• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Front jack point

BennyJC30

Car
2016 GLE 250D
Looking for a bit of advice please!
I'm trying to jack up my 2016 gle 250d on the front central point. The road surface is not smooth so I've got an old slab of an oak table as a base and then trolley jack on top. But the further up I jack the car it looks like the jack is slipping off the jacking point as it's like a 1 inch wide dimple?

How can I stop this happening ? Any advice or ideas much appreciated! Thanks

This is the jack point I mean. It's only about an inch wide. As the car goes up my trolley jack saddle keeps sliding forward (towards front of the car).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210-114848.png
    Screenshot_20231210-114848.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Hello .

What does the cup of the jack look like ? Are the rear wheels chocked ? does the trolley jack actually roll along your Oak , or dig in ? I have cut a groove in a rubber jack puck to suit my central jacking point , but that don't help you much right now.

The cup on my trolley jack looks like the photo attached. It's metal not rubber. I though about putting a rubber puck on top but it wouldn't sit flush as it has those notches in it.

Pretty sure it's rolling on the slab of oak. There's no indents from what I can see. I assumed it wasn't working on the rough road surface as it wasn't flat enough, so had hoped the slab of oak would do the trick.

Didn't have the rear wheels chocked but the car was in park.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210-115731.png
    Screenshot_20231210-115731.png
    450.8 KB · Views: 0
The cup on my trolley jack looks like the photo attached. It's metal not rubber. I though about putting a rubber puck on top but it wouldn't sit flush as it has those notches in it.

Pretty sure it's rolling on the slab of oak. There's no indents from what I can see. I assumed it wasn't working on the rough road surface as it wasn't flat enough, so had hoped the slab of oak would do the trick.

Always chock a rear wheel when jacking up the front

I seldom use jacking point I normally get in below if possible and Jack on an arm or at a bushing mounting the cup of the Jack usually sits lovely on them . And obviously the wheels clogged well so no running back or forth , the trolly jack will travel as it goes up higher so just keep an eye on it.

I almost always use the centre jacking point for work on the front of the car . One action and both axle/sill stands can be put in place . It is a pain if you need to remove the undertray though :doh:

Agree great job for lifting entire front , as long as folk check there trolly jack is suitable for that weight.
Some of them cheap trolly jacks I don’t entirely trust.

I regularly jack up on the same central point BUT my larger jack has a much wider cup that covers the whole rubber jack point on the car .
I don’t think you can safely do it with that jack ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom