix my 2013 W212 Eclass

Hi all,
I know this is an old thread but I've recently bought a 2013 (63 reg) 350CSL SB and I have the 'Device Unavailable' coming up when I try to use DAB radio. Its fine on FM etc. From reading the thread there seems to be a SW fix for this. I am booked into Brooklands MB on 5th Sept for a SW recall to do with the fuel system and I'd like them to look at the DAB too. When I called them they didn't seem to know about this issue, and requested I pay £150 to have it investigated. I just wonder if someone could please give me details of the DAB update I need so I can just ask them to do it at the same time as the recall? Or does anyone have a contact at MB Brooklands who knows about this issue and may be able to help please? Many thanks.

Just a follow up - the Comand & DAB was given a SW update at MB Brooklands and works fine now. Cost about £100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom