E350 CDI C207 Remap & Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll think you'll find that 4% is a little misleading, my icarsoft always said similar, it's showing 3.7g at the moment, my app shows 49.3 %, it will only get up to around 7g on the icarsoft which is 100%

I'd imagine the I carsoft to being told by the cars ECU what it thinks is in the dpf. It won't be accurate at all.

FWIW the iCarSoft gives completely erroneous readings on my 231bhp 59 plate E350, it even has negative numbers and %... I paid for a Star diagnosis at an indie before they told me to disregard the readings as DPF was OK.

iCarSoft folks tried to get some more info off me but I didn't really want to spend another few days being their test mule, when it should already work.

Had me driving around for hours in 2nd gear wondering why the soot won't clear...

But seems to work well on a 2010 265bhp E350.

DPF ash content 0%, soot content 0%. Last DPF regen 154 miles ago. I drove it in traffic, some of it stop-start, for 12 miles; stil 0%/0%.

Last ash correction? Well, it says 124334 km, and the car has only done 122664 km if the odometer is correct, so that's never, then?

I've asked the question before; is an OM642 in good fettle really that clean-running? I think it is under the right conditions. I'd forgotten doing it, but I posted this back in 2021 soon after getting the car and asking the same question:

"Couldn't find anything on t'internet, but I did find this, in a 'What Car' article:

'There are two types of regeneration: passive and active. Passive regeneration normally takes place at higher speeds, when the engine is running at higher revs. To make sure that the regeneration takes place, most manufacturers suggest that every few hundred miles, the car is driven for a period of more than 15 minutes at a consistent speed in excess of 40mph. Doing this should clear the filter.'

My car does that more like every fifty miles at most, and more like in excess of 70 mph, so if that's correct I don't have to worry at all about the DPF clogging up. Hurrah!"

I'll think you'll find that 4% is a little misleading, my icarsoft always said similar, it's showing 3.7g at the moment, my app shows 49.3 %, it will only get up to around 7g on the icarsoft which is 100%
Which version do you have? Mine's an MB II.

Those are percentage, not weight, readings that mine gives. It's reading 0% for both ash and soot at the moment. I'm certain there's nothing on the car which physically weighs either the soot or the ash, so the only way to provide even an approximation by weight would be by extrapolation from the contents readings, which are obtained, also by extrapolation, from pressure differential readings across the DPF. I would think a weight reading would be a bit pointless if you have a percentage reading; it would be just a different way of expressing the same data, so why bother?

I think it likely there's b****r-all soot or ash in my DPF. I'm happy with that...

I'd imagine the I carsoft to being told by the cars ECU what it thinks is in the dpf. It won't be accurate at all.

The engine ECU is indeed the source of the data, but it does not follow that it is inaccurate. Why do you think it is?

Making sense of your sensors: DPF differential pressure sensor | Delphi Auto Parts is useful information.

Quoting a pretty knowledgeable forum member, Grober, from my earlier thread:

"These are pressure derived figures. Equal pressures means no restriction by DPF deposits. Likewise the differential sensor cannot distinguish between ash and soot back pressure and the ash figure would be derived from the difference in resistance to flow before and after regen the assumption being regen removes the soot--- any residual resistance being down to ash."

Last edited:
Which version do you have? Mine's an MB II.

Those are percentage, not weight, readings that mine gives. It's reading 0% for both ash and soot at the moment. I'm certain there's nothing on the car which physically weighs either the soot or the ash, so the only way to provide even an approximation by weight would be by extrapolation from the contents readings, which are obtained, also by extrapolation, from pressure differential readings across the DPF. I would think a weight reading would be a bit pointless if you have a percentage reading; it would be just a different way of expressing the same data, so why bother?

I think it likely there's b****r-all soot or ash in my DPF. I'm happy with that...

The engine ECU is indeed the source of the data, but it does not follow that it is inaccurate. Why do you think it is?

Making sense of your sensors: DPF differential pressure sensor | Delphi Auto Parts is useful information.

Quoting a pretty knowledgeable forum member, Grober, from my earlier thread:

"These are pressure derived figures. Equal pressures means no restriction by DPF deposits. Likewise the differential sensor cannot distinguish between ash and soot back pressure and the ash figure would be derived from the difference in resistance to flow before and after regen the assumption being regen removes the soot--- any residual resistance being down to ash."
The app data is also from the same ecu data location that the MBII uses, via a Bluetooth OBD port.
I built an obd sniffer and grabbed the data going to a laptop at the same time.
It's not % on my MBIi as it only goes from 0 - 7g, I just converted that into a % for the app.

I think it depends on your ecu type how icarsoft have interpreted the data - hence some don't even work.

My car is 204.023, I would assume yours is different..

The app data is all correct and accurate as during a regen, the dpf temps get up to around 650 degrees as the % slowly drops to zero in around 10 - 15 miles of motorway driving, then settles around 200C

Who knows what 100% actually means, possibly dpf pressure / time / mileage, which ever is sooner - It seems to make little difference driving 300 miles motorway or traffic - higher speeds do help it come back down quicker though...

Mine was saying the same thing, 40,000 miles since last regen… it’s nonsense
The higher figure I gave was for the ash correction; the last regen was only 154 miles previously. That seems perfectly plausible for an active regen, but of course, the system does not record passive regens.

The app data is also from the same ecu data location that the MBII uses, via a Bluetooth OBD port.
I built an obd sniffer and grabbed the data going to a laptop at the same time.
It's not % on my MBIi as it only goes from 0 - 7g, I just converted that into a % for the app.

I think it depends on your ecu type how icarsoft have interpreted the data - hence some don't even work.

My car is 204.023, I would assume yours is different..

The app data is all correct and accurate as during a regen, the dpf temps get up to around 650 degrees as the % slowly drops to zero in around 10 - 15 miles of motorway driving, then settles around 200C

Who knows what 100% actually means, possibly dpf pressure / time / mileage, which ever is sooner - It seems to make little difference driving 300 miles motorway or traffic - higher speeds do help it come back down quicker though...

My car is a 218.923, the engine an OM642.853.

I rather doubt your data is in any way reconcilable with the figures I am getting; perhaps your setup has a problem? The highest figure I have seen was 4%, and it slowly dropped over about five miles, none of it motorway or high speed, to 0%.

I suggest it's pretty obvious what 100% means; it means the DPF differential pressure is at the manufacturer's highest acceptable figure. Anything else would be illogical, surely?

I don't see why the iCarsoft, optimised for Mercedes cars, would display anything other than a percentage content either; that makes it immediately obvious how close to 'full' the DPF is, which is the figure that matters. Grams, however? That's not immediately obvious at all.

The higher figure I gave was for the ash correction; the last regen was only 154 miles previously. That seems perfectly plausible for an active regen, but of course, the system does not record passive regens.

My car is a 218.923, the engine an OM642.853.

I rather doubt your data is in any way reconcilable with the figures I am getting; perhaps your setup has a problem? The highest figure I have seen was 4%, and it slowly dropped over about five miles, none of it motorway or high speed, to 0%.

I suggest it's pretty obvious what 100% means; it means the DPF differential pressure is at the manufacturer's highest acceptable figure. Anything else would be illogical, surely?

I don't see why the iCarsoft, optimised for Mercedes cars, would display anything other than a percentage content either; that makes it immediately obvious how close to 'full' the DPF is, which is the figure that matters. Grams, however? That's not immediately obvious at all.
As mentioned, I programmed the 100% mark based on the fact everytime the icarsoft hits 7g, a regen is started and it never starts until it hits 7g.
It hits 100% and bang, temps go up, regen starts - so it's not obvious what my 100% means.

This could read grams, percent, pressure, colour, doesn't matter, makes no difference.

Hence I do not know what causes the regen at 7g or as I call it 100% of of no regen. Maybe this is just the mileage hitting the limit first ?

Thing is though it takes more miles in traffic to bring it back to zero than on the motorway so can't be just mileage ?

Another thing I noticed is if I swap to the original non upgraded ecu data that supposedly does less regens - there is no difference in when they are done - all I notice is much lower rpms as gears are allowed to shift sooner..

It would be interesting to run it on yours using your 4% as the max point but not sure the PID would be the same on your ecu ?
DPF / Oil / Coolant temps would be the same..

Do you have a BT OBD port ?

What was the original thread about 😄

Ah, NOW I understand where you're coming from... Everything you say makes sense.

Your 100% is the 7gm point at which an active regen starts; mine is when the DPF is 'full'. That would seem to imply that 7gm is only 4% on the car's scale, but I've only observed it happening once, so I don't know whether it was based only on DPF content indication, or on a combination of factors.

I haven't had access to anything like the data you have, and tbh I'm prepared to take it on trust that MB knew what they were doing when they designed the system. It works, and my bottom line remains that I think it likely there's b****r-all soot or ash in my DPF, so no problem exists.

Thread creep is nothing new on MB Club; sometimes if you read the last post in a thread, you can't so much as guess what the first post must have been about without looking at the thread title... :D :crazy:

There are some good apps that can monitor your DPF and give you lots of details on your phone via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle..........such as percent full, how many miles since last regen, temp reached during last regen and current temp, mileage between regens etc etc). Ive used a couple. On my car I often get well over 100%......that does not mean its more than full!!...but over the level that would usually trigger a regen....this can happen if I turn off the engine mid regen. The zero percent reading above interests me as that just about impossible....even the most thoroughly burned through and regened DPF always leaves regen and it impossible to clean them out completely with a regen....which is why they eventually need a professional cleaning or replacement and it slowly blocks with ash and other residue than wont burn out.......mine usually regens at about 90 to 110%....and usually goes down to about 18 to 22 percent when the regen ends....regen on my car takes exactly ten minutes. You can get spurious reading if you clean or replace the DPF without "telling" the car you have done than......you need to go into the setting (in my case using ALFAOBD or MES and tell it that new DPF has been fitted....otherwise it throws out the pressure sensors (that measure pressure difference either side of the DPF to calculate blocking levels) and you wont get accurate info....I'm sure than will be the same on Mercedes.

There are some good apps that can monitor your DPF and give you lots of details on your phone via a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle..........such as percent full, how many miles since last regen, temp reached during last regen and current temp, mileage between regens etc

What are the names of the Apps you recommend for monitoring DPF? - cheers

Just type in DPF monitor in a app store ....or Play store if you are an Android user like me. There are lots....I use one with very original name of "DPF Monitor"!.......although it says its for Fiat and Alfa it also works on my Jeep and my dads old BMW"! Im sure there will be some Mercedes compatible ones too.

For iPhone there’s loads of OBD2 diagnostics apps, but nothing specific for DPF?
You won't find an app for the Merc, hence I had to figure the code for it and use torque pro.

I stand corrected when I said it always regens after roughly the same mileage.
This morning I started at 85%, it did a regen after about 70 motorway miles, finished at 0% after 27 miles, then started another one about 150 (quick) motorway miles later as I was driving up the hill to my house 😠

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom