• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

High Bmi ? Fat ? Overweight ? Beer belly ? On meds ?

The best tool for weight control ive found was entering to run a marathon. I found long runs of around 15 miles not only burnt quite a few calories but also massively suppressed my appetite. I had to force myself to eat. Compare that with a wet and muddy 30 mile mountain bike ride and the ensuing inhalation of just about every calorie in the house. I’m assuming the stomach jiggling of running was a key factor.

One thing to be aware of is that if you control your fat % just by restricting calories you will also lose muscle - as a survival mechanism our bodies try to hang on to fat reserves. So training with weights can help to prevent that.

Also, with restricted calorie intake our metabolism drops, again as a survival mechanism as the body thinks it’s starting to starve. I did read that for weight loss it’s actually good to have a binge every now and then to kick start the metabolism.

The best tool for weight control ive found was entering to run a marathon. I found long runs of around 15 miles not only burnt quite a few calories but also massively suppressed my appetite. I had to force myself to eat. Compare that with a wet and muddy 30 mile mountain bike ride and the ensuing inhalation of just about every calorie in the house. I’m assuming the stomach jiggling of running was a key factor.

One thing to be aware of is that if you control your fat % just by restricting calories you will also lose muscle - as a survival mechanism our bodies try to hang on to fat reserves. So training with weights can help to prevent that.

Also, with restricted calorie intake our metabolism drops, again as a survival mechanism as the body thinks it’s starting to starve. I did read that for weight loss it’s actually good to have a binge every now and then to kick start the metabolism.
I was always told that weight control starts in the kitchen.

When I’m training for a sprint triathlon I’ll swim 1km every other day and my appetite goes off the scale.

I think it’s a combination. I like to eat! But I’m also conscious when I’m carrying a few extra pounds - I can really feel it. So to cut fat I up my exercise more than cutting the amount that I eat. But saying that I do generally eat quite healthily. For sure though I eat a piece of chocolate every day and more than the odd cake a week!

But yes if you’re pigging out on pie and chips every day and 10 pints you’d have to exercise a lot to counter that. So in that case starting in the kitchen would be a good idea.

When I’m training for a sprint triathlon I’ll swim 1km every other day and my appetite goes off the scale.
Amen.

See Montignac or Michael Mosley (BBC Radio 4 - Just One Thing - with Michael Mosley, Weight Loss Special – with Prof Giles Yeo)

It's not practical to run 10k to burn off a small pizza or a "decent" dessert.

My son does Ironman in 9 1/2 hours and eats for England while training. Structured, protein and carb heavy, low sugar, but huge amounts of food. "Just has to"

Well the advice I gave right at the start of this thread still holds good,everybody can lose weight,you need to cut out carbs,and do some moderate exercise,nothing crazy,two mile walk a day will be more than enough,as you go about you day your body will use energy and it will use what carbs you have to satisfy that energy need because carbs are the easiest thing for your brain to order your body to burn,when there are no carbs it has to burn fat,you will get headaches because your body has got used to sugar in its system but that will go after a week,cut out bread biscuits,all sweets and beer,you can eat well and still lose around 5lb a week for say 4 weeks then it will reduce to around 2 or 3 lb

cut out bread, biscuits,all sweets and beer,you can eat well and still lose around 5lb a week for say 4 weeks then it will reduce to around 2 or 3 lb
These are areas that I need to work on! 🤣🤣 And chocolate.

I think it’s a combination. I like to eat! But I’m also conscious when I’m carrying a few extra pounds - I can really feel it. So to cut fat I up my exercise more than cutting the amount that I eat. But saying that I do generally eat quite healthily. For sure though I eat a piece of chocolate every day and more than the odd cake a week!

But yes if you’re pigging out on pie and chips every day and 10 pints you’d have to exercise a lot to counter that. So in that case starting in the kitchen would be a good idea.
I’ve been very down with gym, cycling and swimming since last summer but I’m going to ramp it up slowly over the next few weeks.

I got an email today telling me that it’s 4 months to the RideLondon 100.

I got an email today telling me that it’s 4 months to the RideLondon 100.
Give us a nudge if you fancy a sponsor for your charity.

(Might not give you any money, but at least we can all pray for decent weather)

These are areas that I need to work on! 🤣🤣 And chocolate.
Me too. Although I’ve coped much better this January than in previous years.

I miss my goodies and wine on a weekend. Especially Friday when I get home from work when we usually get da tunz on and have treats.

Missing crisps and chocolate but worth it. Lost 5.2kgs since 8th Jan.

No bread at all and cut down on the carbs once again. 😊

I miss my goodies and wine on a weekend. Especially Friday when I get home from work when we usually get da tunz on and have treats.

Well done. 👍👍

Give us a nudge if you fancy a sponsor for your charity.

(Might not give you any money, but at least we can all pray for decent weather)
Thanks.

After the awful Spring weather last May the ride was wall to wall sunshine.

I’m doing it for Macmillan Cancer Support and I’ll set up the Just Giving page soon.

It’s a 160km ride but with all the messing about before and after it’ll end up being around 210.

Now, wasn't there a thread about this? Once upon a time?

Ps Well done. I don't know how you do it. I can maybe move a kilo a month, in one direction or another, but never, ever, more.

Thanks.
After the awful Spring weather last May the ride was wall to wall sunshine.
I’m doing it for Macmillan Cancer Support and I’ll set up the Just Giving page soon.
It’s a 160km ride but with all the messing about before and after it’ll end up being around 210.
Know it well. It used to go past my door.

Son did it once when he was a nipper. it was a "learning experience." Not as straightforward as it looks - no matter what your fitness

Now, wasn't there a thread about this? Once upon a time?

Ps Well done. I don't know how you do it. I can maybe move a kilo a month, in one direction or another, but never, ever, more.
Aye, Toe’s (@SmartAmg) Thread from a few years back.

I can easy lose weight.

But come the nice weather and BBQ’s it creeps back on. 😊

I lost about 40KG in 9-10 months last year using intermittent fasting and restricting carbs / sugar. While I never felt hungry and would exercise routinely, my calorie intake was about 1500 cals / day. I eased up considerably since but have remained pretty steady. The stuff that Dr Berg talks about in several of the posted videos is pretty much what I was doing.

I lost about 40KG in 9-10 months last year using intermittent fasting and restricting carbs / sugar. While I never felt hungry and would exercise routinely, my calorie intake was about 1500 cals / day. I eased up considerably since but have remained pretty steady. The stuff that Dr Berg talks about in several of the posted videos is pretty much what I was doing.
Very well done but I have some questions? what kind of exercise did you do and are you much fitter? What was your weight then and now?
Have you started to put in back in again??

Interesting.

I have an old buddy in Loughton, by the side of the Forest.

Might get him to invite me over for a Barbecue and a Rioja to help encourage you through.

I'd invite you to join us but methinks you'll have other things on your mind.
There are so many people out the front of their houses cheering people on. It really makes a difference

If you fancy it let me know because there’s an app where you can track me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom