Hidden or not very well documented "features" on your Mercedes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much better that they do. That way, the person in the car behind knows that you're still braked. "Hold" works just as if you had your foot held (see what I did there) on the brake.

Yes, you can justify it both ways. I would rather they went out so as if you were on the parking brake. If I want the lights on, I can keep my foot on the brake pedal.

I just discovered through another forum that when I use the convenience opening function (yes, it works on my car) that the seat ventilation is also triggered.

But, further, I discovered that pressing and holding the A/c recirc. button would close all windows and sunroof too!! Then, if your press the recirc. button again the windows will open again.

My excuse for not knowing this is that rather than have this explained in the summer open/close bit of the handbook it was a foot note to the recirc. button in the A/C bit of the hand book.

Last edited:
On the modern electronic lever selector (right of gearstick, not central selector), if you are reversing and open the drivers door to see how far back you need to go, it will automatically put you into PARK mode. You can then override this by pressing the 'R' again so that you can reverse while the door is open. After you switch off, it will revert to the safe mode, so when you next switch on, opening the driver's door will put you into PARK mode (while stationary or moving slowly. Moving quickly won't do this, as this could screw up your gearbox).

In fact, if you have the electronic selector rather than the manual selector, you don't actually need to put it in to PARK mode, as opening the door or switching off the engine automatically does this for you.

In my CLS, I have the split 60/40 folding seats. If you pull the latch to release these seats, it will automatically move your front seats forward so that the rear headrests don't collide. Of course, if you have the 60/40 split seat option, you lose the ultra cool boot closing function, but you do gain a vehicle with massive boot potential.

If you're at traffic lights and press the brake pedal a little harder, that blue P turns into the word HOLD, and you can take your foot off the brake without it creeping forward.

Does this have to be at traffic lights? I've tried it randomly and can't get it to work.

Does this have to be at traffic lights? I've tried it randomly and can't get it to work.

No. Anywhere you want to stop and rest your feet. :D

On the modern electronic lever selector (right of gearstick, not central selector), if you are reversing and open the drivers door to see how far back you need to go, it will automatically put you into PARK mode. You can then override this by pressing the 'R' again so that you can reverse while the door is open. After you switch off, it will revert to the safe mode, so when you next switch on, opening the driver's door will put you into PARK mode (while stationary or moving slowly. Moving quickly won't do this, as this could screw up your gearbox).

In fact, if you have the electronic selector rather than the manual selector, you don't actually need to put it in to PARK mode, as opening the door or switching off the engine automatically does this for you.

I've discovered both by trial and error.

Interesting on the first one though - I will remember that!

I've discovered both by trial and error.

Interesting on the first one though - I will remember that!

I discovered this because when I back into marked bays, I like to open my driver's door to make sure that a) I have left myself enough room between my door and the bay next to me and b) my car is parallel to the white line, rather than skeewiff. After all, the reversing camera ensures I don't hit a bumper or pole behind my car.

(Of all the cars I have owned, parking the CLS straight is a skill as the body has a slight bow to it. The number of times I have had to re-park because the car is 10 degrees off the straight when exiting the vehicle is astounding. I might be a perfectionist, but a badly parked Merc is not a nice sight).

I discovered this because when I back into marked bays, I like to open my driver's door to make sure that a) I have left myself enough room between my door and the bay next to me and b) my car is parallel to the white line, rather than skeewiff. After all, the reversing camera ensures I don't hit a bumper or pole behind my car.

(Of all the cars I have owned, parking the CLS straight is a skill as the body has a slight bow to it. The number of times I have had to re-park because the car is 10 degrees off the straight when exiting the vehicle is astounding. I might be a perfectionist, but a badly parked Merc is not a nice sight).

It's certainly a strategy I've used since I started driving when parking the OS against a kerb or a line.

Caught me out in the CL when it did that!

I sometimes struggle to park the car straight (even forwards). For years I had no issue and then when I had a Saab 9-5, whatever point of reference I used in the car meant I was parking at the wrong angle albeit the same wrong angle each time (probably 10 degrees too).

If you're at traffic lights and press the brake pedal a little harder, that blue P turns into the word HOLD, and you can take your foot off the brake without it creeping forward.

Didn't know that :thumb:

You have to "double tap" the brakes to engage HOLD. At least on mine you do :crazy:
On my 2012 facelift W204 C-class it definitely needs a quick double tab once you come to a standstill to get the HOLD to appear. Extremely useful.

Being a Mercedes newbie and possibly RTFM, but as it is getting darker I noticed that there is a LED distance warning indicator for the rear parking sensors mounted at the top of the rear window.

And the blue LED lights (front) which turn on briefly when you unlock the car, you won't notice this when using Keyless go but when unlocking the car from a distance it looks very cool!:eek:

Being a Mercedes newbie and possibly RTFM, but as it is getting darker I noticed that there is a LED distance warning indicator for the rear parking sensors mounted at the top of the rear window.

And the blue LED lights (front) which turn on briefly when you unlock the car, you won't notice this when using Keyless go but when unlocking the car from a distance it looks very cool!:eek:

The features of which you speak depend on the spec of the car. Blue lights for example are on ILS cars.

Found that if left fully open the roof closes to tilt position when darkness falls, or garage door is shut

THats intersting I didn't know about the auto roof closure in the dark, thought it was just rain that triggered that.

The puddle lights only come on when it's dark (linked to the light sensor) - don't try and fix it if it's not working during daytime....

I just discovered through another forum that when I use the convenience opening function (yes, it works on my car) that the seat ventilation is also triggered.

Aha! I've been mystified as to why that has started happening on mine (just had the cooler fixed and thought there was some sort of wiring fault...).

In my 212 I was delighted to recently find an addition 12V power supply in the glovebox to go with the one in the front central binnacle, the one in the rear central binnacle and the one in the boot.

Was able to keep all the family's phones, tablets, kindles, fitbits and power blocks charged up on the recent trip to the south of France.

Found that if left fully open the roof closes to tilt position when darkness falls, or garage door is shut

On mine, it says the roof closes if it rains or after something like 6 hours, no mention of darkness?

Russ

Mention of roof closing reminds me. Today I parked on the school run and I'm sure the windows were closed. When I returned a few minutes later, all four windows were open by the same amount, maybe 30mm. Feature or bug?

Was the car unlocked too?

The only thing I can think of is that you were accidentally holding the unlock button down on your fob. But you must also have been right by the drivers door, as it only works there (presumably to try to stop exactly what happened to you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom