GLE 3l d engine seizure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone! I’m coming back because you all wanted to know the outcome and hate it when ppl don’t come back. I also want ppl to know what happened in case they are in the same position. So you all hear the sorry tale and in April last year the adjudicator found in my favour. Mercedes however rejected the findings and decided to go to the ombudsman with no further evidence. I have now won my claim with the ombudsman. I won on the basis that the car should not have failed at 24k miles and 2500 miles over its service. It simply wasn’t a black and white issue. The evidence I presented in the DEKRA report and the oil analysis with accompanying report were crucial to the findings. It now has to be fixed at a cost of £25,600 to mercedes. After this I will be taking them to the small claims for the amount of finance I have paid on a car that I had no use of. I hope this gives ppl hope when a company is trying to rob you of your right to what’s fair.

An excellent result - even though you had to persevere to achieve it. Well done!

And thank you for updating the thread.

Hi everyone! I’m coming back because you all wanted to know the outcome and hate it when ppl don’t come back. I also want ppl to know what happened in case they are in the same position. So you all hear the sorry tale and in April last year the adjudicator found in my favour. Mercedes however rejected the findings and decided to go to the ombudsman with no further evidence. I have now won my claim with the ombudsman. I won on the basis that the car should not have failed at 24k miles and 2500 miles over its service. It simply wasn’t a black and white issue. The evidence I presented in the DEKRA report and the oil analysis with accompanying report were crucial to the findings. It now has to be fixed at a cost of £25,600 to mercedes. After this I will be taking them to the small claims for the amount of finance I have paid on a car that I had no use of. I hope this gives ppl hope when a company is trying to rob you of your right to what’s fair.
Great job well done. Go for distress too 🤣

Thankyou! It has been a nightmare and honestly it made me ill for a period of time. That car has sat there since November 2021! Probably to my detriment I refused to go and have a second hand engine put in because I knew that the lack of service didn’t cause the issue. Some of you were really helpful and I really appreciate it, especially Bellow, I might not have won had I not known to get the oil analysis done. I won’t name the particular dealership but they were horrific to deal with. They blatantly lied at times, ignored calls and worked against me to try and make me go away. Oh and they’ve banged the front of it whilst sat in their lot and it now needs a new bonnet 🤦🏼‍♀️ Hopefully it’s all over though, I can sleep well tonight!

Once it is fixed i would get shot of it. Who knows how bitter they are and what sort of repair they will do.
I want rid ASAP cannot wait to see the back of it! Currently owe 32k and it’s worth about 40k to sell privately so might even get some money back for the pile of junk 🤣. I have the worst luck with cars but lessen learnt from this- SERVICE YOUR CAR ON TIME! 😅🤦🏼‍♀️

Offer them to clear the finance & put £8k in your bank account. They might go for it.
Or even "you're about to spend £25,600. If you pay me half and take the car, we can reach an alternative settlement if you wish"

They might even take that.
Worth an offer in the first instance.
And I agree with st13phil; if you ended up with £8k in your bank account to walk away, it would be worth it not to go through all the repairs, repair of the bonnet, additional damage, poor job, oil on interior etc etc etc etc,
They sound like a right shower!

Or even "you're about to spend £25,600. If you pay me half and take the car, we can reach an alternative settlement if you wish"

They might even take that.
Worth an offer in the first instance.
And I agree with st13phil; if you ended up with £8k in your bank account to walk away, it would be worth it not to go through all the repairs, repair of the bonnet, additional damage, poor job, oil on interior etc etc etc etc,
They sound like a right shower!
Yeh I’ve got a lot to think about. I cannot stress enough how bad it has been! Not just MBUK but the Marshall group dealership that it went in to. It sounds far fetched and conspiracy minded but it’s like they were trying to cover up the fact that it was a manufacturing defect. I obviously cannot escape the fact that it was late on servicing but aside from that the way it’s been handled by the dealership was shocking. I was told by the GM of the place “don’t worry about the bill to strip the engine we will help you with that” then when the bill was due he said “I only told you that so you could get some sleep as you weren’t sleeping”….I also had a technician tell me “if it was due to bad (old) oil we would have seen evidence of that by now by it sludging”. He then a week later completely denied saying those words. They told me they were impartial yet when the possibilities came through it was either oil starvation (not possible due to it having plenty) or lack of lubricating properties (which I proved wrong through analysis). There was no 3rd possibility of “a manufacturing defect”. They refused to do an oil sample yet kept on referring to an oil sample to make it look like it had been done. I am genuinely shocked that a high end reputable business that charges £200 an hour would go to such lengths to (defraud if that’s the right word?) a customer. There’s so much more I could say on the way it’s been handled and you could tell by the ombudsman words that they thought I was being “shafted” basically and that it never should have gone this far. I’m saying all this for anyone else whoever has to deal with these ppl. If I could change anything I probably would have just gotten the car fixed earlier at my own cost and reclaimed the money bk but I really didn’t think it would take this long. It’s been a wild ride and I’m just glad it’s coming to the end.

Yeah, I feel you pain.
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. Car dealers and traders have a (bad) reputation in general for a reason.
I wouldn't trust any of them to not lie and shaft me for a quid unless I have experience of rock solid past performance.

That was part of my thinking with the 'alternative settlement now' route. If you can get shot of these crooks ASAP without a financial hit, do it.

Great result! Sounds like typical mercedes service tbh.. if it was me I wouldn't make it easy for them by offering any type of quick resolution, I would make sure their dealer targets take a hit no matter how long it takes!

if it was me I wouldn't make it easy for them by offering any type of quick resolution
What does that achieve?

Personally, I would offer them a deal advantageous to me in order to close the matter quickly. If they have more than two brain cells to rub together, they'll take it because the OP has already demonstrated that they won’t give up.

Get it sold and move on, pointless to keep dragging it out
Glad you got the result you were after and thanks for updating 👍
Offer them a deal first; you can't change what has happened, but whatever leaves you with the most cash at the end of the day is the best outcome for you.

Thanks everyone! A quick one as I now move forward. I want the difference in finance between an A class and a GLE coupe refunding to me. 15 months worth. Does anyone think this is even possibly in a small claims court? I have no idea where I stand legally as it was the dealership that gave me the courtesy car not MBUK but it would be MBUK I’d be suing. I also might have to sue for anything that has deteriorated on the car since being in their garage as it shouldn’t have been that long. In short I expect to be put back in the position I would have been in should they have fixed the car a year ago. The ombudsman has only awarded me a new engine and costs of investigations. I would be claiming for around £9600 through small claims. Do we think this is possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom