Distronic triggers speed camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't have a problem with the French speed limits - they seem pretty well thought out to me.

Generally speaking I would agree, apart from the speed limits going up or down like a yoyo in relatively short distances. Wherever there are exits and slip roads for instance, 130 to 110 or 90 and then back to 130. Very easy to miss one sign if distracted or on unfamiliar roads and find yourself over the limit.

I do about 6000 miles a year in France and I don't have a problem with the French speed limits - they seem pretty well thought out to me

Agreed I find the whole setup very logical. They also telegraph where the speed cameras are by putting a warning sign up first.

I reckoned 80 % of the ones I saw had been burnt out.

This is worth reading before you take your car over there:

Driving offences and penalty fines in France

I like the fact that speeding by up to 20 kmph in a 50k mph limit carries a bigger fine that than speeding by up to 20 kmph in over a 50kmph mph limit ( i.e. out of town).

I think I'm due a 45€ fine in the post ....

View media item 8616
I cant work out from your link how many Euro's this would cost?

Still boasting about it . . . ? :(
Nah Just like everyone else here I stick to the speed limits. Just asking for a friend who was in this car that I was following...…:(

View media item 8616
I cant work out from your link how many Euro's this would cost?

Your car and a long walk home, followed by a long legal battle to try and get your car back form the French authorities before they crush it!

My 45Euro fine turned up today..

Your car and a long walk home, followed by a long legal battle to try and get your car back form the French authorities before they crush it!

My 45Euro fine turned up today..

Pity about your fine...its best to stick to speed limits :)

I'm always optimistic but did you factor in this with your opinion? :confused:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

35 euro fine for inadequate stopping, whatever that is - you're either stopped or you're moving :confused:

The car was set to follow speed limits on Distronic.

When you say 'Distronic' I presume you mean the speed that the Sat Nav thinks is correct for the road?
DO NOT TRUST THAT!

Soon after I got my car I was cruising home round the M25 on 'autopilot' doing a comfortable 70 when suddenly the car slowed down to 40. I thought something was wrong but then noticed that the speed in the Sat Nav was showing 40. Luckily it was quite late at night and there was nobody behind me, but if there had been it could have been nasty.

Since then I've noticed a lot of roads where the sat nav displays completely the wrong speed limit. When I'm in control I happily go at the speed I am sure is correct. Distronic has to obey the sat nav, and Becker have very little idea of roads in the UK or France in my opinion.

you must have a posh cruise control, my distronic only goes to the speed limit I manually set if there are no cars in the way, it doesn't seem to follow speed limit signs , unless there is another setting I don't use

you must have a posh cruise control, my distronic only goes to the speed limit I manually set if there are no cars in the way, it doesn't seem to follow speed limit signs , unless there is another setting I don't use

Mine is the same, even though the cameras will pick up the speed limit signs and display them on the dash, it doesn't slow down for them.

I always forget that when I switch on cruise control, it reverts to the last speed set, not the current speed...

I need to remember to move the cc stalk the other way to set current speed...

DUH! Sorry, it was a bad day yesterday :rolleyes:

I was thinking of the autonomous driving feature on my E-Class which will keep you to the speed limits as defined by the sat nav. I think it works in conjunction with Distronic so that's probably why I was confused (honestly!)

I was thinking of the autonomous driving feature on my E-Class which will keep you to the speed limits as defined by the sat nav. I think it works in conjunction with Distronic so that's probably why I was confused (honestly!)

This is what I was doing - up till thne the car had been faultless on the French roads. I was even rather impressed with it as when entering 50kmph limits in villages it would slow down before, so as it passed the 50k sign it would be at the speed limit. Normally it doesn't start to slow until it reaches the limit sign.

This is what I was doing - up till thne the car had been faultless on the French roads. I was even rather impressed with it as when entering 50kmph limits in villages it would slow down before, so as it passed the 50k sign it would be at the speed limit.

I have to agree it is a nice feature but is let down by the poor mapping. It takes it's speed from the map data and that is woefully inadequate in many respects. I've never been a fan of Becker sat navs ever since I had my C-Class that used it.

Mine is the same, even though the cameras will pick up the speed limit signs and display them on the dash, it doesn't slow down for them.

Ahhh I see, looks like we've both got the poverty spec cruise control, presumably because we dont like shelling out for fines when the more advanced system fails !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom