Dash Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I see a number of references to dash cams these days.

I'm not adverse to a bit of technology, but I'd like to hear why people have installed them?

Are they recognised by the insurance industry - "officially" useful in the event of an accident, or just a bit of fun when you've captured some particularly bad driving?

Why did you fit yours?

I'm in the process of fitting one in my works van, the reason being is that I'm currently fighting a "phantom claim" where someone is claiming I have hit them when I haven't. I don't want to go through this again!
I have bought one from eBay for £70 it has a forward facing and rear bullet cam, I'm yet to install it, I'm unsure if insurance company's lower policy's as a resault, but if you had to go to court at least you have a leg to stand on with video evidence.

I'm in the process of fitting one in my works van, the reason being is that I'm currently fighting a "phantom claim" where someone is claiming I have hit them when I haven't. I don't want to go through this again!
I have bought one from eBay for £70 it has a forward facing and rear bullet cam, I'm yet to install it, I'm unsure if insurance company's lower policy's as a resault, but if you had to go to court at least you have a leg to stand on with video evidence.

Do you have a link to the one you bought i have one in my car but not 100% happy with it or any of the others I have looked at.

I would think it can be useful to protect yourself as described above, but bear in mind it will work both ways, if you do anything wrong it could be seized by police and used in evidence.. Of course this is only a issue if you do anything wrong..

I would think it can be useful to protect yourself as described above, but bear in mind it will work both ways, if you do anything wrong it could be seized by police and used in evidence.. Of course this is only a issue if you do anything wrong..
If I remember correctly, you said you were a traffic policeman . I think it would be a great idea to give us all the occasional tips on how to behave on the road. I'm sure a lot of would benefit from your knowledge.

If I remember correctly, you said you were a traffic policeman . I think it would be a great idea to give us all the occasional tips on how to behave on the road. I'm sure a lot of would benefit from your knowledge.

I am mate, where ever i see a post where i think i can assist (official opinion) i will. Only issue is, there is the law and there is local force policies which can vary from place to place, but if i can assist i will.

Use one a lot of the time when i am out on my motorbike, you would be amazed how many people pull out on me even though i have all my lights on and its a bloody big bike.

I always find policemen very helpful. He is where one parked my car when I lent it to him. I think it was secure enough.

Last edited:
I always find policemen very helpful. He is where one parked my car when I lent it to him. I think it was secure enough.
I love the "Firearms Vehicles" painted on the ground; as if the two police cars were not enough. LOL

I have a Prestigio cam.
Suckers onto the windscreen and is not too big.

It also has a flip out view finder.

Pretty cheap, about £130

1080p HD

I have a 32GB memory stick in it.

Rechargeable via USB cable or 12v plug in the car.

You get a hdmi cable with it too.

Good quality image. It does giggle about alittle on rough roads but not too much.

It has a self stabilising system.

Bought it just to have when out with friends for drives.

May upgrade to a gopro though.

:thumb:

Windscreen mounts are not illegal unless they obscure thr drivers view (common sense) mounted behind the rear view mirror, bottom right of drivers area or on the upper or lower left in the passenger view are legal and admissible as evidence in court. The footage from my front facing camera recorded 2 outrageous driving incidents and was used to secure the convictions of the offenders.:thumb:

Windscreen mounts are not illegal unless they obscure thr drivers view (common sense) mounted behind the rear view mirror, bottom right of drivers area or on the upper or lower left in the passenger view are legal and admissible as evidence in court. The footage from my front facing camera recorded 2 outrageous driving incidents and was used to secure the convictions of the offenders.:thumb:

I get ya. :thumb:

And yes, it's amazing what you can capture. Makes for interesting viewing when playing back footage.

:thumb:

Never understood that.

How is it illegal to have a camera mounted to the screen and not illegal to have a sat nav mounted to the screen? :confused::dk:

Sat nav windscreen mounts are equally as illegal if they obstruct the drivers view, same law applies :thumb:

Last edited:
I see a number of references to dash cams these days.

I'm not adverse to a bit of technology, but I'd like to hear why people have installed them?

Are they recognised by the insurance industry - "officially" useful in the event of an accident, or just a bit of fun when you've captured some particularly bad driving?

Why did you fit yours?
Hi,
Just to let you know we have some insurance schemes that offer discounts for certain in car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
Just to let you know we have some insurance schemes that offer discounts for certain in car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

Who's we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom