• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

High Bmi ? Fat ? Overweight ? Beer belly ? On meds ?

Amazing for a 50 year old living in Texas

Yeah, it's pretty easy to eat food food here that might not be as good for you as you think because of the added sugar. One quick example is bread from the supermarket.

Tesco white bread:

1706628915985.png

Kroger (equivalent supermarket) white bread

1706629035833.png

That's basically 11g of sugar per 100g in the American bread vs the 2.8g in the UK one. It adds up and is hard to notice which is why it pays not to eat any processed food.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to eat food food here that might not be as good for you as you think because of the added sugar. One quick example is bread from the supermarket.

Tesco white bread:

View attachment 152581

View attachment 152583

That's basically 11g of sugar per 100g in the American bread vs the 2.8g in the UK one. It adds up and is hard to notice which is why it pays not to eat any processed food.
Bread rice pasta potatoes cereal sugar etc should all be kept to a minimum, low carbs for the win.

The best that can be said of a generalisation is that at some point it will be erroneous.
Bread rice pasta potatoes cereal sugar etc should all be kept to a minimum, low carbs for the win.
And there's an example of that.

Thanks.

After the awful Spring weather last May the ride was wall to wall sunshine.

I’m doing it for Macmillan Cancer Support and I’ll set up the Just Giving page soon.

It’s a 160km ride but with all the messing about before and after it’ll end up being around 210.
My son regularly rides >200 miles (yes, that’s miles) and he’s as skinny as a rake, so it must work. Or perhaps it’s the 100+ sheep he looks after on his hobby farm of 80 acres of Welsh hillside :dk:

Tesco white bread:

View attachment 152581

View attachment 152583

Know it too well. Worked alongside Americans forever, used to spend a month each year on MV, eating lobster rolls at $5 a pop. Have got family in DFW and even a nephew who's just become a US Citizen in California. (God/ Trump Save His Soul - *delete as appropriate)

Had stern conversations with my brother who worked for Recaro in Fort Worth who thought the smart way to start the day was 20 ounces of Starbucks Latte and a muffin in the car on the way in, not realising that that it was a sugar laden 800 calories before he walked through the door.

A constant battle with high sugar, carbs, and ridiculous portion sizes.

Hence my praise for a Texan with a 32 inch waist. It seems you're not a man to have been eating deep fried butter at the State Fair

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 18.14.06.png

Last edited:
Breakfast in for people with too much time on their hands and/or no kids!
Why?... if you are not over weight they are essential for life. Foods high in carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet. Carbohydrates provide the body with glucose, which is converted to energy used to support normal bodily functions and physical activity.

Breakfast in for people with too much time on their hands and/or no kids!

Why?... if you are not over weight they are essential for life. Foods high in carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet. Carbohydrates provide the body with glucose, which is converted to energy used to support normal bodily functions and physical activity.
I try have a big carb heavy meal before a long bike ride.

Your need carbs.... but like most other things, not too much. People who don't consume enough carbs have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia).... symptoms of which include :

sweating
feeling tired
dizziness
feeling hungry
tingling lips
feeling shaky or trembling
a fast or pounding heartbeat (palpitations)
becoming easily irritated, tearful, anxious or moody
turning pale.....
... so its not very good for you.

Your need carbs.... but like most other things, not too much. People who don't consume enough carbs have low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia).... symptoms of which include :

sweating
feeling tired
dizziness
feeling hungry
tingling lips
turning pale.....
Wandering around Aldi and Lidl, there’s not a lot of hypoglycemia about. More just a lot of wobbling.

I doubt that anyone’s questioning carbing up for a four hour bike ride with regular top ups.

The issue’s really whether reducing sugar and carb intake might be the most effective way of burning / reducing our lovely but unwanted belly fat.

sweating
feeling tired
dizziness
feeling hungry
tingling lips
turning pale.....
These are very similar to symptoms of the female menopause. (So my wife tells me)

Regarding Carbs.

For over 20 years now I’ve had a massive heat issue. I’m hot ALL the time. I sleep in the spare room most nights with the window open (even when it’s well below freezing). The Summer months are terrible especially when grafting at work. This is partly the reason why I love winter, I find life much easier when the weather is cold 🥶.

Having just done a month of massively reduced carbs both my core and surface temperature have reduced tenfold.

I understand the body’s need for carbs but for me it seems I’m better off without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom