Deeply disappointed with DVLA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Diddums.

In times such as these I would be grateful that this is your biggest concern to be fair 😂
That’s a fair point but it’s also nice to talk about something different for a change.
There’s a thread on the Off Topic section that should be re-named as the Going Around In Circles thread.

I used to do lots of reg retentions and transfers for customers when I worked in car sales. The vast majority I did in person at the DVLA office in Reading, most of which went through while I waited with no bother whatsoever. Just occasionally, and purely at random, they would retain an application for further scrutinise, which could take anything from a couple of days to several weeks. Talking to the guys at the DVLA I discovered that it’s the luck of the draw as to who gets to deal with the application, and if that person goes off sick before completion the application is left in their tray. I’m guessing quite a few DVLA staff are going off sick at the moment. You just have to wait.

Reactions: 219
I'm not the best at Maths, but doesn't this statement imply that the Plate is on your other Merc? :oops:
I put the plate on a merc estate 2-3 weeks ago when i received it with no problems. I then bought my SL, quicker than thought, got the documents from dvla within a few days for the SL so htought i'd put the plate on the SL. Managed to have it taken off the estate for a fee of £80 but not put the plate on the SL and today still can't. "Our records show this registration number cannot be put on this vehicle." this is the message i get which is a bit concerning, which is more a problem than putting it on. I can't find out what their records are showing as a problem.

I've got too much time on my hands at the mo and internet shopping is a bugger. ;)

Got the plate for a bargain price, in the hope of selling it to the local SLS owner, to help fund a new roof on my R129 SL500 and rust removal on its front wings as well as some paint correction. I put it on a C250 estate I have but then found someone with a 2007 R230 SL500 with only 36k miles in gr8 condition who wanted a Passat estate i was trying to get shot of. So am now the proud owner of a 2007 SL500 which i am in love with, the number plate SL56 ENZ I am trying to put on the R230 and the Passat which i didn't like is gone. All achievable because of the internet and the time i now have.

Are you actually reading the answers posted here?

Too many transfers of a plate in too short a time trigger an alert in the DVLA system that prevents the transaction online. You will have to post the V5 for your new, 3rd?, vehicle and the retention cert so DVLA can authenticate

Rest assured you won't have to pay another £80 to transfer to your SL - at least i didnt a few years ago when i took a plate off a car to retention then c1week later tried to transfer to my new car

Are you actually reading the answers posted here?

Too many transfers of a plate in too short a time trigger an alert in the DVLA system that prevents the transaction online. You will have to post the V5 for your new, 3rd?, vehicle and the retention cert so DVLA can authenticate

Rest assured you won't have to pay another £80 to transfer to your SL - at least i didnt a few years ago when i took a plate off a car to retention then c1week later tried to transfer to my new car
The plate was put on one car 2-3 weeks ago then taken off this week to go on another. Would that be seen as a short time? so 2 cars in 3 weeks, with only one being successful
l
Strange this as i purchased a private plate 2 weeks after lockdown from dvla and the turnaround was very quick. All the paperwork arrived within 5 days and i just did the rest on the old tinterweb and within 5 mins the plate could go on the car.
That was my experience 2-3 weeks ago, until this week.

When I put the registration number on my car, it was all done via the web, no contact with DVLA at all. Just had to print off the paperwork so you can order the replacement number plates.

Now there is where the problem could arise, can you buy the number plates to go on your car from a bone vide number plate establishment?
Plates already made up and were put onto my other Merc.

Did two cherished transfers 5 weeks ago by post. Still waiting.
Latest update is no paper applications until further notice only online.

You have answered your own question really. We have a worldwide lockdown. Most of the workers will be either working at home or as previously mentioned a skeleton staff.

The staff which are keeping it ticketing over are no doubt risking themselves every day going in.

You need a little bit of a reality check with a global pandemic and swapping a number plate over isn't exactly an essential task... I'm amazed they are still open at all. (No disrespect intended)
None taken. And the online service is automated isn't it so i don't imagine computers suffer from this virus.

Jeez it's only a number plate................:wallbash:
If you’d looked at my posts the worrying thing is the message I get “Our records show this registration number cannot be put on this vehicle." That is more concerning as I just bought the car, it’s passed hpi, the number plate is for the year before. So I’m not crying cause I have to wait but am concerned over the message.

Got my V5C through last night for my new 2007 SL500 and thought great I can put the private plate on it. Managed to go through the process of taking my plate off my other car and they managed to relieve me of £80 for the privilege. Next stage, apply to have plate put on new car. "Our records show this registration number cannot be put on this vehicle" was the unhelpful message I got. the number plat is a 56 for a 57 car so the problem isn't there and there was no problem putting the number on another car recently so the plate is ok. Now I understand about COVID-19 but there was no warning at any stage in the process, which online is automated. Also very very confused as to how they can deal with one half of the process but not the other. Also we have been in lock-down since March 16 and i managed to go through the entire process with another car 2 weeks ago with no problem. They won't answer the phone unless your a key worker and the service is unavailable until further notice according to the phone message you receive when you call.
As long as you have the mark on a retention certificate , usually valid for a year , I wouldn't worry too much ; it will get sorted in the end , Just make sure you keep your insurer up to date with what is going on ,

I'm not going to read through the whole thread but, when you took the reg off your old car did you put it on a valid retention certificate?

I'm not going to read through the whole thread but, when you took the reg off your old car did you put it on a valid retention certificate?
I’m taking it from one car straight onto another, done it before with no problems. Got the plate a month ago and put it on my C250. Got the SL last Friday and the V5 arrived wednesday so tried to switch the plate to my new car Thursday. Managed to have it taken off the C250 but then got the worrying message when trying to put it on the SL

I just got my plates off gaybay
Plenty of online number plate makers will make up the plates with no documentary evidence, not legal but the police have more important things to do than inspect every number plate on every car. I've used www.platesforcars.co.uk in the past.
I realise you can buy number plates online, but are they legal, according to the DVLA? Flowrider says not, hence the reason they may not be willing to issue the number plate. And by the way, I have been pulled twice with bad spacing on my number plate, the gap between the first letter and number was too big, even though speed cameras could read it :(

Have you checked the details held by dvla in case they have the wrong details? Check tax and/or mot status?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom