Fat 'Mechanic' on Watchdog!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get the impression that you guys don't think that his charm and charisma were worth paying that little bit extra for :dk:

Love to know what it's done to his business. He's probably inundated with calls...

...TO CANCEL!

Extremely funny... and what a totally useless mechanic..

That must be a different bloke to the one on the tv !!:rolleyes:

He is just one of many I suppose but he his entertaining

Man was not very pleasant - but I was surprised the might of BBC went for one guy - I'd have thought that they would have bigger fish to fry...

I don't blame him for phoning a friend on the diagnostic port bit. Every manufacturer puts them in a different place, and while it's easy when you know where to look - if you have not seen it before the phones probably the quickest way to find out.

It helps if you can understand the computer afterwards though.

The thing is by disconnecting things, its designed to trick as that just not something you come across as a mechanic. Plugs dont disconnect themselves.

However he should/would have come across the disconnected plugs when replacing the parts at which point he would most likely have lied about it as he would already have bought the new parts.

He should have checked the fuses though.

The thing is by disconnecting things, its designed to trick as that just not something you come across as a mechanic. Plugs dont disconnect themselves.

However he should/would have come across the disconnected plugs when replacing the parts at which point he would most likely have lied about it as he would already have bought the new parts.

He should have checked the fuses though.

True, but diagnostics indicate no.4 injector fault, and you start with basic fault fixing. 15 or 40 years experience he should know that, at least.:dk:

Given the service BNW locally give us on two minis in the family,Why would anybody go to a muppet like this bloke??? Travelling Mechanics like this guy should just be put in Jail.

Not all mobile mechanics are bad DJM.

I agree. But this guy was just stealing from people who don't know any better. I have used recommended guys both mobile and independent garages in the past and been very satisfied, so no offence intended to genuine mechanics. Perhaps I should also have explained that our BMW garage does a standard diagnostic for £40 and generally on older cars discounts spares by at least 10%.

Our local BMW dealer will bend you over at every visit...
We do use them once in a while when we have a BMW in with a problem and their labour rates and parts prices are just extortionate. And theres never any reasoning with them.

Someones got to pay for that multi storey workshop and car park i guess.

Mercedes are generally a lot more reasonable and parts prices are much cheaper than most other luxury brands.

Our local BMW dealer will bend you over at every visit...
Ours was the same: I asked them for a quote to supply and fit a new alternator to my old E39 M5 and they were at least 50% more expensive than any other garage in the area.

I liked Dan on his Bike!

Shame he's now burnt his boats with the BBC

Not excusing the crook but how often do ABS fuses blow for no reason?
Ordinarily, something must have blown the fuse?

Same with the horn. I wouldn't stop looking once I found the blown fuse. I'd at least check the connections at the horn to see if something could short out.

Okay, he didn't even find the fuses but you know what I'm getting at...

Yes that was my point exactly... they set him up and even good technicians may have fallen in their trap... but there is no doubt that despite that, he is con artist!

Not excusing the crook but how often do ABS fuses blow for no reason?
Ordinarily, something must have blown the fuse?

Same with the horn. I wouldn't stop looking once I found the blown fuse. I'd at least check the connections at the horn to see if something could short out.

Okay, he didn't even find the fuses but you know what I'm getting at...

Yes that was my point exactly... they set him up and even good technicians may have fallen in their trap... but there is no doubt that despite that, he is con artist!

I agree about him being a slimy tongued con artist, but spooked up faults often confuse mechanics as they just don't happen in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom