EV Acceleration + Idiot - Experience = Dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My own limited experience of EVs in my locality is they omit a low whine or hum which I take it comes from the electric motor and reduction gears /differentials and some tyre noise depending the road surface. I am certainly unaware of any "artificially generated sound"
Part of the problem of their sound profile is its omnidirectional/white noise signature compared say to a small diesel car which is far more directional/distinctive in nature.
I've got a Model Y and it makes these noises which are clearly artifically generated. A 'spaceship' hum in reverse and a sort of 'white noise' at low speeed going forwards. This YouTube video demonstrates them, although I don't agree with the premise that they are annoying in the slightest. The hum in reverse is only audible outside the car and is no more annoying than a reversing drvetrain in an ICE car to anyone hearing it.

I've got a Model Y and it makes these noises which are clearly artifically generated. A 'spaceship' hum in reverse and a sort of 'white noise' at low speeed going forwards. This YouTube video demonstrates them, although I don't agree with the premise that they are annoying in the slightest. The hum in reverse is only audible outside the car and is no more annoying than a reversing drvetrain in an ICE car to anyone hearing it.
If I remember right many years ago Lotus (?) developed some kind of sound generator for EVs, to make it sound like an ICE engine or other things. Surprised we’ve not not seen more of it. I wonder whether they patented it and it’s stopped other manufacturers doing it:

So what does this self drive button do?.....
4b0fc660-5872-480b-9f06-d44bbdb95e44-jpeg.983589

My point is that such extreme performance is very easily accessible to buy and even easier to deploy in an EV.

Compared to an ICE car of similar (or slower!) acceleration, a quick EV is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum in terms of cost to buy/run and how difficult and intimidating it is to drive.

Achieving even close to the same getaway - in the same conditions - in say an Aventador or 812 would be much much more difficult (even with driver aids) and 1000x more intimidating.

Coupled with the cost of buying & running the Aventador or 812 - and that most owners would likely have built up after a series of quick cars - means that it would be much less likely for a fool to be there with the ability to do that.

I have lots of friends with Model 3s which replaced cars like Jaguar XE 2.0d, Volkswagen Passat, BMW 318d, etc, and none of them had driven a faster car than their last one. They’ve all had a 😳 moment!

The same kind of accident can be caused by a bozo in a car that takes 5 or 6 seconds to hit 60mph, and there are plenty of those around at very affordable prices.

You're also making a rather terrible mistake of equating people who can afford expensive/fast cars with people who are sensible. The Model S (performance model) is not a cheap car by any stretch of the imagination, and most electric cars in common use have very pedestrian acceleration times due to the weight of the batteries they lug about.
I think that’s likely. And it is faster, he didn’t need to prove it. I think I’m just in shock that I saw what I saw. I think the car intervened and saved the last on a bike’s life.

The car doesn't intervene with finesse :). If the car intervenes, it's usually a full-on emergency stop. I've experienced this car intervening thing a few times backing out of my driveway during which I'm blind for a good chunk. I'm creeping out slowly, say 5mph stopping and starting and sometimes, a pedestrian whom I can't see gets impatient and decides to dash across. The car slams the brakes so hard that the first time it happened, I actually panicked wondering what happened.

If I remember right many years ago Lotus (?) developed some kind of sound generator for EVs, to make it sound like an ICE engine or other things. Surprised we’ve not not seen more of it. I wonder whether they patented it and it’s stopped other manufacturers doing it:
I watched Jonny Smith’s review of the Abarth 500e on the Late Brake Show. I must admit to being quite partial to the idea of an acid yellow/green one. He liked it.

One of the few things he didn't like was the synthesised engine note - it was too loud and sounded strange as they didn’t synthesise gear shifts.

As a result it sounded like it went everywhere in second gear, which would be tiring at speed on a long journey. He just turned it off - it’s standard for UK cars.

I watched Jonny Smith’s review of the Abarth 500e on the Late Brake Show. I must admit to being quite partial to the idea of an acid yellow/green one. He liked it.

One of the few things he didn't like was the synthesised engine note - it was too loud and sounded strange as they didn’t synthesise gear shifts.

As a result it sounded like it went everywhere in second gear, which would be tiring at speed on a long journey. He just turned it off - it’s standard for UK cars.
Wouldn't be keen on a synthesized engine note (glad you spelt that) meself. 👎

Apart from its spelt wrong unless you are American!! Synthesised.

The Lexus has one of those ‘sympathised’ engine sounds in sport mode - you can turn it off/down
It’s actually good fun - as long as you don’t take it seriously - even has a slightly uneven ‘tickover’.
As I say. Don’t take it seriously

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom