Do you wash your own car or not

Do you wash your own car or not

• I wash my own car

Votes: 444 82.7%
  • Some one else cleans my car

Votes: 93 17.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C36fan said:
The rain washed it for me today!:D

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Thought you had more respect for your car Bruno shocked

I had a Gemclean detail and protection jobbie on the Phantom a year ago and it makes it a doddle to clean even now..

This ^^^

With time and materials costing money, it's cost effective too :thumb:.

johns E350 said:
Thought you had more respect for your car Bruno shocked
my cars are treated with love and care but I'm not their slave Jonh .
Obviously I wash my car but I don't loose sleep over it!;)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I wash my car myself, once a week. It's quite therapeutic and also the best way to spot any stone chips or other minor damage before it becomes a problem.

I did a machine polish on my little Fiat today, Menzerna 400 with a medium cutting pad followed by Menzerna 2000 with a polish pad. Then 2 coats of glaze (Chemical Boys EZ glaze acrylic) followed by Finish Kare Hi temp sealant.

I will have someone do the SM though - the paint on the Fiat is not original and is rather agricultural, but I have removed pretty much all the swirls and got the car ready for autumn.

I wash ours myself but I have a tendency of letting them run pig dirty between the washes (driving them daily doesn't help either). However, I know that under all that grime the paintwork is protected by a trusted polish/sealant*, so I'm not overly worried about the aesthetics.

*) It's one of those that was still protecting the paintwork 4 months on in this test.

I wash ours myself but I have a tendency of letting them run pig dirty between the washes (driving them daily doesn't help either). However, I know that under all that grime the paintwork is protected by a trusted polish/sealant*, so I'm not overly worried about the aesthetics.

*) It's one of those that was still protecting the paintwork 4 months on in this test.

I'm pleased to see the Finish Kare is one of the most durable.

For the "nots" who prefer to use the local £5 scour mob, or dishwater and flagellation with a dead gekko, I give you my Sunday afternoon's toil.

Note the DI which don't arf make fings easier.

When the men in white coats arrived and saw that there were five different brushes and a cloth in the green wheel bucket, I was on dodgy ground :crazy:.

Luckily, one of them realised that looking after something of considerable value (relatively), which gives considerable pleasure, was quite a sensible thing to do :thumb:.

Off at a tangent, what a rubbish camera on my HTC One Mini - look how the upstairs windows have disappeared - I didn't like my iPhone, but it would have managed a decent photo :(.

Last edited:
For the "nots" who prefer to use the local £5 scour mob, or dishwater and flagellation with a dead gekko, I give you my Sunday afternoon's toil.

Note the DI which don't arf make fings easier.

When the men in white coats arrived and saw that there were five different brushes and a cloth in the green wheel bucket, I was on dodgy ground :crazy:.

Luckily, one of them realised that looking after something of considerable value (relatively), which gives considerable pleasure, was quite a sensible thing to do :thumb:.

Off at a tangent, what a rubbish camera on my HTC One Mini - look how the upstairs windows have disappeared - I didn't like my iPhone, but it would have managed a decent photo :(.

Are but it makes me feel important when some one else cleans it lol is your car 7 seats ? Good job tho do ya want to do mine :thumb:

Are but it makes me feel important when some one else cleans it lol is your car 7 seats ? Good job tho do ya want to do mine :thumb:

No, it's a 5 seater and no again .

Are but it makes me feel important when some one else cleans it lol

True. I left mine at a Taxi company for a wash at 5:00pm, collected it at 5:30pm.
Not a perfect wash, but not bad...jet wash, pre wash, wash down with clean soapy water and microfiber mitt, rinse and dry.

Very convenient as it was just outside where I needed to be.

Last edited:
I used to go to the hand wash but apart from the swirls n scratches they use caustic to dilute the cleaning product which is cheap. This just strips all the hard work you put in applying Polish and wax.
I want to buy one of those water treatment canisters that some have on here.

I used to go the hand car wash, but noticed lots of minor swirls in the paint. This is probably from using the cheap crappy sponge things they use, which just pushes dirt around and scrapes on your bodywork. Recently I repaired all the minor scratches using a Meguirs product (Can't remember which one), then used hard polish to seal which was a bit of hard work, but now car seems to clean itself with the rain or just a quick rinse off with water.

Last edited:
The wife washes mine, says she enjoys it?, but I do the polishing and waxing. And twice a year clay bar.

I'm not sure which option to choose in the poll .

Sometimes ( not very often TBH ) I was the car myself , using a combination of bucket & sponge , pressure washer , occasionally machine polisher .

Most of the time , I just take it through the automatic car wash at the petrol station .

Mine is pretty much always washed by the local guys at the hand car wash. I do do the finishing off, waxing etc.. myself

If I have time I'll wash it myself with a sponge and a bit of fairly liquid - sorted.

Otherwise it gets boshed through the local BP carwash.

Occasionally I'll get a mini valet done at the local (romanian) hand car wash place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom