• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do we still have engine snobbery?

Agreed, its not about engine snobbery as regared EVs, coz they obviously haven't got one.
But it's definitely a resistance to change as far as EVs are concerned. And absolutely, definitely a case of ignorance. 🙄🙂
I think ignorance is too strong a word.

I’ve 2 issues with EV’s. Price and charging.

I would say that engine ignorance is more prevalent than engine snobbery. Much pub talk about BHP and Torque 0-60 times Etc. Most of it is nothing more than bragging rights and of little or even less than zero use in some cases.

I was talking to my mate's builder the other day. He has a 213 E Class hybrid and I was explaining that my debadged 212 was a 5.5. I went on to sat that it's supposed to do 0-100 in 11 point something seconds. He then told me his hybrid way way faster and could do it in the 7s.

I walked away bemused. A couple of days later it occurred to me that he's Eastern European and was probably thinking in terms of 0-100 kmh not mph.

But the the fact that he thought his 2.0 hybrid would be WAY faster than a 5.5 V8 does show the sketchy grasp the average non-petrol head has on all things automotive.

I grew up surrounded by people convinced that a Cortina 1.6 was pretty much the pinnacle of all aspirations and therefore most definitely the best car EVER. It wasn't worth the debate, TBH. Still isn't.

Have to say I don’t think Iv seen any facelift C Classes in general. Are they really that bad?

I would say yes, particularly of AMG owners as they believe that anything less than eight cylinders isn’t an AMG. The new AMG 43s are only 2L four cylinder and are very fast, but I think there is a sense of mockery by the V8 owners.
It’s a bit strange really, because those 43s are faster than AMG of old that have more cylinders.
I don’t understand the obsession with the number of cylinder an engine has, but having said that the sound of a V-8 whether it’s a 55 or a 63 is just glorious

I would say yes, particularly of AMG owners as they believe that anything less than eight cylinders isn’t an AMG.
I’m sure there are some AMG owners who think that, but I suspect that it’s a minority, and a view shared with many non-AMG owners too. I’d set that aside from those who simply prefer V8s but don’t dismiss V6/I6/I4 engines.

It’s human nature to hold on to what went before and to remember it as being better than it was, and then transpose that enhanced memory to compare it to what is to come. Unsurprisingly we conclude that the past is better.

I think ignorance is too strong a word.

I’ve 2 issues with EV’s. Price and charging.
And range. Once the battery technology gets there, and I expect it will, I can live with the price; I'll miss the sound and fury of a big V8 doing its stuff, but once an electric car meets my needs, I'll have one and put up with the lack of soul.

I’m sure there are some AMG owners who think that, but I suspect that it’s a minority, and a view shared with many non-AMG owners too. I’d set that aside from those who simply prefer V8s but don’t dismiss V6/I6/I4 engines.

It’s human nature to hold on to what went before and to remember it as being better than it was, and then transpose that enhanced memory to compare it to what is to come. Unsurprisingly we conclude that the past is better.
100%

The new C63 looks unreal. However i would also take an older V8 [if someone wanted to pay the fuel and tax]

I would say yes, particularly of AMG owners as they believe that anything less than eight cylinders isn’t an AMG. The new AMG 43s are only 2L four cylinder and are very fast, but I think there is a sense of mockery by the V8 owners.
It’s a bit strange really, because those 43s are faster than AMG of old that have more cylinders.

The 2 litre/4 cyl AMG A45 has been around for 9 years now - the first version of that did 0-62 in 4.2 secs, 3.9 secs for the current 'S'. Pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom