How do you store tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borislucy

Car
astra
Here goes.

A couple of years back I was travelling in Europe during winter and experienced the sheer terror of driving on untreated hills in summer tyres. At the first opportunity (after changing my underwear) I bought a set of winter tyres. Happy days. The spare set of tyres now sit in the garage. The garage now needs to be used for storing, well a car funnily enough! So I am wondering how to safely store the tyres. I have a few shelves in there but my Diy being what it is I am scared that the weight will bring the shelving down on to said car which would be slightly distressing to say the least. So my thought was to put some brackets on the wall that can hold upto 50kg and hang them vertically off that.

So question is...will that work or will over 6 months the tyre get misshaped?

Any thoughts

As long as they are kept inflated they will be OK.

Ahh thanks for the reply. Should have said they are not on rims just the rubber, so can't inflate them.

Are we talking wheels or tyres? If tyres mine are wrapped in tyre wrap (designed for the job) then stacked on top of each other at the back of the garage. I learned this one from the race teams I have been part of over the years. You can also buy actual tyre covers but they aren't cheap. A roll of tyre wrap is much cheaper and can be got from motorsport dealers like demon tweaks etc..

From Continental's website ...

how_to_store_your_winter_tyres_during_summer_en,property=originalBig.jpg

Continental Tyres -How to store your Winter tyres during the Summer

Can't believe a major manufacturer advises storing tyres not on rims unwrapped, that is asking for trouble. IMHO. Totally agree with the on rims hanging method or stacking.

Can't believe a major manufacturer advises storing tyres not on rims unwrapped, that is asking for trouble. IMHO. Totally agree with the on rims hanging method or stacking.

It's hard to imagine it's that critical, after all they're not wrapped up when they're on the car! And they're sitting there with the weight of the car (well about a quarter of it) pressing them down!

It's hard to imagine it's that critical, after all they're not wrapped up when they're on the car! And they're sitting there with the weight of the car (well about a quarter of it) pressing them down!

But they are then regularly rotated! Plus driving on them releases lubricants to maintain the tyre. If one stores a car it's best done without the weight on the wheels, or better still remove the wheels and store as suggested above.

If they are on the car or rims inflated they tend to deflect any objects that are dropped on them. If they are off the rims they are more easily damaged, I'm not saying its critical to wrap them and maybe I'm being over cautious :dk:

UV light tends to go for winter tread compound tyres [ noticeable on the sidewalls ] more than conventional summer tyres which have more carbon black compared the high silica in the winter compound. Its therefore a good idea to cover them up--- large black bin liners should do the trick.

We just stack ours up on the floor as per the picture above. One pile of Continentals and one pile of Vredesteins.

mine were dumped in my garden all last year :eek::eek:

this year i'm putting them in binliners and storing them outside.

i stand mine up in the garage and rotate them a quarter of a turn every couple of weeks
then put them back on the 63 wear them out in a further couple of weeks then replace them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom