F1 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all down to the FIA been too slow for a fast sport. If Carlos is ruled to be ok he's missed his well deserved taste of bubbles, a trophy presentation and a lot of shouting and cheering from his and the teams fans. Who is next after him to miss the same? It sadly falls on the FIA lot.

It's a catch-22 comiing to a proper decision on something that occurs in the last two or three laps but also being uner pressure to make sure the result is timely. Arguably it's easier if a driver puts their hand up. But the reality is that they have to be as careful as if it had happened in the early part of the race. And they take a lot of flak on the consistency issue.

A bit six of one, half a dozen of the other.

SV has past form on this.

I think he always has a tendency to try and cut in a bit early on a pass when he is under pressure. It's a foible. He's been around long enough that he should have addressed it.

He also has past form on denying fault.

His success is all about being able to manage the race on his own terms - and his weaknesses show when he isn't able to clearly assert himself.

Still a top driver but without being able to assert himself in the race he can't play to his strengths and things swing the other way and he appears to be shown up.

TBH lewis, and in fact anyone who does this "tried but couldnt make it" issue should be given a drive through to put him behind the affected driver (or if they are out, at the back of the grid)- lets face it -the driver that gets spun around is far far far worse off than 5 seconds, and all the other driver gets is 5 second penalty - given enough laps lewis/any other driver could perhaps negate that with a 5 seond lead, whereas the other car is down in P15 or out!

TBH lewis, and in fact anyone who does this "tried but couldnt make it" issue should be given a drive through to put him behind the affected driver (or if they are out, at the back of the grid)- lets face it -the driver that gets spun around is far far far worse off than 5 seconds, and all the other driver gets is 5 second penalty - given enough laps lewis/any other driver could perhaps negate that with a 5 seond lead, whereas the other car is down in P15 or out!
Alex did leave the door open though, and expecting Lewis (or any other driver) fighting for a podium place to not attempt to take the inside line is a bit naive. In addition, do we want drivers to attempt overtakes or not? At this level, clear and obvious passing opportunities are rare. I do agree that the 5s penalty doesn't always seem to fit the 'crime' (last year's debacle with Ocon at the same race being a good example). On the other hand a drive-through may be too much especially where some discussion is required to decide if a driver was at fault.

I am amused by LeClerc's reaction to Vettel's 'squeeze'. He did the same to Lando earlier in the race and squeezed Lewis off the circuit in Monza! With room to his left, Charles should have just maintained a gap to Seb. He would still have the inside line going into Turn 4. Seb should have been penalised, but Charles could have avoided contact had he wanted to.

I am amused by LeClerc's reaction to Vettel's 'squeeze'. He did the same to Lando earlier in the race and squeezed Lewis off the circuit in Monza! With room to his left, Charles should have just maintained a gap to Seb. He would still have the inside line going into Turn 4. Seb should have been penalised, but Charles could have avoided contact had he wanted to.
As always, "it takes two to tango" :)

You're quite correct that it was a 100% avoidable incident and LeClerc could (and in the bigger scheme of things should) have moved to keep the gap, however...
SV has past form on this.

I think he always has a tendency to try and cut in a bit early on a pass when he is under pressure. It's a foible. He's been around long enough that he should have addressed it.
I don't think it's a foible, I think it's a deliberate tactic by Vettel as it forces the overtaken driver to either back off a little or take a slightly different line, meaning that they are compromised and have reduced opportunity to come back at him, while Vettel improves his own line - so it's a win-win as far as SV is concerned.

LeClerc would be naive if he didn't know this, so add in the developing bad blood between the two of them and we end up with the shambles seen at Interlagos.

Results confirmed, Sainz keeps 3rd place and gets his first podium!

skysports-carlos-sainz-mclaren_4839552.jpg

Two failures to communicate or perhaps anticipate is a better word here. Albon for failing to realise that if he left the door open to Hamilton on fresh tyres he would try a passing manoeuvre, and Hamilton for failing to take account of Albon's naivety as a relative newcomer might get him in trouble . On balance perhaps the older more experienced driver should shoulder the blame on this one and I believe Hamilton has held his hand up to the stewards. I think with the multile 360 degree hindsight afforded by multiple camera angles we tend to forget the almost tunnel vision of an F1 car driver during the race. --- This despite any wing mirrors evidence to the contrary whereby with modern closing speeds and braking any "dinky toy" glanced in your wing mirrors one second is alongside you the next!:eek:

Last edited:
Yet we're constantly being told "they're the best drivers in the world". If that's true, why do they have so many crashes?

Yet we're constantly being told "they're the best drivers in the world". If that's true, why do they have so many crashes?
Because they are racing in cars that are a)being driven right to the edge of the performance envelope in very close proximity to each other and b) not tolerant of being in contact with other cars or 'track furniture'.

99.99% of drivers would fail to complete a lap in an F1 car. I've been out on-track with an ex F1 driver, completely different level of driving competence.

That sentence did make me smile, and wonder if Lewis would have ‘held his hand up’ had the Championship Race still been on. ;)
Difficult to say really but had the championship still been on he might never attempted the manoeuvre but simply settled for the points gained over his immediate rivals?

Difficult to say really but had the championship still been on he might never attempted the manoeuvre but simply settled for the points gained over his immediate rivals?

great point. :thumb:

From what I’ve seen, it seems quite clear SV moved over on LC, who had given SV enough room, before he had passed LC.

Typical bully boy tactics redolent of Senna.

I also wonder if he has the end of the 2015 season on his mind when Nico Rosberg won the last three races of the year and then went on to win the championship in 2016.

I also wonder if he has the end of the 2015 season on his mind when Nico Rosberg won the last three races of the year and then went on to win the championship in 2016.
Nico pedalled well in 2016 and did a good job of knocking Lewis off balance (accidentally on purpose causing a yellow flag in the final run of Q3 at Monaco, putting Lewis on the grass in Spain, for example) and followed through with a championship win assisted by some poor reliability in Lewis' car.

Valteri doesn't seem to be a 'mind games' sort of guy and he isn't as close to Lewis on a personal level as Nico was/is so will be less able push the buttons. He can drive, but is a bit too polite at times, trying to pass LeClerc into turn one on Sunday being a good example.

Because they are racing in cars that are a)being driven right to the edge of the performance envelope in very close proximity to each other and b) not tolerant of being in contact with other cars or 'track furniture'.

99.99% of drivers would fail to complete a lap in an F1 car. I've been out on-track with an ex F1 driver, completely different level of driving competence.

Most wouldn't make it around the track in a Touring Car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom