• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

HDMI source into Displayport monitor?

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Hopefully someone in here will be able to answer this one for me. I am planning on buying a new monitor and would like it to have VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. VGA/DVI for use with PC & Mac, with the HDMI port to connect to PS3 (currently plugged into main TV, but I get little time to use it as Mrs. Gaz likes to use the TV for watching television) :doh:.

I've found a nice HP monitor which ticks all my boxes but it comes with a Displayport connection as opposed to HDMI. After looking to see if it's possible to get a converter, I am a little puzzled. Most of the converters I've come across seem to take a Displayport source (i.e. a PC/Mac graphics card) and convert it to display on an HDMI monitor, which is the opposite of what I want to achieve. Could the conversion be bi-directional? I've read that Displayport runs at 3.3v signal levels, as opposed to the 5v levels used in HDMI/DVI :confused:

If anyone has the insider knowledge to answer my question, I'd appreciate a reply.. the monitor is not a cheap one (c. £250) so I need an answer before I take the plunge..

Cheers,

Gaz

I Have a Samsung Syncmaster p2470 HD, which should be for you.
It is a 24" TV with 1920X1080 with all the inputs check it out, cost me £225 at local computer fair

Thanks for the replies, basically I've made a rod for my own back as I want a monitor that can rotate into portrait mode, I'm pushed for space so it really needs to be 22" or less, *and* I want full HD resolution. Not that I'm asking for much!

The only one I've found so far is the HP ZR22w - nice monitor, but as I said, DisplayPort rather than HDMI. Spec. sheet below: