• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Going on Sunday, Mrs. Gaz has got me tickets as a birthday treat. Haven't been for 7/8 years so will be good to have a wander. Hope the forecast rain holds off.. :(

Cheers,

Gaz

Here's a lovely vid by my friends at Project Shop of Puff the Magic Wagon, the 1970 London to Mexico Rally Austin Maxi in action with my great friend (and original rally driver for the car) Bron Burrell at the wheel at the Festival of Speed. She's doing fantastically, even more so when you find out she's 73...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqSZIEArTs&feature=youtu.be

Charles Morgan said:
Here's a lovely vid by my friends at Project Shop of Puff the Magic Wagon, the 1970 London to Mexico Rally Austin Maxi in action with my great friend (and original rally driver for the car) Bron Burrell at the wheel at the Festival of Speed. She's doing fantastically, even more so when you find out she's 73... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqSZIEArTs&feature=youtu.be

I saw her yesterday, she looked a very purposeful and friendly sort

My favourite car had to be the Rolls Royce swep tail, a beautiful one off built for a collector

Disappointing cars included Range Rover Velar, horribly cheap interior for the price, clearly they'll sell by the bucket load just because of the badge

There is a super display of old Rolls Royces and interesting variations on the original Fiat 500, well worth a look

As usual a great day and only a year until next time

I saw her yesterday, she looked a very purposeful and friendly sort

I had the pleasure of meeting Bron at Silverstone and driving on track at the same time. She was driving a C63 AMG Black Series, and it's fair to say she enjoyed herself :cool:

Disappointing cars included Range Rover Velar, horribly cheap interior for the price, clearly they'll sell by the bucket load just because of the badge

I thought the same, the interior quality of pretty much all JLR products below Range Rover Sport level are not good considering the price point.

The Velar did nothing for me at all, but like you say they'll sell by the bucket load.

I've since discovered Porsche did have a stand there behind the Jaguar Land Rover display, we manged to completely miss it.

I liked the Maserati Grand Turismo MC Stradale, had a good look at that and they were offering a new watch (worth £10,000 apparently) with each order if you expressed an interest at the Festival of Speed. 3 month lead time. So clearly they aren't selling any!

Last edited:
Well, I'm just back and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years. We got lucky with the weather - it's been a beautiful sunny day and not too hot -but it's grown considerably since I last went and TBH there's just too many people there now. Everywhere is rammed, you've got to queue to look at anything, and there are fewer places to watch cars going up the hill as there's a lot more grandstands/hospitality. I didn't see a single car go up, actually, other than on the big screen outside the house.

I think it's been a victim of its own success, and with a day ticket now hitting ~£70 just to get in the gate, it doesn't represent good value any more. I probably won't bother going again. Shame.

Cheers,

Gaz

gaz_l said:
Well, I'm just back and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years. We got lucky with the weather - it's been a beautiful sunny day and not too hot -but it's grown considerably since I last went and TBH there's just too many people there now. Everywhere is rammed, you've got to queue to look at anything, and there are fewer places to watch cars going up the hill as there's a lot more grandstands/hospitality. I didn't see a single car go up, actually, other than on the big screen outside the house. I think it's been a victim of its own success, and with a day ticket now hitting ~£70 just to get in the gate, it doesn't represent good value any more. I probably won't bother going again. Shame. Cheers, Gaz

I reckon Friday is the day to go. Not too busy but busy enough. Didn't queue for anything.

I stopped going nigh on 15 years ago because it was too rammed and too corporate. That and my German friend with the VIP tickets from Lufthansa moved away.

When people say they spend 3-4 days there - WTF do you do?

Saw everything in one day, 99.9% of it was the same as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

Only thing that changes is less exhibitors and the food prices go up.

S

Velar was one of the disguise names for the very first Range Rover (A big car then on the wheelbase of a BMW Mini It was made of letters from Land Rover, see?
Talago was another used for the P6, a very good car, by the way. They also badged a prototype with the then unknown name "Daihatsu!"

When people say they spend 3-4 days there - WTF do you do?

Saw everything in one day, 99.9% of it was the same as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

Only thing that changes is less exhibitors and the food prices go up.

S

IMO you should work for the Goodwood 2018 pro-mo team Simon. :D

Velar was one of the disguise names for the very first Range Rover (A big car then on the wheelbase of a BMW Mini It was made of letters from Land Rover, see?
Talago was another used for the P6, a very good car, by the way. They also badged a prototype with the then unknown name "Daihatsu!"

Velar comes from the latin verb Velare (to conceal). Which is how the original use of the name was conceived whilst testing the (at the time) new Range Rover in a disguise of sorts.

The new model is a historic nod to this in name only.

Simon_M said:
When people say they spend 3-4 days there - WTF do you do? Saw everything in one day, 99.9% of it was the same as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Only thing that changes is less exhibitors and the food prices go up. S

Completely agree! How on earth people spend 4 days there is beyond me!

I loved every second of it but one day was enough.

tron said:
So it is a stealth Range Rover?

The pre production Range Rover classic was called Velar

The current Velar looks like a cross between a Range Rover of sorts and an ordinary estate car, but with huge wheels

gunning said:
Completely agree! How on earth people spend 4 days there is beyond me! I loved every second of it but one day was enough.

And how much do they spend?

You'd go bust just eating the "gourmet" food, plus probably have severe gut rot if my uncooked burger was anything to go by

And how much do they spend?

You'd go bust just eating the "gourmet" food, plus probably have severe gut rot if my uncooked burger was anything to go by

Good point. £6.50 for a distinctly grotty burger (I did think it was cooked, but who knows how often the food staff wash their hands), and indeed I have had Montezuma's revenge today :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom