Footwell Light Stopping On

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLR1969

Car
BMW 530D M Sport
I had not used the car for about a month and when I came to use it today the voltage had dropped to 11.2v and the car would not start.

Everything else worked OK but the roof was disabled to save power.

I connected a battery charger correctly and charged it for about 30 minutes, the voltage rose to about 13.6v and the car started no problem.

I went for a drive and noticed that when it was dark the lights in the footwell stayed on but were not as bright as when you opened the door.

Have I blown a module? Does anyone have any ideas?

The car is still under warranty.

Hi you might have a bad earth some where

Is that not just the ambient lighting, mine also stay on.

Is that not just the ambient lighting, mine also stay on.

I did not have ambient lighting before, or did I. I am sure I would have noticed.

Is there a light shining from the bottom of your mirror?

Yes a very dull orange light, I had not even noticed it before it's that dull.

Having thought about it I have recently swapped the standard bulbs for hi power led ones, as the car has not been driven at night it's the first time I have noticed it.

The standard bulbs are so dim I did not even notice. Well thanks renault12ts I now have the ambient lighting option that I did not know I had....... For what its worth!

You have saved me an embarrassing trip to the dealer!

It comes "free" with the AMG55 and the 350, it used to come free with the 280/300 but now no longer. There should be the foot well lighting, which is much brighter and which delays/fades out to fully off and then you have the ambient lighting thingy in the foot wells and RVM. You're right though, it is very subtle, I think its cool:cool:.

Portzy

The footwell light fades from full power when the door is opened to maybe half power when you drive. It's the same bulb though internally. There is a light under the door that illuminates the road when the door is opened. I have up-graded these also.

Is this right?

The footwell light fades from full power when the door is opened to maybe half power when you drive. It's the same bulb though internally. There is a light under the door that illuminates the road when the door is opened. I have up-graded these also.

Is this right?

I don't think so but I could be wrong. As far as I can see the door operated foot well lighting is definitely a much brighter light and therefore maybe a bulb, the "ambient" thingy is a very dim orange so I'm guessing its a very small led of some sort similar to the one in the RVM. I will have a proper reccie tonight when it gets dark as I don't think any of it works when its day light due to the light sensors in the windscreen.

IIRC, I read somewhere that if you change certain bulbs it interferes with the cars lighting/warning systems and you can get error messages and malfunctions, something to do with the electrical resistance of the different bulbs elements.

Portzy.

I have just looked and can't see any orange lights in the footwell. I am sure it uses the standard light and just dims it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom