Finally got my C Class!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Little update:

5 days after my email I received a phone call from MB customer services. The lady said:
  • The MOT certificates are now online only so that is the reason the car was supplied without a printed copy (?) but they will send me a hard copy.
  • Seeing as the car passed its MOT they deem that there are no safety issues with a welded alloy but on this occasion, as a good will gesture, they will replace FOC and our local MB dealer (Carlisle) will be in touch to arrange.
Unfortunately we didn't receive the MOT certificate (no big deal) or a phone call from BM of Carlisle. So I called them yesterday (10 days after the call from Customer services) to see if they had any record of the replacement but unfortunately they didn't. So, another email sent to MBCS quoting the name and number of the caller. Awaiting another response.

Alongside this I also received a call from the Manager at MB Southhampton because he'd had a 'Complaint alert' (his words) about my experience. To be fair to him he asked about my buying experience and wanted to know everything from start to end. The phone call lasted a good 20 minutes. He thanked me for my time and said he would look into it and call me back the following day with a solution that hopefully would suit. True to his word he called back and said the following:
  • A replacement alloy will not be offered by them as it had passed it's MOT and therefor not a safety issue (He was not aware of the offer from MBCS, or maybe just was not letting on).
  • The mottled trims (12 in total) have been ordered in and will me sent up to me FOC on the basis that I have them fitted locally. Great news but will be happier if/when they arrive.
  • 2 replacement key fob batteries were posted and arrived. I've popped one in the 2nd remote and all is well.
  • He apologised for the salesman not responding to any of my emails.
So, we'll see what happens from here. I think it's very strange to receive a phone call as opposed to an official email form both MBCS and MB Southampton. But maybe that's just the way they do things? A good friend suggested I remove the wheel and see the weld for myself. If its tiny and neat it will put my mind at rest. If it's big and ugly then I can send photo's to push the case harder. I will do this tomorrow.

The good news it that the car is wonderful. Suits our needs and there's nothing about it (aside from the obvious) that disappoints. Been out for many many drives after work with our daughter just for the sake of going for a drive. Can't remember doing that in many years. Chuffed to bits. Have ordered a new black gloss Grille and have got some high gloss black exhaust trims too. Will hold off ordering new number plates until we decide on a budget cherished plate.
I was driving my VW T6 through Carlisle today and a handsome car just like yours came whizzing past heading towards Nandos. Looked great too! 👍🏻😁

Sounds like it’s being sorted albeit more slowly than would be ideal. Glad to hear it’s not detracting from the experience, because it’s a wonderful car 👍🏻

It's a bit poor for them to say it "passed MOT so good enough".
I'd point out to them if it had multiple "advisories" for tyres, discs, pads etc. would that not matter is it passed.
From an approved used no advisories should be only thing acceptable.

Good to hear things are being fixed and you can now look forward to a new alloy. :thumb:

Good news! It definitely pays off to keep at them. You will feel better once it actually arrives but at least a new wheel will be on the way. Good result with the trims too. As said, it's an approved car and shouldn't have any advisories to concern you

Well, I've just removed the off-side front wheel and given it a ruddy good clean. It's perfect, looks like a brand new wheel to me. 🥳

920FFDFA-0FFA-4283-AC6C-6F1F031ABBB4.jpeg
Then curiosity got the better of me so I removed Near side front and gave it a good clean too:

AF31DE29-589E-4171-9013-8D2AC1E58382.jpeg
646AAFB3-9868-48BD-8FFA-2745A30B2504.jpeg
6E146E4D-5833-413B-9F00-CDB516DB74C7.jpeg
it’s 10mm wide, 5mm projection and 45mm long. I’m no welder but I’m guessing this is not the neatest.

So the plot thickens. MOT said welded alloy to offside front. So who swopped it over to near side front?

I also spotted this on near side front disc. Can’t feel anything so is it anything to be concerned about?
375DDA9E-A579-4A54-8B10-CC616A17E2EC.jpeg
3 of those lines in total. Off side front disc is perfect.

Also tried to remove rear wheels But a few of bolts were mad tight. 😑

The look like lines from where the brake pad may have sat in the same place for a long time. My uncle had this with his car which sat for months during lockdown however his pads were quite worn and it was on both rear discs. It may have been worse but driving the car may have cleaned it up a bit. If you rub it down very finely, will it go? Obviously don't sand it continuously in one place!

Thanks Bob. I can understand it on rear discs where the pads are hard on with electric handbrake but the fronts? 🤔

Anyhow, wheels back on now. I’m going to take it to my local tyre place and ask them to re balance all 4 wheels. Whilst there I’ll ask opinion on discs.

a. A properly-welded wheel might not be a safety issue, fair enough, but it does not mean that it's acceptable on an Approved Used car. At any rate, the good news is that this one sounds like it's heading towards a resolution.

b. The stained trim bits are very common, once they are replaced avoid the "£5 hand car wash" places who spray the car with TFR.

c. The discs will rub-off in use, no action required.

d. I would loosen the over-tight bolts and retighten to torque (or get a garage to do that). Otherwise it might come back and bite you at a later time (even if your car doesn't have a spare wheel).

e. Lovely motor!

I wonder what a MB dealer would “recommend “ if they identified those MoT advisories during a service or health check?

I wonder what a MB dealer would “recommend “ if they identified those MoT advisories during a service or health check?
A brand new wheel.

It's the same old story.... if you have a faulty damper or spring, they say both sides need to be replaced at the same time. If you say that the car is under warranty... then they say that only one side needs to be replaced....

Cracking car !! But I still prefer the W204 prem plus estate but understand everyone is different.. enjoy 😊
Difference being that you obviously have taste. Something I’m very much lacking in. 🙄

😊

Difference being that you obviously have taste. Something I’m very much lacking in. 🙄

😊
I’d beg to differ on that one 😁 its personal preference at the end of the day , I think it’s the more aggressive looks on the w204 that seals the deal for me but again everyone is different 👍

It looks like the local car wash has been using a pretty aggressive wheel cleaner - and not washed it off quickly / thoroughly enough.

I’d beg to differ on that one 😁 its personal preference at the end of the day , I think it’s the more aggressive looks on the w204 that seals the deal for me but again everyone is different 👍

agreed there mate. But for me the 204 interior is way too old fashioned. As you say. Everyone’s different. Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

Cracking car !! But I still prefer the W204 prem plus estate but understand everyone is different.. enjoy 😊
That reminds me of my W209 CLK, when comments said the W208 CLK was a nicer looking car. Fact is, it wasn't, it looked bloated next to the W209.
It takes time for some folk to catch up and appreciate more modern styling.

agreed there mate. But for me the 204 interior is way too old fashioned. As you say. Everyone’s different. Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.
Exactly that ! I must admit the seats in you’re new motor look proper comfy !! What’s the usability like for the infotainment system , any good ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom