Help, Heated seats w124 interior swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka$h

MB Enthusiast
Car
Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
I decided to change me grey leather for beige, having bougth a donor car from a friend recently. I knew the seats were not electric and had planned to swap the covers over. I didnt realise that the heater elements were intergrated into the seat covers.

Ive now swapped the trim over thinkning that Id just have to live without heated seats, but am now considering alternatives.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I have found these retrofit kits but id like them to use my existing switches,
http://www.waeco.co.uk/docs/MSH-50 spec.pdf

Heres a few photos of the current state of my car:

dsc02218cl8.jpg

dsc02219gu9.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.
Simal

I have fitted these to my LR and they work well. Very simple to fit and wire. As the MB switch is also a 3 position switch you should be able to use it. You should not pay any more than £40 for a complete set.

The heated seat elements are available separately for cloth interiors, I have posted the part numbers before in a very similar thread :)

Shude said:
The heated seat elements are available separately for cloth interiors, I have posted the part numbers before in a very similar thread :)

Ive seen the thread you mention, I also check on the epc and found this was the case.
Any idea as to why the leather ones were incorporated into the seats?
Would I have any issues with fitting them between the cushion and cover?
Thanks

Subyland said:
I have fitted these to my LR and they work well. Very simple to fit and wire. As the MB switch is also a 3 position switch you should be able to use it. You should not pay any more than £40 for a complete set.

I was quoted £150 for a set, so I think that must have been a rip off, as the price on their website is £41.

aka$h said:
Ive seen the thread you mention, I also check on the epc and found this was the case.
Any idea as to why the leather ones were incorporated into the seats?
Would I have any issues with fitting them between the cushion and cover?
Thanks
Presumably fabric conducts heat better than leather! I think it basically takes a little bit longer to get warm.

Shude said:
Presumably fabric conducts heat better than leather! I think it basically takes a little bit longer to get warm.

or because all leather seats are heated the heaters are fitted as standard to the cover, whereas due to material not needing heating they are added as required, so the covering manufacturer isn't geared up for fitting them to the cover.

Dieselman said:
or because all leather seats are heated the heaters are fitted as standard to the cover, whereas due to material not needing heating they are added as required, so the covering manufacturer isn't geared up for fitting them to the cover.
I wish that were true, but i can assure you my new seats dont have any wires present

Dieselman said:

Has anyone found this to be true?, maybe the element is present but you have to cut into the backing to get to it.

The epc does show different part nmuber for heated and nonheated leather seat covers.

I believe there is a 124 pad for cloth seats but it's really thick to use under leather seat covers. Heated option on leather equipped cars came stitched inside the leather. You can get an aftermarket pad and install it under the leather or a A class pad and do that but it will not be as effective as the oem solution since the oem solution has the heat pad between the foam and leather.

aka$h said:
The epc does show different part nmuber for heated and nonheated leather seat covers.
Heated leather seats do not suffer from the same amount of "sag" as non-heated. My car has a pretty impressive bum-print sagged into the leather on the driver's side. It was there when I bought the car I tells ya! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom