E Class - DVD Comand - Upgrading from Nokia 6310i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
:confused:

I have a W211 (July 2003) with the DVD comand unit and the Nokia 6310i telephone. The cradle has a wire which goes into the console. This was a factory fit option and works fine BUT my 6310i is getting quite old and I would like to upgrade to a current Nokia model. I discussed this with the dealer and it seems I can not upgrade my system :mad: The dealer originally told me the Comand systems was relatively future proof. I contacted MB and they have sent the following email.

All I want to be able to do is read text messages on comand and use the key pad on comand occasionally just like with my current 6310i. Has anyone managed to get around this problem or is it time to send a "Mr Angry" letter to MB. The car is just over 2 years old and my telecommunication system is out of date :( :(

Dear Mr Goldfish (name change to protect the innocent)

Thank you for contacting the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center. Following our telephone conversation earlier today, please read the information below regarding mobile phones and the hands sets that are compatible with your vehicle.

As per the new legislation stating that the use of a hand-held mobile phone was made illegal on 1st December 2003, mobile phones are not allowed to be switched on in vehicles without the fitment and connection via a professional advanced hands free car kit. A The general acceptance is that professionally fitted hands-free car kits reduce the risk of an incident more so than any other solution.

With this in mind, Mercedes-Benz developed an accessory hands-free systems designed to be compatible with most of our Passenger Car range. These kits enable customers to retrofit a factory approved hands-free telephone system that is fully operational via the steering wheel controls. A selection of mobile handsets is offered, and the corresponding system can then be installed to provide hands-free functionality. For your particular vehicle, a hands-free system (FSE 11) can be installed to accept one of the following phones:

Siemens CX65, CXT65, CX65V,
Siemens CX70, CXT70, CX70V
Siemens S65, SP65
Nokia 6210, 6310, 6310i
Nokia 6100, 6610, 6610i, 7250i
Nokia 6220, 6230, 6230i
Sony Ericsson T610, T630
Sony Ericsson K700i

This system displays the names and telephone numbers stored in your handset in the multifunction display; you can then select the required number by using the controls on the steering wheel. When an incoming call is accepted, the radio or CD will still mute, and sound is restored when the call is disconnected. You cannot however dial-out via the keypad of the Audio or COMAND unit, nor make calls using Linguatronic (if fitted). Following continued development, Mercedes-Benz recently introduced a new mobile telephone system, available only as factory installation. By purchasing a corresponding cradle, this allowed the use of other mobile phones, the most recent of which are detailed above. Those customers that chose this option and also wished to have a handset included were supplied with a Nokia 6310i. In November of 2004 it was superseded by a Siemens CX65.

Unfortunately this option was not available at the time your vehicle was produced, and it is not possible to modify or adapt your vehicle to accommodate another model phone, and still provide full functionality via the Audio/COMAND system and multi-function steering wheel. Furthermore, at present, we have no indication of when such software will become available.

We hope this information has been of some help to you; however, should you have any further requirements, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Cassandra Fleet
Customer Service
DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center N.V.
Gaetano Martinolaan 10
NL-6229 GS Maastricht, The Netherlands

Phone Nr: 00800 1 777 7777
mailto: [email protected]

I modify about one W211 per month from Nokia to 6310i.

MBENZNL may be a faster and cheaper method of getting the items you need. If I may i would like to make a suggestion. At the time of upgrading also install the Linguatronic module (if not in place) as there is a Y junction in the cabling and one branch goes to Phone control module and the other goes to a microphone module.

Using the type of conversion I use it is highly desireable for the microphone module to be changed over to linguatronic and the phone module to be swapped over to UHI.

There is some minor adjustment to the armrest wiring and the addition of the right stalk on the steering wheel.

If you opt the non-linguatronic path the wires for the microphone may be the wrong length to inject into new phone module. Hence the time and labour savings of installing the linguatronic module in its place.

UHI phone module is not compatible with the Nokia microphone controller module. So that old part has to come out one way or another. The fastest thing to do is upgrade both modules in the trunk.

Nothing is impossible. There are some things which are easier than others. UHI is doable.

Fit a UHI is the best option. Braybrooks can help you if the dealer can't.

And how much money do you reckon Braybrooks will charge for that, well over a grand. :eek:

Miro and Jeremy - Thank you for the suggestions but I clarify a few things.

What is a UHI? (Sorry I dont know the acronym)

Will I have full functionality through the Comand system, as with my current Nokia 6310i?

Will all this mean that my comand can use other nokia telephones through Comand, like on the brand new E Classes with the interchangeable module?
(I recognise I may have to spend a few pounds to get a new cradle but I dont want to go through the whole upgrade process again in two years)

Can you give me a ball park figure of the costs? The linguatronic upgrade sounds like an interesting upgrade. How much more does it cost?

How long does it take, is it a job that can be completed in a day?
Any ideas where in the UK I could get this done? (Midlands would be nice)

I look forward to your responses.

Goldfish11 said:
Miro and Jeremy - Thank you for the suggestions but I clarify a few things.

What is a UHI? (Sorry I dont know the acronym)

Will I have full functionality through the Comand system, as with my current Nokia 6310i?

Will all this mean that my comand can use other nokia telephones through Comand, like on the brand new E Classes with the interchangeable module?
(I recognise I may have to spend a few pounds to get a new cradle but I dont want to go through the whole upgrade process again in two years)

Can you give me a ball park figure of the costs? The linguatronic upgrade sounds like an interesting upgrade. How much more does it cost?

How long does it take, is it a job that can be completed in a day?
Any ideas where in the UK I could get this done? (Midlands would be nice)

I look forward to your responses.

The job takes about 3 hours. UHI is the thing that you are asking for. All the other questions are unimportant as I wouldnt mislead you.

When someone asks 30 questions it only ever screams out "fleece me". Your best bet is to go into a showroom and learn about the 2005 UHI system and see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom