Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great resto and the work is very impressive. Can’t wait to see more.

Has @Alps been in touch yet to buy it back or is he waiting till it’s finished? ;-)

I'd have to charge quite a lot to cover the parts let alone the labour. :)

Done little bits here and there.

Good news unusually is the building warrant on our building for the builders to move in has been delayed.
That gives me an extra couple of weeks to be a bit more attentive on the car as the factory will be clear by end of this week.

Quite pleased with how the back end is coming together, starting to look as fresh as the day it came our the factory.

20190611_215005.jpg

Little bit more done tonight between other things.

Charcoal canister and a lot of the grommets back in as well as the clips for the pipes.
G sensor bracket cleaned and coated and back in with new nuts.
It's not putting these back in that takes time, it's cleaning them first. ;)
Seems like I've lost a grommet though!

Only one BIG machine and two small machines left to move from factory now.

Started assembling the subframe, diff. & carrier to get this bolted back on.

20190617_222615.jpg

20190617_222704.jpg

A bit more of the subframe assembled, added the wiring and pipes for the air springs and the suspension arms.

20190619_221404.jpg
Also cleaned up the exhaust and gave this a coat of high temp. paint.
20190619_221443.jpg

Added the brackets and antennas for the tyre pressure sensors, fitted fuel filler and hoses.

Found various plastic brackets for the cable routing and thought....."where do these go". :)

Got more new parts delivered today, can never have enough new parts.

20190620_222104.jpg

Noticed one of the exhaust clamps was starting to fracture ever so slightly so got a new one in from Mercedes, better to change now than wait for it to fail.

Also got the hubs pressed into the rear bearings, fitted the bearings to the wheel carriers then got these bolted onto the sub frame along with the other suspension parts with all the new bolts etc.

20190620_222210.jpg

20190620_222226.jpg
Nothings torqued up yet apart from the wheel bearings that are difficult to get to when fitted.

Shocks cleaned up ready to go back on, will get the heat shields back on tomorrow then ready to fit the subframe back in.

We also painted the body of one of the Imp's, 3 coats of base coat and 2 of lacquer, looks rather fetching. ;)

Bit more done today but got sidelined with something else.

Fitted all the grommets back, cleaned up the brake levers and various brackets for around the rear end.

^ It wil be worth it when its finished. If ever a car deserved the description of immaculate, that would be yours.

I bet you have learnt a lot about the W211 whilst doing this project.

^ It wil be worth it when its finished. If ever a car deserved the description of immaculate, that would be yours.

I bet you have learnt a lot about the W211 whilst doing this project.

Certainly have, one thing that is interesting is finding something in a box then wondering where it goes. :)

Had that the other night with a little plastic bracket, eventually found out it went into the wheel well to hold one of the fuel return hoses, of course I then had the dilemma of which nut went on it.

I'm now about to remove the subframe again so that I can check the routing of the air hose and the cable for the level sensor.
Not convinced these are routed the same as OEM so I have to double check, will also torque up the upper arms that are difficult to get to with the subframe bolted in.
Not a big deal as I've only nipped up the old bolts before I put the new ones in then torque up the subframe correctly.

I think it might have been quicker to buy the all the parts that make up an E55K and put them together - the level of detail you’ve gone to is amazing!

I think it might have been quicker to buy the all the parts that make up an E55K and put them together - the level of detail you’ve gone to is amazing!

Thanks, that wouldn't be as enjoyable though but would certainly save on the skint knuckles.

I made a bit of a **** up in post 267 and I really should know better having done the back end bearings on a few W211.

Extra like to the first one to spot what I didn't put on that really needs to go on?

Good progress. Always looks so easy in pictures. It’s an awful lot of parts to go through!

What scissor lift table is that please? :)

Stunning Work Pat, Looks like new! Im sure will also drive like it too. Lovely Buddy :)

Subframe back out, checking the wiring to the rear axle (level sensor and air suspension hose).

Will get the difficult (impossible) bolts with the subframe in torqued up tomorrow and back in.

Two of the arms I haven't replaced are the ones that need the subframe lowered to get to the bolts.
These ones though are only available OEM from Mercedes (A2113503106 & A2113503206), none of the aftermarket suppliers do one.
I'm seriously considering changing these for brand new as it's a lot of work dropping the subframe for two arms. ;)

Off to the pub now................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom