Dead pixels in LCD dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

traser

Car
S350 Bluetec W221 2011
Hi,

Occasionally in the gear and time display some of the pixels are missing. Next day they may be back or others may be dead. Is this a known issue or has someone seen it before? The car is a W208 CLK.

Thanks!

Is it heat related? I'd often get this on my Audi A4, when the interior of the car was warm more pixels would die.

I very much doubt there is a way to fix it other than replacing the entire LCD. A dealer might just sell you the entire board for a fortune, but I would guess anyone handy with a soldering iron and a few brain cells could remove one from a scrapper.

A total guess here, but whatever IC controls that display may be running hot and malfunctioning - in a similar way to a computer gfx card behaving strangely when too hot? Total guess though.

this is very common. I havent repaired any of mine recently, but there used to be adverts in the back of the autotrader of guys that would repair LCD's.. much cheaper than the replacement parts...

I suspect it's not heat related as there are dead parts of the display all the time, but sometimes a few come on and off during driving.

Quite odd. Is it related to the model of car or MB in general, do you know?

Thanks!

Parrot of Doom said:
Is it heat related? I'd often get this on my Audi A4, when the interior of the car was warm more pixels would die.

I very much doubt there is a way to fix it other than replacing the entire LCD. A dealer might just sell you the entire board for a fortune, but I would guess anyone handy with a soldering iron and a few brain cells could remove one from a scrapper.

A total guess here, but whatever IC controls that display may be running hot and malfunctioning - in a similar way to a computer gfx card behaving strangely when too hot? Total guess though.

We get the same on the temp display of our w208 CLK 430

The large main display is fine, but the left hand temperature one has a few missing, can make it difficult to distinguish between 1 degree and 7 degrees for example ...

It's the plastic ribbon cable that attaches to the board, the rubber pressure pad above it is inadequate, so the ribbon cable loses connectivity.

A post from a few days ago has a poor explanation of my fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom