Glycol issue on W211 gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I got my 53plate S211 in 06 the service record showed it to have had a new radiator and ATF flush after (documented) complaints from the previous owner described as 'shuddering'. The car's been fine since although I'm very conscientious about doing regular ATF changes.

Last edited:
auto box

No Glycol in the transmission fluid apparently, so what now? No faults on Star? Everyone stumped.

Anyone got any ideas

See Ian Walkers post this is common prob fluid has been checked therefore plate must be suspect as one day they are ok next day drive probs fluid change doubtful will cure

if no glycol present then suspect a faulty torque converter.

auto box

For a t/c to fail there must be reason ie water/antifreeze/ wrong fluid mechanical damage/ overheating or eletrical switching dirt in system most cases corrosion kills a t/c on main centre plate VERY RARE tc failure on own as it is means of fluid drive t/c is not best bet

I would agree with that

I wouldnt. TC fail on MB cars on a regular basis without ANY contamination. I have done many many of them.

I wouldnt. TC fail on MB cars on a regular basis without ANY contamination. I have done many many of them.

Does that mean I could be sitting on another timebomb. So what are the other causes of failure.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions, I think as there is no Glycol present, and the fluid is OK I'm just going to keep driving it until the problem becomes consistent enough or bad enough for someone to be able to pin point.

Thanks once again

Does that mean I could be sitting on another timebomb. So what are the other causes of failure.

The TC fails. I am not sure of the cause. I just know the symptoms and fix. I will try and find out. They are complicated units.

There is a clutch pack in the torque converter for lockup. This can wear like any clutch. It seems to have become more of a problem since mercedes has changed the lockup regime to include more gears and lower revs (I think this started around 2001)

Mercedes-Benz S-class

Shudder problems can also be caused by a faulty valve body.

Also the most important thing is to change the atf. On my car changing and using the correct 5 speed fluid (not the 7 speed) made a huge difference.

Adam

There seems to be so many reasons for g/b. problems,& considering the potential costs involved. I believe it more important to follow a path of illimination. As I said before, start with the rad. Once this is istablished not to be the reason. You can follow a cause of least financial resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom