Engine Oil overfilled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzComander

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Avantgarde Estate
Start the car as normal, and drive for approximately 10 minutes.

Then get a warning in the dash saying Engine Oil overfull :crazy:

First time it happened I nearly had a heart attack :eek: so stopped and checked the oil and everything was fine. Oil registered on the dipstick just under the top mark. Drove home and checked the oil again after the car cooled and again the oil is on the top mark of the dipstick. :confused:

The car has done this several times now, both on a hot and cold engine and always after about 10 minutes of driving, but not on every journey.

Any ideas, do I have a faulty oil pressure switch :confused:

Cheers,

Oil pressure switch should be ok, try looking at your oil level sensor on the sump.

need to check the oil on a stone cold block ie 12 hrs after stop sensors are very accurate .5 litre over will cause the beep and flash oil symbol it takes hrs for modern oil to drain back to the sump esp if fully synth as mbz like us to use the sensor works when the oil is warm and hence the 10 mins time lapse you notice i have seen many customers drive out from mbz garage main agent only to come back and ask for a drain

NB DO NOT LEAVE OVER FILLED MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR COULD GET DAMAGED SEE IF OIL IN PIPE NEAR AIR FILTER IF SO THEN OVER FILLED NOT FAULTY SENSOR

Thanks,

I am sure that it is not overfilled, have checked first thing in the morning.

Would the Stealers diagnostic machine know which sensor to check, or would it just believe a faulty sensor :confused:

i am not sure however its not a big job to change the sensor but as we all know with mercs is it the sensor or the £1.00 widget that needs 6 hrs to change if you are defn not above max on dipstick i would check the connection block in the sump

silverarrow said:
i am not sure however its not a big job to change the sensor but as we all know with mercs is it the sensor or the £1.00 widget that needs 6 hrs to change if you are defn not above max on dipstick i would check the connection block in the sump

"In the sump"!! :confused: Is that a sump off type of job :eek:

No

The sensor screws into the sump. The sealant needs to be left to fully dry before the engine ca be filled with oil though.

Thanks for that, will investigate and let you all know :D

Same Problem

I had a similar problem after I had my first service. (E270 cdi) I spoke to the garage and they confirmed that there is (was) a problem with some of the oil level sensors and that after the first service they tended to show an overfill position when one did not exist. So they fitted a new sensor, of course at no cost to me! Does this cover your situation?

Cheers Simon,

Looks like we may be getting close to a solution :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom