Deeply disappointed with DVLA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a whole list of reasons that plates don't go through the online system without a hitch.
One of the most common is if there has been a gap in taxation history of the car the plate was on at some point.
Normally, they will inform you that this reg. can not be transferred online and will be have to be done by the old snail mail.
This does eventually happen, but I can understand that in these Covidian times why it is going to take longer.

Last year I retained the registration, K****, from a car, a 124, and at the same time I wanted to transfer another number I already had on a retention certificate, A****, onto the same car. Because I had retained the K**** plate, the 124 had to go through the process of being re-registered by DVLA to its original reg no., L****, before any other transfer could be made. I therefore had to wait for the new log book to come back from them with the reg, L**** before I could transfer A**** onto the car, as you need the new log book reference number for the recipient vehicle. I have owned both car and plates for a number of years, so not sure of new keeper processes in this regard.

I recently bought a reg from Premier Plates and they took a personalised plate off my car before transferring the new reg to my car. They told me I would receive my replacement V5C and the retention document directly from DVLA Swansea around 5 days after they removed the existing personalised plate from the car, and I did. They then transferred the new reg using my replacement V5C and it was completed the same day.

I recently bought a reg from Premier Plates and they took a personalised plate off my car before transferring the new reg to my car. They told me I would receive my replacement V5C and the retention document directly from DVLA Swansea around 5 days after they removed the existing personalised plate from the car, and I did. They then transferred the new reg using my replacement V5C and it was completed the same day.
Shameless advert from a 1 post "new member", holy thread resurrection.

Pretty much guarantees I'll never use "Premier Plates". Well done.

Shameless advert from a 1 post "new member", holy thread resurrection.

Pretty much guarantees I'll never use "Premier Plates". Well done.

To be honest, I am not sure this was spam.

My experience is that all major private plate dealers provide this service as standard (and this is in part how they earn their commission). The last one I used was National Numbers Private Number Plates & DVLA Registrations | National Numbers , and they were brilliant - the service was exactly as @fastyam described.

At any rate, I don't really see the logic in advertising a private plate dealer brand - it's the stock that sells, not the brand. Buyers look for the plate they want, then buy it from where it's available (and, if available from more than one source, from where it's cheapest). I can't imagine anyone visiting (say) regtransfers.co.uk and buying just any plate from them simply because they are have a strong brand image.

The obvious issue is that you get the '5-star' service only when buying or selling a plate via a reputable plate dealer, but when simply transferring a private plate from one car to another you need to navigate the DVLA system yourself.

Which is also why the post by @fastyam is irrelevant to this thread (even if it isn't spam).

Last edited:
It was a retrograde step closing all the branches of the DVLA where you could complete any business dealing with registration or number plates sat in front of a human being,our nearest one was Chelmsford and they were superb even when I turned up with a kit car they had a guy who knew what had to be done.

It was a retrograde step closing all the branches of the DVLA where you could complete any business dealing with registration or number plates sat in front of a human being,our nearest one was Chelmsford and they were superb even when I turned up with a kit car they had a guy who knew what had to be done.

They went the way of the Dodo.... together with (many) high-street bank branches and (most) Post Office branches.

DVLA were very prompt for me recently. I swaped my wife's personal plate on her car and the new V5 came in 3 working days.

I wonder if the OP has got over his deep disappointment yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom