• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do we still have engine snobbery?

Hi , I loved my last Mercedes Benz 2015/16 C207E400 that gave me many hours of enjoyment with the premium badge.

However my MB is no more and I had to choose another set of wheels.

Mrs Boyband did not want another 2 door car and I understand why so we spent many hours before making our choice and it's different.

I fully understand that members on this forum like me love their car but it not a Mercedes for me.

I chose a Skoda Superb 1.5 tsi SE L with the manual gearbox that is electronically controlled with most of the toys that I did not have on the Mercedes.

Is the car as well built as my old Mercedes , clearly not , but it's closer than I thought possible and the car does not have a single rattle or unexplained sound.The internal space is excellent and the boot size is unbelievable.Its has considerable more space than the E class Mercedes.

What I would say that when you are in the car you cannot see the badges or the name Skoda across the boot.

You cannot compare the VW 1.5 petrol engine against the Mercedes M276 engine but the gear box is considerably smoother in the Skoda.

The Skoda is slow in comparison with the Mercedes-benz but it gets me from A to B in comfort.

The supplying Mercedes dealer was excellent and have passed my concerns on to Mercedes Benz regarding the safety features that did not work on my car.( No acknowledgement from MB )

Unfortunately you don't know is all the high tech equipment works until you need it !

To conclude if you had told me I would be driving a Skoda 3 months ago I would have shown you the door.As they say don't judge a book by it's cover.

Hi , I loved my last Mercedes Benz 2015/16 C207E400 that gave me many hours of enjoyment with the premium badge.

However my MB is no more and I had to choose another set of wheels.

Mrs Boyband did not want another 2 door car and I understand why so we spent many hours before making our choice and it's different.

I fully understand that members on this forum like me love their car but it not a Mercedes for me.

I chose a Skoda Superb 1.5 tsi SE L with the manual gearbox that is electronically controlled with most of the toys that I did not have on the Mercedes.

Is the car as well built as my old Mercedes , clearly not , but it's closer than I thought possible and the car does not have a single rattle or unexplained sound.The internal space is excellent and the boot size is unbelievable.Its has considerable more space than the E class Mercedes.

What I would say that when you are in the car you cannot see the badges or the name Skoda across the boot.

You cannot compare the VW 1.5 petrol engine against the Mercedes M276 engine but the gear box is considerably smoother in the Skoda.

The Skoda is slow in comparison with the Mercedes-benz but it gets me from A to B in comfort.

The supplying Mercedes dealer was excellent and have passed my concerns on to Mercedes Benz regarding the safety features that did not work on my car.( No acknowledgement from MB )

Unfortunately you don't know is all the high tech equipment works until you need it !

To conclude if you had told me I would be driving a Skoda 3 months ago I would have shown you the door.As they say don't judge a book by it's cover.
Enjoy your new motor, they are
(Pardon the pun) a Superb car. 🙂👍 P.S. What's a manual gearbox? 😉🙂

I have to say that on this forum and other forums there really does appear to be a bit of a snobbery around the ‘lesser’, ‘smaller’ 4 pot engines.

It's obligatory.

And it predates the concept of forums.

And having had SWMBO move from a 6 pot BMW to a 4 pot turbo BMW - she might not recognise the difference - but it pains me every time I drive the current incarnation.

So it's not just obligatory .... it's largely justified ... and for some of us it's mandatory.

It's obligatory.

And having had SWMBO move from a 6 pot BMW to a 4 pot turbo BMW - she might not recognise the difference - but it pains me every time I drive the current incarnation.

So it's not just obligatory .... it's largely justified ... and for some of us it's mandatory.
I think it really depends on the engines in question. I was thinking on this the other day when reading about Lancia. I don't think anyone would feel short-changed with the Lampredi twin cam 4 found in the Delta integrale, Delta S4 (or Lancia 037, Dedra, Fiat Coupe Turbo 16v etc), however the predecessor in the rally cars was the Ferrari V6 found in the Stratos. I guess it could be argued that the 4 in this case was actually a more desirable engine than the V6, even with a Ferrari badge. I would certainly prefer the 4 in this case.

It's obligatory.

But other than a bit more noise from the 6 pot the 4 pot will be better in many other ways?

But other than a bit more noise from the 6 pot the 4 pot will be better in many other ways?

The straight 6 is sweet.

And a 4 pot turbo vs a normally aspirated straight 6 means .... even though the world seems to think it has disappeared .... turbo-lag.

Enjoy your new motor, they are
(Pardon the pun) a Superb car. 🙂👍 P.S. What's a manual gearbox? 😉🙂
Hi , My understanding is that my car had an automatic gearbox no I was told ,semi automatic , no it's a clutchless ( no foot operation ) manual gearbox ( two gearboxes bolted together ) that is electronically controlled.

It's obligatory.

Is that preference rather than snobbery?

The straight 6 is sweet.

And a 4 pot turbo vs a normally aspirated straight 6 means .... even though the world seems to think it has disappeared .... turbo-lag.
That’s where twin charging comes in! 😬

Hi , My understanding is that my car had an automatic gearbox no I was told ,semi automatic , no it's a clutchless ( no foot operation ) manual gearbox ( two gearboxes bolted together ) that is electronically controlled.

AFAIAA the DVLA count it as automatic if there is no clutch to manually operate. So in simple terms - no clutch pedal.

As to how the transmission is implemented then that is just like how car insurance premiums are calculated - a mystery. This mystery is further confused by branding such as 'Steptronic' and 'Durashift' and 'Quickshift' and 'Stepspeed' where the same designation can be used for different technologies - or the same technology be given different designations.

As regards your 'clutchless' then I suspect from your summary that these are dual clutch (so there's an extra one) - DSG. But you get single clutch robotised tranmissions as well.

Snobbery implies that the someone looks down on others because they consider them - or in this case their engine or car choice - to be inferior.

There’s sure to be some of that on MBClub, but rare. I would consider that to be quite different to preference or taste, where there is no superior or inferior, just different.

Ironically the most visible examples are when members argue that their AMG V8 is better than another AMG V8, so not really about smaller engines.

Matey boy at the petrol station in the OP’s #1 post sounds like he may be a snob, and very likely a snob. Thankfully I don’t see much of that behaviour here or IRL.

That said there’s a possibility that I may be unfairly dismissing engine snobbery because of viewing it from the position of privilege, in this case engine privilege…

…there aren’t many who can look down on a Mercedes-AMG ForFour AMG Sport Plus Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi facelift powered by Brabus.

That’s where twin charging comes in! 😬

My view is that it's better just to do the job properly .... and hook up a diesel to the turbo (or turbos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom