Engine diognostics???? Limp home mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As it's a diesel they can be run up the road with the exhaust off and they are not that noisy for test purposes.

As it's a diesel they can be run up the road with the exhaust off and they are not that noisy for test purposes.

Thats what I'm thinking, if it goes alot better then problem solved!

I've seen a few diesels suffer from blocked cats and it dosent allways show a fault code.

Any news on the problem?

Finally yes.

Right... the EGS (under the passenger foot well) has had oil leaking onto the wiring and it has caused the problem.

I have had this cleaned up and the car runs a hell of a lot better, changing through the gears as it should. The EGS has been swapped temporarily and the the unit seems to be fine.

So I think I will have to get the wiring changed as the problem has come back, even though the car runs a lot better, it does still occasionally go into limp home mode.

I have had to order a dip stick to check the gear box oil, but i think it has come from there because the oil is so clean. Is this a common fault and do you have any advice?

My reply has been slow as I work away from haome alot and struggle to get the problems sorted straight away.

but once again thanks

Gearbox limp mode? Yes
Engine limp mode? Yes

From your posts it did seem like you have lack of power.

What did the main dealer say?

Yes it it did, and it has improved a hell of alot (the power) and the gears are changing better, even in limp mode.

Sorry, I meant is the oil leaking onto the wiring a common fault?

thanks

Yes. It generally does no harm other than making the carpets oily. The lack of power is very very unlikely to be cause by any gearbox problem.

What did the mb dealer say?

Yes, lack of power can't be caused by a gearbox fault.

Also i found this a bit strange that the wires had oil on but I cant see exactly where it has got in, it seems dry around that area.

It gets in at the gearbox end. Just some seals need replacing.

Hi

I wasnt a main dealer i went to, it was a recommended second hand merc dealer. they said they needed more time to look at it, but they couldnt fit it in at the time. I got the impression they didnt want to give me too much info. but said it would cost in the reigon of £1000. Maybe I could find a breaker who has one for the wiring do you think???

Thanks

As I said before. Oil in the gearbox looms generally don't give issues. All of my 202's that I have owned had oil in the gearbox loom and it did not give me any issues whatsoever. Rather than bunging parts at it get it diagnosed PROPERLY. It will save you money I promise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom