Drove the new E350 CDI Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, in summary..

The wheels are so much better than I thought, I talk of course of the drive quality and not how much they now enable me to 'pimp'. A few things that's taken me time to get use too.. how close you sit to the rear view mirror, I can't get the seats comfortable (yet) although they probably just need softening up.. and weirdly, how when I use voice controls in command it starts to play the ipod on my iphone!?

Love it though.. very very pleased. Tomorrow is public transport day!? What's a man to do!!?

I have also noticed after I have made or received a hands free call through comand that my iPhone has started playing in iPod audio mode.

It looks like a recent update from apple may have disturbed how the Bluetooth audio works and this was pretty annoying for me especially when I don't or won't even use the Bluetooth audio streaming function on the comand unit. I only use Bluetooth for my phone calls.

An easy fix if you don't use the Bluetooth streaming is to go into the service menu on comand and then disable Bluetooth audio. This then removes the option for Bluetooth audio and does not interfere with your iPhone when making or receiving calls.

Be warned though if you don't know what you are doing you could break things in the service menu.

How did you get bluetooth audio?

My E350 doesn't have this.

it was already activated in my 2011 E350 coupe on the menu system but I do remember it NOT been available on my previous 2010 E350 coupe menu (all comand options etc were the same).
I did go into the service menu on the 2010 coupe and enable bluetooth audio but it didn't appear to do much so not sure if it has the same components as the 2011 version.

How did you get bluetooth audio?

My E350 doesn't have this.

Next time you take your car in to your local dealership ask them to upgrade the COMAND firmware to the very latest version and it will be on the audio sub-menu as "bluetooth audio" I'm pretty much running with that at the minute because I'm too idle to eject my memory card and update it, easier to use my iPhone since it gets synced to my pc every day

Dr-Nab said:
I'm pretty much running with that at the minute because I'm too idle to eject my memory card and update it, easier to use my iPhone since it gets synced to my pc every day
Quick question: do you get full access to the track metadata (name, etc) and ability to navigate to tracks directly when using BT Streaming on your car, or so you just get "Audio transmission active" in the display and an option for Track +1 / Track -1?

Unfortunately no metadata.. which is quite frustrating but maybe that will change with the next firmware update on COMAND? So for now it's just as you've said with the audio transmission message and the +/- track but for some reason - I don't know whether it's my iPhone or the COMAND if you try and skip so many tracks forward or backwards one or the other gives in all hope of working and the transmission stops until you manually restart it??

I've not updated my iPhone OS past 4.2.1 because I've heard that the battery life is abysmal at best so not sure if it's that because the COMAND is the latest version.

Unfortunately no metadata.. which is quite frustrating but maybe that will change with the next firmware update on COMAND?
Hmm... The reason I asked the question is that when I picked my W212 up from Sindelfingen last Friday, I sat in the car with the woman doing the handover and we paired up my iPhone 4 (IOS 4.3.2 btw) and she asked if I had any music on the phone. She then proceeded to demonstrate the BT Streaming and I was shocked that full metadata was displayed on the COMAND screen and I could navigate directly to whatever track I wanted through the same folder structure you get when it's connected via the Media Interface. I even commented to her that I was surprised I could do that with just the Bluetooth connection, "Ja," she said "it's good, isn't it?". On leaving the collection centre I hooked the phone up via the media interface so as to keep it charged and thought no more of it until I used the BT Streaming connection again on Tuesday morning and now it doesn't display the metadata, just "Audio transmission active".
I have a case open with MB Technical to see if we can get to the bottom of what's happening because all their documentation in the UK says that you don't get the metadata display with the iPhone 4 - yet I saw it with my own eyes!
I'll post back with any developments.

Last edited:
to save the bother of whether the iphone docs or not with metadata. I just bought a s/h 8gb ipod for about £30 and left it permantely plugged into the port in the glove box. This way you have full metadata and it is always fully charged so you never need to touch it.

I just used voice over BT only from iphone

I've not updated my iPhone OS past 4.2.1 because I've heard that the battery life is abysmal at best so not sure if it's that because the COMAND is the latest version.

I am on 4.3.1 and all is good, mine is Jailbroken and I can't update to 4.3.2 as yet but no degradation in battery life on this version...

I have 4.3.1 on my iPhone 4 and the battery is better than ever and no problems using BT for phone calls/contacts etc.

I do have an 8GB iPod Nano in the glovebox all the time, but can't always be bothered taking it out and updating it, whereas my phone is always up-to-date with my music.

BT music streaming would be great but ONLY if the metadata came over like when the iPod is connected.

My car had a COMAND update about 6 months ago and had the service in March when they were told me they had updated everything that needed it.

I will check tomorrow morning whether this option is there and if not will ask for the update next time I visit MB.

to save the bother of whether the iphone docs or not with metadata. I just bought a s/h 8gb ipod for about £30 and left it permantely plugged into the port in the glove box. This way you have full metadata and it is always fully charged so you never need to touch it.

I just used voice over BT only from iphone

I do the same but this is because i do not have an iphone.I have an HTC which does not have the same functionality.

JohnDeere8530 said:
Actually, I will only use BT streaming infrequently as the audio quality Is noticeably better through the media interface, but that's when the metadata display is actually most useful. Hop in the car, switch to BT streaming and navigate to the music you want.

The main point of my post is that the unit did actually display the metadata when connected in Sindelfingen but now it doesn't.

Checked mine today and no BT Audio menu option.

Must remember to ask for it to be updated next time I am in MB for anything.

An easy fix if you don't use the Bluetooth streaming is to go into the service menu on comand and then disable Bluetooth audio. This then removes the option for Bluetooth audio and does not interfere with your iPhone when making or receiving calls.

... with this in mind, how would I go about doing this, is it reasonably self explanitory and.. I can't think of any reason why I would want streaming bluetooth?

Thank you so much for this update!

... with this in mind, how would I go about doing this, is it reasonably self explanitory and.. I can't think of any reason why I would want streaming bluetooth?

Thank you so much for this update!

I will pm you the key sequence to get into the service menu's but obviously take no responsibility if you break anything (as you quite easily could).

(EDIT - Actually I cant PM you until you have hit a certain number of posts)

once in navigate as follows:

select 7 then 7.7 change change 3 to "on"
then press the "back" button (next to your jog dial) and exit.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I will pm you the key sequence to get into the service menu's but obviously take no responsibility if you break anything (as you quite easily could).

OK, I'll take a look... I hope I don't get too excitable and end up editing and changing things I shouldn't!

Hi there, have tried gaining the codes online - alas, either the codes don't work or im not entering them in the right sequence.. any thoughts / advice greatly welcomed?

If you've not chosen it, does anyone know if you can get the dipped reverse nearside mirror activated? Thanks

Just been to the mb dealer - they knew nothing of the codes for command and the advice they gave for tilted reverse mirrors didn't work - having read up, it looks like this is no longer an option - oh well.. Here's to scuffing some wheels

Mine was in this week for a couple of things and I asked for the COMAND firmware update. I was told I wasn't eligible for it as a free update as my model of COMAND didn'tbmatch those on the computer who were. Had I wanted to pay for it they quoted something like £600!!

I only wanted bluletooth streaming so can live without that thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom