E240 2003 2.6 Auto Estate Gearbox Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tedsy

Car
E 240 ESTATE
Hello,
I have a 2003 E240 2.6 Auto Estae. 90,000 miles One owner full merc service history from new. Just passed the MOT and now the gearbox is playing up.

Once or twice a month it starts having a clunky gear change,then its fine again.
I have had the code reads - Transmission place says with the codes its likely the seals have gone in the radiator meaning water in gearbox,hence slipping transmission.

£2,500 for gearbox and radiator change!!!!!

Any cheaper options greatly appreciated..........

Have you checked for coolant in oil ?
Remove the conductor plate and wash it with electric spray.

Excuse my complete ignorance of the witchcraft of automatic gearboxes, how would cleaning the plate help?

Contamination from coolant in the fluid or just old fluid that is breaking down can cause electrical issues.

There is a chemical test available that will show if there is contamination of coolant in the ATF.

When was the fluid last changed?

When was the fluid last changed?
Most people don't know anything about changing gearbox oil.
I've heard that Mercedes don't even recognise that it should be done?:fail
ZF say it should be done after 75000 miles but Merc say it's "same oil for life of vehicle" clearly estimating vehicle life at less than my 180k estate!

Last edited:

I am not sure how this is helping the OP?

MB now have a recognised ATF replacement schedule, it has changed the recommended mileage intervals over the years though.

Well he may not even realise that you can change the oil... That's my point...
I have heard that just doing that can sometimes solve problems though...

ZF say it should be done after 75000 miles but Merc say it's "same oil for life of vehicle" clearly estimating vehicle life at less than my 180k estate!

I am under the impression this transmission is one made by MB, not ZF?

But, as I said, MB now issue ATF change schedules for automatic transmissions.

See here for the correct procedure:https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/howto/115863-how-change-automatic-gerbox-oil-flush-722-6-box.html

Sounds more like a speed sensor that a box fault.. it would give the same symptom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom