How do I replace a fuel flap actuator on a W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaker218

Car
C257 CLS 2019
A couple of days ago I placed a message on here requesting advice on how to sort out my fuel flap that got stuck on my W212

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/204648-w212-fuel-flap-stuck.html

The emergency release didn't work so I used brute force to open the flap. I then put lots of WD40 on the pin and it now seems to work fine. However, I am concerned that the pin might get stuck again so I would prefer to replace the actuator with a new one.

The actuator appears to be sandwiched between two skins so its difficult to get to. I can just about touch it by putting my hand into where the first aid pouch is stored but there is no way that i could remove it unless i was some kind of magician but obviously there must be a way to do it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Looking at WIS, it seems the fuel filler recess can be removed from the rear wing. It involves inserting a 'catch hook' into the 4 small holes near its edges.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the WIS instruction for removing the fuel filler recess.

In the meantime I will check WIS for something more specific to the locking actuator.

PS If you include your VIN or model number (e.g. 212.203) the info will be more accurate.

x09867
x09867

W212 fuel flap actuator.JPG
Looking a bit further, and with reference to the photo of the actuator above (A204 820 53 97) it seems a real PITA to get at this actuator. I guess you would have to remove the boot liner and probably whatever control units are between the liner and the wing (rear SAM ?).

If its working now, I would lubricate the pin with graphite grease and check it 6 monthly. Don't get graphite grease near the motor or contacts - I think it conducts electricity.

Attachments

• W212 fuel flap actuator.JPG
    W212 fuel flap actuator.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thanks Codger49. You have been very helpful. If its going to be a bit too difficult to replace the actuator I will you use the graphite grease as you suggested

I guess 3 years could lead to some crud building up on the locking pin. A good clean up and then regular graphite lubrication should keep it working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom