E63 - police auction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Succinct summary after a good analysis (that saved me much typing!).

As a £10k purchase it could be viable, at £15k its a very risky punt.
I’m not on here much nowadays but do like to keep up to speed from time to time for when / if I buy another AMG.

Also worth considering that car prices are levelling out now and could start to drop, so for this type of car and the time it will need to get it “right” (if it is a worse case scenario car), then it could be another 3-6 months, at which point may be worth less than initially thought….

It's now sold apparently
Its been for sale quite a few times

Attachments

• IMG-20220315-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220315-WA0001.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20220315-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220315-WA0000.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 14
Always makes me smile on these forums:

A cheap car comes along (£15k E63 bi-turbo PP car) and everyone says steer clear, needs loads of work/£5-10k spending on it etc.

(I’m not disputing any of this, and personally wouldn’t be looking at this example to purchase myself)

A mint/low mileage/full history car comes along for £10k more and everyone says it’s too expensive/hasn’t been driven enough etc :D :doh:

I think unless you’re handy with the spanners it makes little sense to buy a car like this and pay out for repairs. I’ve bought dozens of MBs over the years, and with several older cars I’ve carried out moderate restoration and repairs etc. But with age comes wisdom and to me the old adage ‘nothing as expensive as a cheap Mercedes-Benz’ comes to mind. In other words, buy a nice one up front and cherish it and you’ll probably spend less in the long run (accounting for resale) than buying a rough one cheap. They’re never quite right and low mileage/mint cars always retain their value better in the long run :cool:

IMHO of course.

Always makes me smile on these forums:

A cheap car comes along (£15k E63 bi-turbo PP car) and everyone says steer clear, needs loads of work/£5-10k spending on it etc.

(I’m not disputing any of this, and personally wouldn’t be looking at this example to purchase myself)

A mint/low mileage/full history car comes along for £10k more and everyone says it’s too expensive/hasn’t been driven enough etc :D :doh:

I think unless you’re handy with the spanners it makes little sense to buy a car like this and pay out for repairs. I’ve bought dozens of MBs over the years, and with several older cars I’ve carried out moderate restoration and repairs etc. But with age comes wisdom and to me the old adage ‘nothing as expensive as a cheap Mercedes-Benz’ comes to mind. In other words, buy a nice one up front and cherish it and you’ll probably spend less in the long run (accounting for resale) than buying a rough one cheap. They’re never quite right and low mileage/mint cars always retain their value better in the long run :cool:

IMHO of course.
Agree with this! But I think it was cheap and people said steer clear for a reason/ several reasons. Like you say, those of us less mechanically minded would be best to avoid. But I think if this was near mint (above example was far from that), FSH (again, not this example), and mechanically sound (no again), I don't think many would argue with low to mid twenties. Not only was it the poor condition and lack of service history that put people off, but fear of the unknown and potentially expensive faults. I think people were sceptical for very good reason in this case!

It's now sold apparently
Its been for sale quite a few times
Any idea what it Sold for?

That sale history doesn't inspire confidence for me.....

How does the sale in Feb 2022 square with the advert that stated it had been in police storage for a year, do you think? Or have I remembered that incorrectly?

Of course - barge pole personally. I don’t think £15k was that cheap as a starting bid/price on the auction?

Only 1 bid so the £15k also if its been in police compound who moted it? To many negatives for my liking, I guarantee it will be back advertised again soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom