• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Got flashed now waiting on the postman

Cherrypd

Car
E250 Convertible (A207)
We were driving up to my sisters for a few days and my hubby was driving. Plodding along the M3 at 80 and around the last few miles to the M3/M25 junction in lane 3, a faster car that had just passed got flashed. He said there was a second flash which may have been us. Now the waiting time to see if the postman brings him an envelope of doom. Bloody hell was his reaction, so im winding him up at most opportunities:banana:

80 mph?...on the speedo?
Well if you have stock sized wheels that will be a real 76 or 77 mph. Under the 10% plus 2 guidelines I will be amazed if you hear anything. It's two flashes per car...so as said the faster car was nabbed.

Umm.....
Isn't it 50mph around that junction at the moment?

We were driving up to my sisters for a few days and my hubby was driving. Plodding along the M3 at 80 and around the last few miles to the M3/M25 junction in lane 3, a faster car that had just passed got flashed. He said there was a second flash which may have been us. Now the waiting time to see if the postman brings him an envelope of doom. Bloody hell was his reaction, so im winding him up at most opportunities:banana:
And so you should !

Unlikely to result in anything “if” that’s the 70mph bit, BUT isn’t junction 2-4 now 50mph? (Thorpe interchange being junction 2)

You’re lucky to have been driving anywhere near that fast. Came back from Cornwall yesterday and the A303 / M3 was tediously busy and slow: 40mph door to door

Last edited:
And so you should !

Unlikely to result in anything “if” that’s the 70mph bit, BUT isn’t junction 2-4 now 50mph? (Thorpe interchange being junction 2)

You’re lucky to have been driving anywhere near that fast. Came back from Cornwall yesterday and the A303 / M3 was tediously busy and slow: 40mph door to door
I think it's only 50mph with average speed cameras going southbound.
The London-bound side is 70 at least up to the M25 junction. Or it was last time I went that way.

I think it's only 50mph with average speed cameras going southbound.
The London-bound side is 70 at least up to the M25 junction. Or it was last time I went that way.
Yep - I live in that area and drive that part of the M3 regularly. 70mph (smart, so variable) northbound and 50mph (average speed cameras) southbound from the M25 for the first mile or so. Then smart again, I think until you get past Fleet. The smart sections have plenty of Hadecs cameras.

Two flashes in quick succession (about half a second apart) usually means a ticket for somebody; a single flash does not. How far apart were the two flashes, if indeed there were two?

If you were doing an indicated 80 mph, even if you were 'done' your husband is almost certain to be offered a speed awareness course (UK Eurovision entry; nil points...); the upper eligibility limit for these courses is 86 mph in a 70 limit. Don't worry, be happy...

Last edited:
Most of the newer cameras don’t even flash . Just don’t exceed 10% of the speed limit ever .

HADECS installations, as on the M25, M3 and M23, M5, M6 and M42, do flash. Apart from average speed camera installations at roadworks, which don't flash because they don't detect vehicles, just registration plates, only HADECS installations are used on the English motorway network afaik.

If it's anything like our postman, you're in for a very long wait!

Or do more than 20 mph in Wales 😂

HADECS installations, as on the M25, M3 and M23, M5, M6 and M42, do flash. Apart from average speed camera installations at roadworks, which don't flash because they don't detect vehicles, just registration plates, only HADECS installations are used on the English motorway network afaik.
This says they don’t flash ?

IMG_2569.png

Yep 80 on the speedo, the digital read out in the cluster and indeed towards the M25 not the 50 zone going away from the M25. I'll asking him to have a look on the map where he thinks it was. But no restrictions at the time.

This says they don’t flash ?

View attachment 151246
Those were the original HADECS. The ones today are all HADECS 3 - either two all-yellow squarish boxes, or one longer yellow box, depending on the manufacturer - and in variable speed limit areas at least you get early warning of them because there will be a grey pole with two or three small horizontal cylindrical cameras on it about 100-200 yards before the gantry.

HADECS 3 flash; see post #9.

Yep 80 on the speedo, the digital read out in the cluster and indeed towards the M25 not the 50 zone going away from the M25. I'll asking him to have a look on the map where he thinks it was. But no restrictions at the time.

If you were travelling on the M3 towards London, then the speed limit up to the M25 and also after passing the M25 is indeed 70mph.

At least you've something to look forward to. Happy new year. 🎊🎊.
I usually order a few things off eBay after I think I've been caught , it helps with the tension when you see the post man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom