ECP - Bosch Batteris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Can you please explain the difference between your Bosch S3, S4 and S5 batteries?

From what I can see the capacities are the same but only the number of years warranty differ.

The prices range from £72 to £99, so I'm interested to know where the differences are.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

It's the number of warranty and maybe the cold crank start I think

Acid

DM, how much was the battery at costco? And what Ah do you get with it?
Cheers.

DM, how much was the battery at costco? And what Ah do you get with it?
Cheers.

That one isn't for the Merc so is a bit smaller, but it's 74Ah and 720A, which is the standard battery spec for the Merc, although I run mine on a 100Ah battery.

The new battery cost 77.98 inc.

That one isn't for the Merc so is a bit smaller, but it's 74Ah and 720A, which is the standard battery spec for the Merc, although I run mine on a 100Ah battery.

The new battery cost 77.98 inc.

I'd try MB for a battery, had some great deals on the real thing when I needed one.

(sorry ecp)

When I had that S-Class for a fortnight, I had to buy a battery for it which was £130 from Mercedes.

It's another one of those parts that they are really competitive I found.

Hi Guys,

Your right the only difference between Bosch S3, 4 and 5 is chemical make up and warranty (3, 4 and 5 years respectivly) to extend the warranty, the S5 will normally be higher power (slightly) than its S3 or S4 equivilant.

Grober is bang on the money!, Varta actually make the batteries, they are then put into differnt boxes, Silver with Bosch brand, or Blue with the Varta brand.

@Nick, why would the Merc battery be better? I would take a educated guess that...
A) Varta or another major battery manufacturer make the battery for Mercedes (remember Merc don't actually make many parts...)
B) a Bosch battery from ECP (a S5 for example) will have a longer guarantee than a Merc battery :)

However, I wouldn't recomend buying any battery which happens to fit in the tray, we will always recomend the equivilent to the factory fitted battery, by fitting a less powerful battery than standard you can drastically shorten its life.

When I had that S-Class for a fortnight, I had to buy a battery for it which was £130 from Mercedes.

It's another one of those parts that they are really competitive I found.

I got mine for £70 all in, which was nice.

@Nick, why would the Merc battery be better? I would take a educated guess that...
A) Varta or another major battery manufacturer make the battery for Mercedes (remember Merc don't actually make many parts...)
B) a Bosch battery from ECP (a S5 for example) will have a longer guarantee than a Merc battery :)

Made in Spain as I recall, genuine MB stuff (in most cases) tends to be better made than the OE and pretend OE stuff, exhausts for example, plus it was £70 and came with a proper 3 year warrenty, not that it really matters as even the cheapest batteries seem to last ages these days.

However, I wouldn't recomend buying any battery which happens to fit in the tray, we will always recomend the equivilent to the factory fitted battery, by fitting a less powerful battery than standard you can drastically shorten its life.

Was that a reply to my comment, if so I would agree you should never downgrade the battery spec, however I have deliberately upgraded to heavy duty spec, so the battery will be under less strain.
It seemed to be worth the additional £12.

Looking at the site I can only see the S5 but its only Amp Hours (Ah): 77Ah
this is way too little... The car has an original battery of 100Ah.
Any linky link to a 100Ah battery, S3, S4 and or S5.
Cheers.

That would be an S5-013 taken from the link in my previous post.

you see the bother with ECP is that you cannot get it, or I cannot get it with the search button .... So annoying...

Was that a reply to my comment, if so I would agree you should never downgrade the battery spec, however I have deliberately upgraded to heavy duty spec, so the battery will be under less strain.
It seemed to be worth the additional £12.

My bad, Downgrading is something I've seen all too often - Sometimes people think they can save £50 by chucking a 063 in a 3litre diesel, and then wonder why,
a) The battery cooks from the over charge
b) the battery fails trying to turn over a massive diesel engine
The then walk back in, and expect to honour a warranty :crazy:

In you case, as you know - chucking a slightly more powerful battery is a fine :thumb:

In terms of batteries, We are working on a dedicated section,s o you can search batteries by their UK Ref - However im worried that the CONs of allowing this outweigh the PROs

If your looking for a big battery - the 019 is a chunky battery and packs a punch, you can search for it on the website by using the following links:

UK017 - (95AH)
Bosch BMW S3 Battery 017 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK
UK019 - (100 AH)
Bosch Audi S4 Battery 019 4 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK

Let me tell you whilst the MB batteries look good in an engine bay (i have them in all my cars for the look), try claiming on the warranty.. they will usually honour it but only afer filling out a 60 page questionnaire on exactly why your battery failed, when, where, how, what you were wearing at the time...

ECP - just pop in and get a new one.

Just a quick question - I know it is often said that batteries omit flammable gasses while charging - but is there any risk to human health through inhalation? e.g. if several batteries are charged on a bench in closed garage? Thanks.

Just a quick question - I know it is often said that batteries omit flammable gasses while charging - but is there any risk to human health through inhalation? e.g. if several batteries are charged on a bench in closed garage? Thanks.

They emit hydrogen gas but in small quantities, hydrogen is not toxic per se but in extremely large quantities would displace oxygen leading to suffocation. the main risk with hydrogen build up is a risk of explosion although any well ventilated space should pose no problem. Remember hydrogen is less dense than air so will rise.

If a battery was not vented it could cause the casing to crack and shower acid under pressure.

Normal and gentle charging should not cause any problems.

Pretty sure they can give off hydrogen sulphide if damaged, and that is poisonous

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom