Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (replaces old Eagle F1 and GSD3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that's foiled that idea then! I thought those Hydragrips were winter tyres. I would alos have thought that the Rainsports (Uniroyals) were winter tyres. My CLK55 actually had those on briefly when I got it, and they are possibly the worst tyre I ever drove on.

Well, there are plenty of other reviews on the web, they can't test everything I suppose!

The Rainsports & Hydragrips are summer tyres with a wet weather tread pattern. If you live in a wet climate they may be better than other summer tyres. Winter tyres, or cold weather tyres, will have the snowflake in the mountain symbol on the sidewall to show they meet the criteria for use on snow and ice. Snowflake on the mountain symbol replaces the old M+S symbol on winter tyres.

Russ

I changed to them from continentals (rear only) {fronts within next few months}....better grip - quieter - but i'm wondering if fuel consumption has deterioriated or has my driving ??

My opinion on GSD3....Never again. I bought them probably because of all the good write ups they perceived on this site and the graeat looking V tread pattern but will never buy again. I will admit the tread pattern looks great, but looks can be deceiving.

Here are my reasons against buying again..

1. Originaly fitted on rears, caused oversteer when cornering.

2. Rubber wears VERY quickly. Believe me.

3. Changed to front axle. Rubber wears even more quickly, especially on the outside.e

4. The rubber feathered very quicky on mine, 5K miles on rear, 2 K on front, burned out, finished. No more GSD3 for me.

Over rated and over priced. Never again will I by these soft rubber tyres.

Last edited:
1. Originaly fitted on rears, caused oversteer when cornering.

2. Rubber wears VERY quickly. Believe me.

3. Changed to front axle. Rubber wears even more quickly, especially on the outside.e

4. The rubber feathered very quicky on mine, 5K miles on rear, 2 K on front, burned out, finished. No more GSD3 for me.
Sounds like your geometry is out. You can't burn out a set of road tyres in 2000 miles with 'normal' street driving unless you're scrubbing off rubber excessively due to poor suspension geometry.

I've used GSD3-F1 for 3 years on all my cars and I do track days with my BMWs. The performed very well and the rears lasted more than 10,000 miles despite occasional track use.

Hi - yes I have Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on my clk55 amg. They appear to be a good tyre but as I have only had them on for a couple of weeks its a bit early to tell. Next week they will cover 2000 miles in the highlands and I will have a better view. (I am hoping they wear better the Dunlop SP9000s which were good but only lasted 6 months).
newwheelsMarch2008-2-1.jpg

I'm now on my third set of GSD3's.

Regarding the tramlining they start to do this when the inside shoulder goes. This happens at roughly the same time as the rears get excessively low. Not sure how many miles I got on this set - maybe 13,000 miles. This is not specific to thes cars or tyres - a mate of mine has a Boxster and has had mores that one brand of tyre and experiences the exact same thing.

I could get better wear if I eased up on the throtte and brakes. It's not that I thrash the car but obviously using 300lb/ft of torque (ie driving at just over 3000rpm) is always going to stress the rears. Using the powerful brakes is what probably does for the inside shoulders.

I stayed with GSD3's rather that go for the new asymmetics as I was offered such a good deal - fronts were down to £60 and rears just over £70.

I'm now on my third set of GSD3's.

Regarding the tramlining they start to do this when the inside shoulder goes. This happens at roughly the same time as the rears get excessively low. Not sure how many miles I got on this set - maybe 13,000 miles. This is not specific to thes cars or tyres - a mate of mine has a Boxster and has had mores that one brand of tyre and experiences the exact same thing.

I could get better wear if I eased up on the throtte and brakes. It's not that I thrash the car but obviously using 300lb/ft of torque (ie driving at just over 3000rpm) is always going to stress the rears. Using the powerful brakes is what probably does for the inside shoulders.

I stayed with GSD3's rather that go for the new asymmetics as I was offered such a good deal - fronts were down to £60 and rears just over £70.

Where did you get that deal from ? Also how much tread is left after 13000 ?

I have had most of the major brands fitted to my car/s and by far the best are the gsd-3's i have them fitted all round on my W203 and have no problems at all, the grip is superb much better than the PS2's i have experimented lately with a diffent setup and quite like it, its haveing gsd3-3's upfront and PS2's on the rear the grip is phenominal and is much quieter but the PS2's dont last that long and i might go back to the gsd-3's or right back to the contis and p-zero rossos

I checked up on the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric today as my tyre dealer -£98 fitted. size 225/45/17

How does that sound ? Same price for the Conti Sport Contact2.

Really dont know which one to go for !!!

I checked up on the new Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric today as my tyre dealer -£98 fitted. size 225/45/17

How does that sound ? Same price for the Conti Sport Contact2.

Really dont know which one to go for !!!

Don't forget the Conti 2 is also Asymetric.

I run GSD-3's on all of my CRX's - ok they are lightweight FWD but the grip is very good in the dry, exceptional in the wet!

On track I use toyo R888's on the front and Yokohama A048R's on the back as being my ideal track choice, But I have also managed to track the car on GSD-3's too and still have enough tread to get home on if needed.

Anyone who has knocked out a set of GSD's in just a couple of thousand miles has issues way beyong tyre costs and accelearted wear

15 inch tyres are however much easier/cheaper to come by :p

The goodyear eagle F1 aysymmetric does not have the V pattern so I presume the tramline problem doesn't occur ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom