Expensive mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordofthenazgul

Car
C240 ESPRIT, 1998
Hi folks.

Moving out of family home today, lots on my mind when I close the boot of my car and walk inside.
Remembered something I needed from the car when the awful realisation sank in ...id locked my ONLY set of keys in the car boot.
Mad panic...lots of <Disgusting> expletives at the top of my voice (luckily kids were playing out back).
Anyway, called mobilo, Now, due to my car being 51/2 i wasnt covered, but they could send a technician for a call out fee of £184.00..well, sod that i thought..i'll break in, open the boot using the console button, recover my keys and claim that I'd 'accidentally' broken my door window by dropping a hammer onto it :devil: ....sorted...NOT!

Needless to say, on breaking the window, my mercedes alarm system decided to do an impression of the 4 minute nuclear attack warning..ok accepted this risk..but imagine my horror when I found the remote boot release was disabled by the alarm :eek: and to cap it all off I had a neighbour come running out with all intent on kicking several stones of manure out of myself because he thought I was trying to steal (my own) car! ;)
Cue a (very)sheepish phone call to mobilo, handing out of credit card details and some explaining to do to my wife!
Guy came round, thanked me for breaking in to the car myself..but i didnt need to as there was another way of getting in....needless to say he didnt profer these details..plus I'd have probably killed him anyway out of severe frustration, and opened my boot in 5 minutes flat. :bannana:
B*****D!.

Ps a replacement key costs £54.00 inc vat-a fact I'm not going to forget in a hurry.

Windscreen man is late..typical! :(

Adopts Homer Simpson type voice "DOH !!!!!"

My friend did exactly the same. BUT he decided to break his rear 3/4 window on the rear door! Thought he was clever till he realised he had child locks on! Then he did the same to the front window!

oops , sorry to hear that dude.

that reminds me of when being in america a few weeks ago.

We were in the boot and i was programing the sat nav and some dude walked over with a slim jim , asked if we were locked out as he would get us in the car so he could get out parking spot.

We were left open jawed by the thought of this :eek:

Nice as it was , just was a reminder about how easy it is to get into the car!

Can't offer any help, but do have a story to tell about my own misadventure with a set of keys.
In Aust. (where I'm originally from) was driving home late at night in my MX-5 from a weekend of waterskiing at Lake Eildon (Country Victoria) when I thought I'd give the car a good run through the mountains back home.

Decided I'd give the windscreen a good clean first as you get lots of dead bugs on the front of your car when driving in the country. Pop open the boot, grab the chamois and clean the screen. Put the chamois back in the boot, close it, jump back in the car and go to start it, but no keys!

Check everywhere before finally realising with a sense of dread that they're locked in the boot and there's no remote boot release. We'll luckily, I'm about 30 minutes walk from the nearest town and start walking back. Remember this is country Victoria, so not much is going on. It's dark and eerily quiet, but luckily not raining or cold.

By chance, the local police were doing their rounds in their marked pursuit car and I flagged them down. Told them my story. They attempt to get into the boot with no luck and comment that they didn't even know a good enough car theif in town to help out.
They drove me back to the family property where I was staying, lights and siren blaring just to scare the family (on my advise).
Drove back into town, call my sister (who's about 3 hours drive away) who says she'll pick up the spare set and deliver them. It's now about 2 O'clock in the morning, my sister arrives with the keys and I pop open the boot and there are the keys.

I finally made it home around 04:00.

Addendum:
Called Autoglass for glass replacement(through insurance hotline) at 11AM, finally came to fit my new glass at 20:30 hrs....Am I p*ssed now or what?

...suggest a spare set of batteries for the existing electronic key...?
Sorry to hear abou your plight. I got caught out once. The electronic key bit fell off the skeleton key bit (got lost). Given that the electronic bit is important, I actually slept in the car overnight (I'd only had it less than a week) and went to dealers first thing in the morning (using the spare I had). Yes £53.50 if I remember properly!
Rgds
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom