Error message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
Using Thunderbird mail on an iMac I'm getting this message at every second or so attempt at retrieving my mail from BT.

The POP3 mail server (mail.btinternet.com) does not support UIDL or XTND XLST, which are required to implement the ``Leave on Server'', ``Maximum Message Size'' or ``Fetch Headers Only'' options. To download your mail, turn off these options in the Server Settings for your mail server in the Account Settings window.

I presume they refer to the 'Account Settings' in Thunderbird, except i can't find anything in there that relates.

Any ideas please?

It's not a user customizable setting in Thunderbird (although you can opt not to leave messages on the server - not recommended). It's usually where the webserver interface has been upgraded (in this case at the BT end) and you may need to move to a more recent version of Thunderbird to allow for those changes. But, it is also a known annoying glitch that Thunderbird can sometimes get into when logging into a webmail server using POP3 and the traditional fix of switching it off and back on again usually clears it!

Thank you Masqueraid for that clear answer :thumb:. You are indeed correct in that switching it off and on cures the fault temporarily although every now and then it will re-appear.

Where would I get the 'more recent' version and would that merge seamlessly with the current version and it's stored files and contacts?

Last edited:
POP3 is the old method of receiving email and not commonly in use these days.

Can you reconfigure Thunderbird to retrieve email using the more current IMAP protocol instead?

POP3 is the old method of receiving email and not commonly in use these days.

Can you reconfigure Thunderbird to retrieve email using the more current IMAP protocol instead?

Possibly, :dk: I wouldn't have a clue how to though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom