• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Goodwood Festival of Speed

E63AMG

Car
E63 AMG. MINI One.
Hi all

Anybody going this year & got any tips? I went a couple of years ago but am sure I never got round half of it!

I'm heading down on Friday from Lytham for a full day there on Saturday if anybody fancies a brew.

Nige

I'm going on Thursday. It's the first time I've been in years. In fact over 20 years I think.

It was like an autojumble back in the 90's and I stood in the pits chatting with John Surtees as he tinkered with his car.

I'll be interested to see what it's like now.

The best advice is to get there early, before the queues to get into the car parks start in earnest, early for me starts with a 7, we are off on Friday

For me, the best part is the pre war wars in the paddock, watching them start is something I never get tired of.

Have a lovely time, you'll struggle not to

We are going Friday, first time for us.

Get in early, and expect a long day on your feet.

goodwood-festival-4-1024x677.jpg

It's a huge event these days. If you allow three to four days you should be able to get round most of it....

But if, like most of us, you've got less time than that, get hold of a programme (on paper or online - see link ), and work out what your priorities are. Some love the shops / pits / displays / schmoozing more than the racing. It sounds pedantic, but it's worth the few minutes involved.

https://www.goodwood.com/flagship-events/festival-of-speed/Timetable/

Personally, I'd always pop my head around the door of the Bonhams Auction, but it's not everyone's thing.
Here's the catalogue. Note Lot 255 the 1995 SL72 (estimate £70,000 - £100,000)

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24120/#/aa0=1&MR0_length=560&w0=grid&aj0=lot_number_asc&m0=0

IMG_2062.jpg

Last edited:
As above, get in early and be prepped for lots of walking. I went all four days. This allowed me to take my time. If you are there less than three days you'll need to prioritise.
Thursday was a bit different the year I went, the hill climbs were basically passenger runs rather than the classes

I spent pretty much a whole day photographing the hill climbs.

I would highly recommend the rally circuit, you can get nice and close. The concours, and the paddocks are of course amazing. You can get nice and close.

Enjoy it everyone who is going

Thanks for all the replies. Doing my homework this year as advised as only there for the day. Looking forward to it again, and the drive there & back too.

I'm going on Friday - and praying that the rain holds off for as much of the day as possible. I'm keen to see the Williams FW14B in action

Anyone going make sure to go down to the rallying section. My friend Bron is there with Puff, the London to Mexico 1970 Maxi, along with Paddy Hopkirk's Mini Cooper S and Healeys, and Audi Quattros and similar by the ton. If you see her, say hi to Bron from me, she's adorable (and at 72 her daily driver is a new E63!).

I'm there on Friday with a pal of mine.

Ha anybody got any spare Friday tickets they'd like to sell?

I'm heading down on Friday from Blackpool... but going via Cambridge as I'm going with family.

First time for me aswell.

Tickets no longer needed.... well look out for my cls on the way there gents! Give me a beep if you see me! V 8 W O A is the reg

Went today and had no problem getting there or parking. Thursday is probably going to be the quietest day and I think I'll make a habit of going on Thursdays in future. I've got no real desire to see F1 drivers or celebs, it's all about the metal for me.

The Mercedes stand had a number of AMG GT models on it along with an S63 cab and the new E63s. Also a concept that was huge. Spent a while chatting with a nice guy from MB there about the GTc that was in magno Silver/grey.

The thing with events like this is you get to see lots of stuff you don't even know exists.

The Maserati MC Stradale is an attractive looking thing.

Lexus LC500 is odd and has absurdly long doors.

There was a £150k BMW 760iL with executive pack there in a lovely blue with awful orange peel paint in the Stable courtyard display. Also an i8 with a "flip" paint design that was immaculately finished, so it proves they can do it.

Aston, Porsche and Ferrari were pretty sparse when it came to stands.

Lots of fantastic old race cars in the paddock though that you can still walk right up to and have a good mooch around.

It was moist underfoot so take some decent boots rather than trainers. I guess that's only going to get worse.

The supercar paddock was interesting, lots going up the hill constantly and I had the chance to look at the new Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 which I really liked, and I'm not generally a Porsche fan. Had a nice chat with a German Porsche employee who most of the time was answering the same "can I actually buy one of these " questions. Fat chance of me buying one of those I guess.

Overall just a nice petrolhead day out.

If it rains it gets seriously muddy, my suggestion is to wear crocs, and make sure you have plenty of baby wipes, a few plastic bags, and some spare shoes in the car.

And enjoy it!

Went today and had no problem getting there or parking. Thursday is probably going to be the quietest day and I think I'll make a habit of going on Thursdays in future. I've got no real desire to see F1 drivers or celebs, it's all about the metal for me.

The Mercedes stand had a number of AMG GT models on it along with an S63 cab and the new E63s. Also a concept that was huge. Spent a while chatting with a nice guy from MB there about the GTc that was in magno Silver/grey.

The thing with events like this is you get to see lots of stuff you don't even know exists.

The Maserati MC Stradale is an attractive looking thing.

Lexus LC500 is odd and has absurdly long doors.

There was a £150k BMW 760iL with executive pack there in a lovely blue with awful orange peel paint in the Stable courtyard display. Also an i8 with a "flip" paint design that was immaculately finished, so it proves they can do it.

Aston, Porsche and Ferrari were pretty sparse when it came to stands.

Lots of fantastic old race cars in the paddock though that you can still walk right up to and have a good mooch around.

It was moist underfoot so take some decent boots rather than trainers. I guess that's only going to get worse.

The supercar paddock was interesting, lots going up the hill constantly and I had the chance to look at the new Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 which I really liked, and I'm not generally a Porsche fan. Had a nice chat with a German Porsche employee who most of the time was answering the same "can I actually buy one of these " questions. Fat chance of me buying one of those I guess.

Overall just a nice petrolhead day out.

Thanks for this. Will dig my boots out!

No need for boots here! Freak weather it's beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom