Different Car - Different Reaction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A day driving in central London might change your perspective.

There's an enormous difference in behaviour between driving in the city and driving we're I am outside the M25. Much of it certainly appears to be vehicle dependant.

Agree, there is massive difference. I live in inner London and this is my experience on London roads. Going out into Surrey for instance and the driving experience is pleasant regardless of the car i am driving.

+1 Pobody.
People see an old small car and automatically think it is deliberately trundling along the road way below the speed limit and holding them up.

These people need to look past the car in front. There is a line of cars in front of me, I can't go faster!

Last edited:
I`ve driven all sorts of quick cars over the years but never really encountered any problems. I do remember one incident though, about 5 or 6 years back. I was in my Scooby (340 bhp/ 348 torque) and an E46 M3 was trying to push me along, tailgating really bad. We got to a very long (clear) straight and he started to overtake..., when he got alongside, I just dropped a gear and went. He was a spec in the mirror very quickly and he pulled back in. Not clever :rolleyes:, but he wound me up....apart from that, nothing really.

People who increase their speed when they see another car trying to overtake them should be made to re-take their driving test.

People who increase their speed when they see another car trying to overtake them should be made to re-take their driving test.

My wife's grandmother was a driving instructor, but even she does this and it drives me mad!

For example; she'll be driving up (or down) a mountain pass in rural NSW, and a queue of traffic will start forming behind. As soon as there's an overtaking lane she speeds-up because "it's now safe to drive faster".

I'd rather let people go. - If I'm not driving fast enough for them, and there's an overtaking lane, then that's their chance to safely overtake me.
Even if I was going to overtake someone else, I'll let the car that has already lined me up past first.

All small cars must be slow, so have to be over-taken or muscled out of the way.
All German saloons are driven by impatient louts, so should be treated with contempt.
Any "sporty" car must be driven by a boy racer.

Seems reasonable as a working assumption...:D

It seems as though people don't try it on as much with the CL compared to an A Class I had temporarily on loan.

It makes no odds to me because I drive in exactly the same way regardless of car.

I have noticed I get let out way more than I thought I would. A lot of people seem to think I don't look my age - maybe early 30s as I understand even though I am 41, but I would have thought this would have a negative impact.

I think a lot of it is your driving style though. Since I am very chilled wafting around in the CL, I don't pull up abruptly to junctions and roundabouts etc. when busy and simply waft up to the line, stop and wait. Not trying to edge out in an aggressive manner. Eye contact is good too. I always thank people for letting me out as well, which hopefully improves the bad image this badge has...

I get a completely different experience driving a classic to a modern car. I'd prefer less close up attention though - eating into my safety zone simply to gawp is not enjoyable.

I know just what you mean, it's the same in the JZR, in fact it's frustrating sometimes, when someone pulls alongside, either to gawp or to take a photo, and by doing so, they box me in when I want to overtake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom