E55 Progress Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Made it to Spain safe and sound. La Rioja is beautiful.

And the bank holiday traffic not so bad here

Thanks Simon. Still enjoying your car I hope?

I love my old bus Nick. I'm just not really driving it much now and need to make an effort to get out in it more often. Lack of driving it makes it feels even more special every time I take it for a spin:thumb:

Yes long time no hear Simon !! Are you going to Olly's ?

I love my old bus Nick. I'm just not really driving it much now and need to make an effort to get out in it more often. Lack of driving it makes it feels even more special every time I take it for a spin:thumb:

I can highly recommend putting 1500 miles on the clock going somewhere nice on the continent!

Yes long time no hear Simon !! Are you going to Olly's ?

Hi Peter - unfortunately I can't make Olly's. His botg event always coincides with my holiday, so I've never made it to one yet! As much as I would love to go as it always sounds like a cracking day out, I think I will be happy in Greece!!:D

Hope you all have a great day and I will check in the see the pics:thumb:

I can highly recommend putting 1500 miles on the clock going somewhere nice on the continent!

I took my old bus on tour to the amg factory a couple of years ago with a small group of amg lads. It was great fun in convoy:thumb:

Weather was crap and roads busy though, which was a shame as it prevented us being able to really get the cars on full song:wallbash:

Just had this year's service and put the summer tyres back on.

£795 all in including new rear boot latch and sorting out an issue with the central locking.

Car is driving a treat with new brake fluid and gearbox service and still the best £9500 I've ever spent.

Property serviced these cars never miss a beat despite being modded. The interior still looks new.

I vaguely think about replacing it but drive it and change my mind.

2 year hiatus and about 25k miles since last post. Nearing the 100k mark.

Purchased a lovely new set of BC Forged rims, lowering links and C63 backboxes! Car booked in for service and fitting of the above on the 8th plus some paint and a visit to the leather restorer.

Have decided to keep the car after much deliberation so time to freshe her up a bit

Other work at 100k miles outside of service, wheels, paint - both belts, supercharger tensioner and a guide pully for the aux belt. The guys have finally fitted the G Paddles that Gordon sent me about 3 years ago and will have wheel alignment done

Nice to see your car being used properly, it's a very nice example. The stance isn't to my tastes, but it's great that you're continuing to enjoy it.

What was the fastest that you travelled with the bike and roofbox mounted?

Nice to see your car being used properly, it's a very nice example. The stance isn't to my tastes, but it's great that you're continuing to enjoy it.

What was the fastest that you travelled with the bike and roofbox mounted?
Thanks. Done about 9k miles a year over the last 5 years ands never missed a beat.

Its fine at about 90 with both on.

Have you fitted the C63 boxes? Is your exhaust stock apart from them?

It's a mod I've umm'd and ahh'd about, the pain being lengthening the tips for the S211. Also everyone else seems to have resonator/downpipe changes so hard to know for sure the exact sound change to expect. Also with the E55 only being a 5spd the last thing I want is a drone on the motorway, as tbh it already sounds pretty good whilst being refined (from inside at least...)

if you leave the secondary cats and middle silencer , you will get no drone , esp with c63 boxes, will sound nice.

Have you fitted the C63 boxes? Is your exhaust stock apart from them?

It's a mod I've umm'd and ahh'd about, the pain being lengthening the tips for the S211. Also everyone else seems to have resonator/downpipe changes so hard to know for sure the exact sound change to expect. Also with the E55 only being a 5spd the last thing I want is a drone on the motorway, as tbh it already sounds pretty good whilst being refined (from inside at least...)
I have long tube headers on mine, rest is stock. Got let down by the ebay seller on the Backboxes so not been done. I will probably fit MEC or Eisenmann back boxes at some point in the future as decided to keep the car for the long term (until its not allowed anymore!!)

Car is in with Klasse for a new master brake cylinder after the original one developed a hairline crack and was leaking brake fluid into the footwell!

Moral of the story is to go straight to the workshop when the car tells you to in RED!

Morning all, so car was in for a service a couple of weeks ago and it was discovered that there was significant play in the 84mm Eurocharged pulley and that it had caused damage to the belt and to the breather tube and to one of the fluid pipes nearby. This was ahead of a 2000 miles roadtrip family holiday starting this Sunday! Frantic phone calls to Mercedes and various other options showed a complete lack of either OM or aftermarket pulleys available in the UK with huge long lead times and horrendous prices. There was equally no way of getting the parts from the US in time. Video of the pulley below

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, fast forward 2 weeks and Acid at MSL to the rescue with an OM Pulley and belt, the guys at Klasse able to get the other parts needed (belt tensioner pulley also screwed and the two new tubes) picking the car up tomorrow morning with 2 days to spare. Acid has me on his list for his next batch of 84mm pulleys.

So the EC pulley lasted 55k miles doing 10k miles per year with a no expense spared approach to annual servicing. Worth checking if you have one and you've done a few miles...

Yikes....lateral and radial play......just as well you spotted that it it could have all gone very pear shaped if it had properly let go. How did it damage the other pipes?.....it does not look to be moving that far???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom